It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:08

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Penn IM6 Rods?
Post 27 Feb 2018, 17:39 • #1 
Master Guide
So, I shouldn't go to the fly shop. Fly shops and gun shops are my kryptonite. I cannot walk into either kind without finding something to lust after, or bring home (I would say Pet shops are the same, but I have far more will power when it comes to things that poop & eat than I do things I don't have to feed or clean up after besides myself and my kiddo)

I went to my favorite shop today to consign a rod I don't use anymore (a 13 foot carbon spey rod) - I spent 10 minutes too long in the store after agreeing on a price. Wound up horse trading it instead of selling it - and I had two rods come home with me - a pair of Penn "Gold Medal" IM6 2 piece graphite rods - one a 9' 6 weight, the other a 9' 7 weight. Build quality on both is very good - both rods say Made in the USA on them.

Rods are brown with red wraps and have nice cherry or rosewood reel seat inserts and nickle silver hardware. They kind of remind me of the Sage RPL rods or some of the St Croix rods from the late 90's.

The shop owner told me he's been sitting on these rods since he opened the shop - they were good rods but the Penn name made them slow to move because folks don't typically associate Penn with fly tackle. The Made in USA stickers peaked my interest, and I am wondering if Penn actually made these rods themselves, or if they are relabeled rods from another maker? If anyone here has info on them I'd be happy to soak up some knowledge about them. I don't have any 6 or 7 weight lines currently - closest I have are a Sci Anglers GPX taper 5 weight, and a true to weight 8 weight. I lined up the 6 weight with the GPX 5 and did some test casting on the sidewalk outside. I'd say these are a fairly smooth casting medium fast action rod - pretty typical of a lot of IM6 rods.

I figure they'll make great bass and trout streamer rods - like I needed anymore of those. I'll probably fish these more than I fished the spey rod though - I haven't had it out in 2 years.

Re: Penn IM6 Rods?
Post 27 Feb 2018, 18:18 • #2 
Piscator
My good friend and Rockport guide buddy, Tim, whom I taught to fly fish, had the salt 8-wt with matching Penn reel.
They were a great buy against Sage Graphite III/Lamson or Abel at the time, and the Penn reel had a better drag than the Lamson.

Post 27 Feb 2018, 18:20 • #3 
Master Guide
I owned one of those, mine was a 4pc 5wt, back in the mid 90’s. Decent casting medium fast like yours. USA made also, if I had to put a bet on who rolled the blank, Talon or Lamiglas. Both made those Root Beer blanks and the tapers were very similar to the Pacific Bay TRF and IGFA series of blanks, which were made by Lamiglas and Talon. Could be someone else, but the time frame when those blanks were popular, my money would be on them.

Post 28 Feb 2018, 12:42 • #4 
Sport
I'm trying to remember back in 90s. I had a Penn rod and was told that the rod was made by LCI. Loomis Composites Ind was owed by Gary and his brother. I think LCI became Talon but not sure.

Post 28 Feb 2018, 22:27 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Shurfire-You might be right about the rodmaker.Gary Loomis was with Talon before he went I believe to Lamiglas.I had an 8 1/2 ft. 8wt. Penn and thought it was a decent rod.

Post 01 Mar 2018, 07:24 • #6 
Sport
Stonefly wrote:
Shurfire-You might be right about the rodmaker.Gary Loomis was with Talon before he went I believe to Lamiglas.I had an 8 1/2 ft. 8wt. Penn and thought it was a decent rod.

I believe Gary started with Lamiglas.

Post 02 Mar 2018, 12:30 • #7 
Master Guide
I think SHURFIRE is Correct, Gary started building/designing rods at Lamiglas before moving to other ventures. His current ventures are Northfork Composites and Edge Rods, though I'm not sure how Edge is doing, as IIRC that was a partnership from TFO, and per the owner of my local fly shop who is a longtime friend of Gary, TFO and Mr. Loomis aren't working together anymore.

I did get to wiggle some of the Edge rods in that store and ohboy are they crisp, light little wands. They are so light that my impression was they felt fragile and delicate. But then again, I fish heavy weight stuff a lot anymore, and a high end, high modulus carbon 3 or 5 weight is going to feel really delicate compared to 7-10 weight stuff I've been using most recently.

I did get a couple cell phone pix of the 6 weight after a little sidewalk casting. Pretty standard 1990's fare, which I dig, because that's when I got into fly fishing, and this rod looks just like the ones I lusted after when I was a teenage kid frothing up the water with my $30 South Bend rods

Post 02 Mar 2018, 16:43 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I remember back sometime in the early to mid 90's, WalMart had a special order catalog. They offered the Penn Gold Medal rods and reels, and I was sorely tempted to place an order. About the time I finally felt ready to do so, they had discontinued the special order program. Oh well, it would just be another graphite rod gathering dust in my closet.

Larry

Post 02 Mar 2018, 21:14 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I was told Gary Loomis owned Talon rods before he went to Lamiglas.After Lamiglas he started Gary Loomis rods.

Post 03 Mar 2018, 06:48 • #10 
Piscator
Mac, can we see a ferrule on that rod, please? I like the Pac-bay hardware - always liked them on my Fishers.

Larry, if you ever needed a 9' 7-wt,(or heavier-line) rod, you'd probably like a nice IM6 rod much better than equivalent length/line in e-glass - not admitting it would be obstinate.

Post 03 Mar 2018, 09:22 • #11 
Sport
Stonefly wrote:
I was told Gary Loomis owned Talon rods before he went to Lamiglas.After Lamiglas he started Gary Loomis rods.

There is a web site with a interview with Gary Loomis and his life as a rodmaker, he list his jobs before G Loomis as Cascade Rods, Lamiglas and then Loomis Composites. Originally LCI was started to make arrow shafts and later rods.

Post 03 Mar 2018, 21:39 • #12 
Master Guide
Bulldog, here's the ferrule on both rods:

And a few better shots of the rods:

The grip of the 7 is considerably beefier than that on the 6, despite both being Western style / reversed half wells. I prefer the fatter grip on the 7 weight, due to some nerve damage in my hands & wrists.

Post 04 Mar 2018, 05:40 • #13 
Piscator
Did Loomis build spigot ferrules?
Both the epoxy treatment near the butt and the ferrules look awfully Fisher to me.

Post 04 Mar 2018, 12:26 • #14 
Master Guide
I have never seen spigots on a Loomis. When did Fisher close up shop?

Post 04 Mar 2018, 14:25 • #15 
Piscator

Post 04 Mar 2018, 16:04 • #16 
Master Guide
Quite possible these are Fishers then, as they were certainly produced on the 90s. Penn, I discovered moved to offshore made rods under this name before jumping out of the fly rod game. These were the earlier rods in the series. Still cannot find a definitie answer as to who actually made them.

Post 04 Mar 2018, 16:44 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Spigots? I'd like to see another picture, because that looks like tip-over-butt to me, with sections joined as photographed, no?

Post 04 Mar 2018, 19:43 • #18 
Master Guide
They are tip over butt, I just thought Bulldog was asking a general question. Then I asked one about Fisher.

Post 06 Mar 2018, 10:48 • #19 
Piscator
I see now

Post 06 Mar 2018, 22:34 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
[quote=bulldog1935]
Larry, if you ever needed a 9' 7-wt,(or heavier-line) rod, you'd probably like a nice IM6 rod much better than equivalent length/line in e-glass - not admitting it would be obstinate.

Ron, I don't have any particular animus against graphite, just most are not to my liking anymore. Most of the time I fish with 2 to 3 weight rods and rarely go above 4 weight anymore. I still have a few graphite rods, but most are 4 weight or under, and I still prefer the action of glass. I have a Browning Silaflex and a Hardy JET that will handle a 7 weight line quite well and that is sufficient to my needs. A friend let me cast his 9' 7 weight Sage recently and I found it tiring. Which is probably why I prefer rods of 8' length or less. I still find some of my graphite rods pleasant to cast, i.e., Winston WT 8' 4 weight, G.Loomis Streamdance Metolius 8' 3 weight, and also a Redington CT 2 weight. After several years of fishing light to ultralight rods, usually short rods, I find I don't really enjoy casting heavier, longer rods.

Larry

Post 07 Mar 2018, 06:54 • #21 
Piscator
It becomes a question of matching the tackle to the job at hand, and MOC is part of that picture.
When you get to long and heavier line weight, it's no longer a question of "action", it's simply a question of weight - the bulk modulus of the rod has to be the same to do the job - hence the obstinance. Nor was graphite ever the right material for short light-line rods.

7-wt Fisher Original

I've never understood why one would want a 2-wt for any occasion, which is undoubtedly my obstinance.
MF66
a good glass 705 will do anything on the light end I choose to do, and that should include dry-fly fishing a 3-wt line when it's on the agenda (and the rod is in fact a good 705).

Post 07 Mar 2018, 09:48 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
What it all boils down to is what we enjoy doing and how we enjoy doing it. 'Nuff said.

Larry

Post 09 Mar 2018, 07:48 • #23 
Piscator
mmckenzie wrote:
...I had two rods come home with me - a pair of Penn "Gold Medal" IM6 2 piece graphite rods - one a 9' 6 weight, the other a 9' 7 weight. Build quality on both is very good - both rods say Made in the USA on them.

What you acquired here are two examples of where graphite, especially IM6, shines - though others may be too obstinate to get it.
Hope you enjoy fishing them, and thanks for bringing them up.

As far as that perfect 705, that was aimed at rod-rollers.
I think where all those light-line graphite rods came from was trying to find the perfect 705 in the wrong MOC.

Post 09 Mar 2018, 11:49 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Obstinacy is when you keep pushing your ideas against somebody else's preference. I offer no criticism of anybody else's likes or dislikes, and I expect the same. As stated, I have no dislike of graphite, I just prefer fishing glass in lighter weights.

Larry

Post 09 Mar 2018, 14:17 • #25 
Piscator
that's certainly opposite of the definition - it's defined as holding onto an opinion that goes against facts.

It would be an obstinate choice to pick my first 9' 8-wt Wonderod because it's glass, over an equivalent Fisher Original - while it was an inexpensive and durable (still have it) learning tool, its performance where it would be needed isn't in the same league.
second cast of the morning - first cast was a larger spec that tore the hook out on its second run
while the Wonderod caught a few specs, it's not in my list for this job

mmckenzie, Nice rods - thanks for posting them, and I'm sure you'll enjoy fishing them.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply