It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:19

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 May 2018, 19:15 • #1 
someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but rods with a designation such as a Steffen 8' 5/6 wt is identifying a rod that is rated for a 5DT/6WF line... I see a lot of remarks about these rods being, in the opinion of the poster, better as a 6wt rod than a 5wt rod, and I get the impression that they are comparing the rods performance between WF lines, i.e. a 5WF line vs a 6WF line... if this is indeed the case, such a rod would perform better using a 6WF line which it is rated for.

I just wanted to get some clarification on this for those not in the know... thanks.

Post 06 May 2018, 20:17 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think you're correct, but I fished a Steffen 4/5 all day today with a DT5, and it was just great. In addition to the DT/WF matching, I think there's a fishing-distance criterion associated with loading and feel with a short line. I fish inside of 40' virtually all the time, and so might fish the heavier line, as I do with a few of my rods with dual designations.

Post 06 May 2018, 20:50 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My takeaway from talking to Mark was that he recommends a 5wt for longer distances and a 6wt for closer fishing. No mention of the WF/DT thing. I’ve found that my 4/5 will fish either line weight well - whether it’s a WF or DT doesn’t seem to change anything (other than when trying to roll cast or mend past about 35ft... guess how often that comes up... ;) )

Post 06 May 2018, 21:12 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know, but judging from rods I've used in the past the rod markings indicate the line best used for 70' casts and a weight or two heavier works better up close. My understanding is that the first 30' of WF = 30' of DT = 30' of L +/- a few grains.
Pretty much in line with Brockton's comment.
But there is the bug in the back of my that a 4/5 is actually a 4 1/2 & 5/6 is really a 5 1/2 wt...Then there is the wide variance in line weight from brand to brand; maybe I'd just try a few and see what that rod likes with my stroke length.

Post 07 May 2018, 02:26 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Most rods will cast a range of line weights comfortably. A rod labeled #/# or even #/#/# is designed to be such rod - it has a broad sweet spot. Match the line to the flies and the fishing conditions expected.
It takes some casting skill to adjust technique to different lines and loads and one particular line may feel instinctively "sweeter", however if you put in some time to get to know a rod usually the sweet spot gets wider and wider and that can be useful.

Post 07 May 2018, 02:45 • #6 
Master Guide
For rods rated for dual line weights, I almost always use the heavier one. Though it's typically a DT. I had a Steffen 8.5 5/6 for a while that I liked best with a DT6.

Post 07 May 2018, 06:41 • #7 
Piscator
MTbound wrote:
someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but rods with a designation such as a Steffen 8' 5/6 wt is identifying a rod that is rated for a 5DT/6WF line... I see a lot of remarks about these rods being, in the opinion of the poster, better as a 6wt rod than a 5wt rod, and I get the impression that they are comparing the rods performance between WF lines, i.e. a 5WF line vs a 6WF line... if this is indeed the case, such a rod would perform better using a 6WF line which it is rated for.

I just wanted to get some clarification on this for those not in the know... thanks.

what's the difference between a 5- and 6-wt line?
If you have a big hairy bug, the 6-wt is going to turn it over better. If you're trying to make a quiet drop with small fly, the 5 is going to do it better.
Pretty cool to have both options in one rod.
Most glass rods are going to fish a range of lines, so the DT of one and WF of the other doesn't really apply.
(if they don't, get a different rod)
As a rule, the rod is going to fish more crisp with a lighter line.
As far as fishing in close, at that, you're never using the whole rod - just the tip of the rod is being loaded.
Casting as far as you can, then you're dipping into the rod butt.

Post 07 May 2018, 15:16 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe I'm misreading the original question, but I think the answer may be that no, you can't assume that a poster's reference like "better as a 4 wt" means a WF 4 wt. If the poster says he used a WF 4 when deciding on that preference, OK, but even then, what brand/model; some are half or more line weight heavy. Then there's issues of natural conditions, intended distance, presentation, flies, my stroke vs. yours, etc.

Not trying to make it overly complicated. The simple thing is that it's all just a recommendation, or reporting information from experience; even the rod maker's suggested line weight is just that, a suggested starting point. After all, if they say, in their most definitive voice, "this is a 6wt rod," that means nothing to me if for MY fishing, it's perfect with a DT7 or WF4. Or I guess it could mean that I miss out on perfection because I didn't want to explore beyond the maker's "true" line weight. The type of comments you've seen are just aids to help identify YOUR preferred line weight.

Post 09 May 2018, 00:49 • #9 
Master Guide
Upstreeam wrote:
Maybe I'm misreading the original question, but I think the answer may be that no, you can't assume that a poster's reference like "better as a 4 wt" means a WF 4 wt. If the poster says he used a WF 4 when deciding on that preference, OK, but even then, what brand/model; some are half or more line weight heavy. Then there's issues of natural conditions, intended distance, presentation, flies, my stroke vs. yours, etc.

Not trying to make it overly complicated. The simple thing is that it's all just a recommendation, or reporting information from experience; even the rod maker's suggested line weight is just that, a suggested starting point. After all, if they say, in their most definitive voice, "this is a 6wt rod," that means nothing to me if for MY fishing, it's perfect with a DT7 or WF4. Or I guess it could mean that I miss out on perfection because I didn't want to explore beyond the maker's "true" line weight. The type of comments you've seen are just aids to help identify YOUR preferred line weight.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I once I had a rod most folks seemed to enjoy with a WF7 that I happened to love with a DT5. YMMV.

Post 09 May 2018, 14:33 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
need to remember that for the first 30' of line, there is no distinction between DT and WF with most manufacturers.
so unless you are regularly fishing at distances of greater than 40' (30' line + 10' leader) then it won't matter.

Post 09 May 2018, 21:12 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I don't even put a line wt marking on rods I build for the exact reason one line can be very different than another. I say it it throws the line well then fish it.

Post 09 May 2018, 21:55 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
ARReflections wrote:
I don't even put a line wt marking on rods I build for the exact reason one line can be very different than another. I say it it throws the line well then fish it.

Sounds good to me.

Post 10 May 2018, 06:10 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
"what's the difference between a 5- and 6-wt line? "
By AFFTA or AFTMA charts, 20 grains spread over thirty feet, so ~.66 grains per foot (not counting any level line in front of the taper)
It hardly seems like I could even feel 20 grains.

Better question here is what is the difference between DT & WF over that same 30'? Supposedly none in mass, only in shape or profile?

Post 10 May 2018, 07:44 • #14 
Piscator
but with a WF line, you're forced to shoot at the end of the belly.
With a DT line, you can keep much more "belly" in the air with the fly rod, because you can keep turning it over.

Post 10 May 2018, 10:02 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
but with a WF line, you're forced to shoot at the end of the belly.
With a DT line, you can keep much more "belly" in the air with the fly rod, because you can keep turning it over.

Yep. And I find that’s a more accurate way to achieve distance but you need more space behind you. The WF is helpful when you need to cast 50ft but only have 30ft of room behind you.

Post 10 May 2018, 11:37 • #16 
Master Guide
This has been well covered. I used to have the DT/WF opinion when I started out years ago, but I have since been enlightened. And this site has some of the best explanations to that end. Like others have indicated, for casting distance I will use the lighter line...either WF or DT. For in close, or when using buggier flies, or when experiencing windy conditions, I will use the heavier line. With that said, the heavier line is usually the preferred choice for most of my fishing.

Post 30 May 2018, 01:59 • #17 
Master Guide
Yup. When a rod's inscription gives a range, it's a safe assumption that the highest rating is the one to line for, unless a person intends only to cast for distance. I have never felt a rod performed best with the lowest of stated options.

New Topic Add Reply