It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:05

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next New Topic Add Reply
Scott F Series
Post 09 Jul 2018, 19:52 • #1 
Guide
Holy cow, when did these pop up? I was looking at an Orvis SFG 4wt and the Scott G series 775, but a new Scott F happens to be on Telluride Angler. These are only showing up on TA's site and the Scott site isn't loading at the moment. I like that they are 4 piece models like the G series.

Edit: Official release is tomorrow. Should be shipping August 1.

Re: Scott F Series
Post 09 Jul 2018, 21:23 • #2 
Master Guide
Every one of them look great! :P

Post 10 Jul 2018, 07:32 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Good catch! They're not even listed on the Scott website yet - the F2 series is still up there. Rather than label the new series F3, they've gone back to just plain "F" which will cause some confusion down the road. It'll be interesting to see how they compare to the F2 action. IMO, these are pretty much niche rods, the longest being 7'2" and at $700 - ouch. It would be good to see a longer rod or two in the lineup - a 7'6" or a 7'9", but apparently not. Maybe they feel that would encroach on the shorter G2 (GS now I guess) graphites they offer.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 08:43 • #4 
Inactive
Not for nothing, and I havent cast them, but the 7'7" 2 and 3wt G series feel VERY nice when I looked them over at my local shop.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 10:06 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I love my F 794 - 4, 7'10" for a 4wt. It's a pity to see only super short rods in the line up given that longer glass has never been as good as it is today.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 12:42 • #6 
Master Guide
It puzzles me why Scott would introduce a line of short niche glass rods for $700. With all the great glass being produced by the boutique makers and Orvis under $700 why would one choose to buy a rod from this series. I. Can’t imagine them being nicer than a Barclay, *********, McFarland or a James Green.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 12:57 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Little kern golden wrote:
Can’t imagine them being nicer than a Barclay, *********, McFarland or a James Green.

Not to mention Kabuto, Kenney, Epic, and Steffen.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 13:03 • #8 
Guide
These are niche creeking rods for sure. I have an F2 663 and its a blast. Unless I'm at a large pond, lake, or river, I have the F2 with me. It's already a short tube, but I am interested in what a 4 piece would feel like. I should look away...I'm looking for more oomph anyways.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 14:01 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I've seen one in person, to the best of my knowledge they are yellow eglass.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 15:24 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Can't see me looking for factory built glass with amazing glass blanks & amazing builders these days. Scott is one of my favourite brands, owning two G2 rods.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 15:33 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
dustdog12 wrote:

The F2 rods are s-glass so it would surprise me to see Scott go away from that. Dusty - did you hear that through the grapevine?

Post 10 Jul 2018, 15:55 • #12 
Guide
tiptop wrote:
dustdog12 wrote:

The F2 rods are s-glass so it would surprise me to see Scott go away from that. Dusty - did you hear that through the grapevine?

Says so on the TA website, elastic "e glass" with new resins and tapers. Went with an orange dye this time.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 16:07 • #13 
Sport
On the Telluride Angler website it mentions the F-glass rods are made from E-glass. Interesting development.... I wonder if that’s because the new F series fly rods (so far) are shorter rods and light line weights. Short rods and light line fly rods can certainly be made well from E-glass and it’s less expensive than S-glass. Maybe they were running low on the S-glass they used for the F2 series rods and decided to go with E to save a few $ and produce a nice fly rod at the same time. On the same thought maybe Scott sold considerably more of the shorter F2 fly rods as most anglers think of fiberglass fly rods for small stream fishing.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 17:12 • #14 
Guide
The little ones , 583 and 622 look tempting but the grips appear much to long for my taste. More akin to a grip on a 7'-7 1/2' rod. I would like to get a blank if available and put a 4 1/2" grip on the 583, sweet!

Post 10 Jul 2018, 17:33 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
even though we have some amazing glass rod makers doing business these days, I wouldn't sell Scott short. Jim (Bartuli?) has designed many very fine rods and these deserve a proper look see. Only time will tell but there could very well be some gems among these new light line glass rods (think F2 663). I do wish Scott would try their hand at a long 3 wt. such as Kenney's 8'1 3 wt. though trying to improve on that rod may be a lesson in futility. I think the introduction of a 7'7 5 weight into the G series line up precluded any hope of a new 5 weight glass offering. In any case, I'm happy to see Scott staying relevant to the glass community. My hats off to them.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 18:06 • #16 
Master Guide
I wish Scott well and hope they sell a bunch of these rods. I am sure they will be nice and they did their homework and feel there is a market for these rods or they would not issue the series. Are the F2s going away? For years I was a Scott G series devotee when they were in the Bay Area. Always been a Scott fan and it sucks they stop selling blanks.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 18:32 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I was informed by the Scott Rep that it was Eglass, it looked like the same Eglass that we see from Barclay, McFarland, or James Green.

Post 11 Jul 2018, 06:30 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
OK. E-glass. I only read the for sale listing for the rods on Telluride Angler's website but there's also a review by them here: https://tellurideangler.com/casting-pon ... od-review/
There are separate reviews for each length which are loaded with hyperbole and glowing praise - the writer should be working for Scott. Don't get me wrong, I like the company and currently own and have owned many of their rods. One thing that caught my eye in the reviews is the claim that they are lighter than the F2 s-glass rods. If that's the case, and if I understand the difference between the two types of glass, these lighter e-glass rods have to be slower action than the F2 models -which are already on the slow side for glass. This is all just speculation on my part, it'll be interesting to hear some reviews from less biased sources.

Post 11 Jul 2018, 06:44 • #19 
Inactive
I think John Duncan and the rest of the crw at Telluride Anglers do a good job in their reviews. If you take the time to read them all (for other rods, too) you can suss out some real info, seeing which ones they favor and which ones they don't. They do a good job positively focusing on the models they prefer in a way that contrasts against the ones they don't. They, and Scott, are in business to sell rods after all. They give you enough hints.

I still feel like a new guy around here, but I'm going to say what a lot of us must be thinking: I can't wait for Aurelio to get his hands on some of these, especially the 663. His opinions seem sound in general, but his enthusiasm for the F2 663 has made me want to get one for a while now.

Post 11 Jul 2018, 16:54 • #20 
Sport
frogmorton wrote:
even though we have some amazing glass rod makers doing business these days, I wouldn't sell Scott short. Jim (Bartuli?) has designed many very fine rods and these deserve a proper look see. Only time will tell but there could very well be some gems among these new light line glass rods (think F2 663). I do wish Scott would try their hand at a long 3 wt. such as Kenney's 8'1 3 wt. though trying to improve on that rod may be a lesson in futility. I think the introduction of a 7'7 5 weight into the G series line up precluded any hope of a new 5 weight glass offering. In any case, I'm happy to see Scott staying relevant to the glass community. My hats off to them.

Agreed! I stumbled upon the new rods on the Scott website today while looking at their saltwater offerings. My first impression was "yeah, new glass rods from Scott!" followed immediately by "glad I grabbed my F2 653 when I did", followed by "aw crap, they are all 4 piece!". I had to quickly remind myself that Scott Bartuchi is quite the genius when it comes to fly rod design and is fully intune with both the heritage/lineage of the company and what the customers want. By all accounts he knocked it out of the park with the new GS series, somehow managing to make both fans of the original G and G2 series happy at the same time. That's no small feat, and I expect he took the same great care with the new F Series.

$700 is indeed very tough to swallow for a specialty tool from a major manufacturer, but for many that means I will absolutely cast first before buying. I plan to cast the 622 with the high hopes of finding a true 2wt. That all being said, my only real critique at this point would be I would have rather seen him attempt a longer 3wt then the 5 piece pack model as Frogmorton suggested.

Post 11 Jul 2018, 19:08 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Like DaveFin, I thought of Aurelio when i read about these rods. :)

Post 11 Jul 2018, 19:59 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
As said previously, Scott knows what they are doing. I have a few, Heli-Ply, G and an S4. Almost sold the S4 a few years ago, but revisited it this Summer and have found a solid use for it. My list of future rods has a couple glass Scott rods on it.

Post 11 Jul 2018, 20:39 • #23 
Guide
I’m not a fan of the grips or the reel seats at all. Also, using bright orange on sticks that would otherwise have a prime market for use on wary trout on Appalachian blue lines is a head scratcher. Wish they still sold blanks.

Post 12 Jul 2018, 07:11 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Someone suggested Scott chose eglass over sglass because they were trying to save money. They're not making descions like that to try to save production money on $700 rods. There's plenty of Scott glass fans out here. I'm figuring they'll sell some rods and we'll be reading the reviews. I hope if you buy one it's incredible. Me? I could hit the lottery and I'm still not throwing down $700 for a fly rod.

Post 12 Jul 2018, 09:23 • #25 
Inactive
The rising costs of rods is a pain in the ass, but you gotta pay to play. I guess it all depends on what your expectations are. I fish once or twice a week, almost every week of the year. Have been for years. If I pay for a top end rod, fish it often, and keep it with its lifetime warranty the cost is relatively low over time. If I keep it for a few years, learn some things from it, sell it for 60% of the value and reinvest the difference into a new rod, that works too.

No doubt you have to pick your battles, though. Buying a $700 rod for me means eating a lot of tuna fish for dinner for a bit.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next New Topic Add Reply