It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:01

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Feb 2018, 08:40 • #1 
Sport
I've never heard of these rods. They are on closeout and I was wondering if anyone had opinions on these rods.

Post 04 Feb 2018, 12:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Do a search for Powell Sweet P and you’ll find some info.

Post 05 Feb 2018, 21:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I remember when the Powell family still owned the company. They made a fine premium rod. I never thought I'd see the day when their high end rod would retail for $179.

Post 05 Feb 2018, 21:39 • #4 
Guide
Scud,

I have several of the old Chico CA Powell rods. Some of finest ever made. They went through a bad partnership with Charles Schwab in the late '90s I believe and today's Powell are just the name and nothing else. The old Powell rods was a family business. Loved their original reel seat.

Here is a link to what looks like the best old Powell rods info: www.classicpowellrod.com

Tom

Post 06 Feb 2018, 08:02 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Tom,
It's good to see that someone set up a site for the classic Powell rods. Thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed reading it.
Igloo lake,
Having a Powell rod once meant you had a quality American made product. The Sweet P is made in China by a company that owns the Powell name now. There's nothing else about it that can be associated with the old Powell rods other than the name. I don't recall seeing any posts. $90 and you get to roll the dice. Sock and tube is worth $30...

Post 06 Feb 2018, 10:56 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
According to Rich Morrison, the owner of the website Tom406 listed above, the Powell SweetP is nothing more than a Cabela's CGR. The only difference aside from the color that I could see is that the SweetP appears to have tip over butt ferrules rather than spigot ferrules. Sierra Trading Post currently offers them for sale at a very low price, but you can get the CGR for $10 more with a lifetime warranty from Cabela's.

Larry

Post 06 Feb 2018, 17:57 • #7 
Sport
Appreciate the feedback
Thanks

New Topic Add Reply