It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:59

New Topic Add Reply
Musky rod? Epic vs echo
Post 02 May 2018, 20:22 • #1 
Guide
Hello, I am looking for experience between the epic 10wt bandit and the echo bag 10wt quickshot. It looks like both are 8' 10wts. Does anyone know if the epic is faster than the echo? I currently use a sage pike (10 wt) and a sage musky (11 wt) with scientific angler sink 25 in a 400 grain and 450 grain. I love those setups, but really want to get a fiberglass equlivant for fun/backup/change of pace on long multiday trips.

Post 02 May 2018, 20:47 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You might want to ask Cameron over at The Fiberglass Manifesto. That type of rod is what he geeks out over. And he's tried just about every rod on the market.

Post 03 May 2018, 11:18 • #3 
Guide
Thanks! I left him a message

FYI, I contacted Echo and asked what type of glass they produce the bad ass glass with and they said E-glass, but in 2-3 months they are switching to S-glass. Do you think it would be worth the wait? I was sort of thinking so....

To follow up, I was also told this when I asked how I get the new s-glass versions:

"wait a couple of months and then ask your local dealer or online dealer to make sure the rod is the S-Glass version…internally we will change the part # so we can tell. But action will be the exact same, the benefits are slightly light in the hand and consistent color in the Glass so the paint looks better."

Post 04 May 2018, 15:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I don’t think that many of us on here have actually tried the new (8ft) version of the Bandit. The previous version has a devoted following and is a fantastic rod, but the new version is really new.

Post 04 May 2018, 17:38 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I had to go onto their website to see for myself...I kinda wish they didn't call it the "Bandit"....because I have The Bandit and it's not 8', nor is it 4pc. BTW, I love my "Original" Bandit & and Musky are my primary quarry with it (well, "Tiger" Musky). The B.A.G. Quickshot is on my shortlist of rods to play around with.

Post 04 May 2018, 17:45 • #6 
Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
I had to go onto their website to see for myself...I kinda wish they didn't call it the "Bandit"....because I have The Bandit and it's not 8', nor is it 4pc. BTW, I love my "Original" Bandit & and Musky are my primary quarry with it (well, "Tiger" Musky). The B.A.G. Quickshot is on my shortlist of rods to play around with.

Sweet! yeah I mostly go after tigers here in montana too. I think I am going to wait to see what the new s glass version of the B.A.G. - the price is just too nice for a rod like this.

for reference have you thrown any 10 - 11 wt graphite rods and how do you like that bandit compared to them?

Post 04 May 2018, 17:49 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Eatfood wrote:
clarkman23 wrote:

Sweet! yeah I mostly go after tigers here in montana too. I think I am going to wait to see what the new s glass version of the B.A.G. - the price is just too nice for a rod like this.

for reference have you thrown any 10 - 11 wt graphite rods and how do you like that bandit compared to them?

I also throw a TFO MiniMag 8-10 (more of a 10+) that I picked up recently and actually really like it as well.

Post 07 May 2018, 16:44 • #8 
Master Guide
How is the weight of the TFO in real fishing conditions? I still haven't gotten a chance to get out with mine.

Post 08 May 2018, 10:01 • #9 
Master Guide
I've had a cast with the B.A.G Quickshot 10wt. A very nice rod. Better than the Bandit, I think.

I love the MiniMag but I haven't used mine for well over a year now.

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 08 May 2018, 10:24 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
skunked_ wrote:
How is the weight of the TFO in real fishing conditions? I still haven't gotten a chance to get out with mine.

negligible, imo. I've never been scared off by the physical weight of a rod, but more how it feels when casting it. Granted, I bought the TFO sight unseen, but if I didn't like it, I would have sold it. It's easy to balance and with the shorter length, the swing weight doesn't feel as "heavy" as many 9' 8wts I've cast that weighed 2+ ounces less in physical weight.

Post 08 May 2018, 10:27 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Kalgrm wrote:
I've had a cast with the B.A.G Quickshot 10wt. A very nice rod. Better than the Bandit, I think.

I love the MiniMag but I haven't used mine for well over a year now.

Cheers,
Graeme

I've always valued your opinion (spot on with your MiniMag thoughts), so thanks a lot...now, I'm REALLY going to have to get my hands on a Quickshot!

Post 08 May 2018, 13:18 • #12 
Master Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
skunked_ wrote:

negligible, imo. I've never been scared off by the physical weight of a rod, but more how it feels when casting it. Granted, I bought the TFO sight unseen, but if I didn't like it, I would have sold it. It's easy to balance and with the shorter length, the swing weight doesn't feel as "heavy" as many 9' 8wts I've cast that weighed 2+ ounces less in physical weight.

Great--thanks.

Post 08 May 2018, 18:17 • #13 
Master Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
I've always valued your opinion (spot on with your MiniMag thoughts), so thanks a lot...now, I'm REALLY going to have to get my hands on a Quickshot!

Thanks mate.

The shorter 4pc B.A.G. is also a good rod to fly with.

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 12 Jul 2018, 09:55 • #14 
Guide
Old thread I know, but I just received an Echo BAG Quickshooter and am very impressed. It is every bit as good, maybe better, as the Epic's I've owned (580, 686, 888, 990) - used a Rio Permit #10 on it and it was just effortless casting. Well built as well. No connection with Echo, just very impressed. They just need to make a Quickshooter 12wt too.

Post 12 Jul 2018, 12:34 • #15 
Master Guide
Thanks, Peter. I am thinking about picking up the 10wt Quickshot. I have the 9' version of the rod and love it.

New Topic Add Reply