It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:42

New Topic Add Reply
CTS PERSONALIZED BLANKS
Post 07 Jan 2018, 10:00 • #1 
Sport
Hello again...
we want to buy a blank PERSONALIZED CTS..., of 8,6 and line 4, but I don't understand well the different options to personalize the blank. My English isn't good and I don't know what means the reduction that he says in the CTS web: butt standard/tipe reduce 2 line wts ; butt standard/tipe reduce 1 line wts;
butt standard/tipe increase 1 or 2 line wts; etc...,, there are many options that I don’t understand.
Can you help us??? Us please the action of 480, but we it want the blank of 8,6, which is the better option????

Thanks !!!!!

Post 07 Jan 2018, 13:49 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You should contact them. They reply quickly to emails. I stumbled across a toll free number from the US and called them. They are very helpful and professional.
What's "better" is really subjective. I have some vintage Hardy's in 806,866 and 906. Most people would think that the 806 is the "best" of the three. I like it a lot. They're actually all good though. I've found that I fish the 866 the most. It's really a matter of what you prefer and what fits your needs best. Get what YOU want. CTS makes great blanks. You can't go wrong on that.

Post 07 Jan 2018, 16:36 • #3 
Guide
That is an interesting question. I see why you are asking. It seems that they are offering different levels of stiffness for the lower butt end and the upper tip end. Softer (more flex) and stiffer (less flex). So if I choose "Butt reduce 2 line wts / Tip reduce 1 line wt" do I end up with a 1wt rod or a really slow 4wt? Neat idea to customize to the users preference but without casting the combinations of varying butt and tip flex how do I know which I would prefer? I would want to “try before I buy” but how would I do that? Maybe a trip to New Zealand is in order. Of course you could just get the “Standard” and then customize the color.

Post 07 Jan 2018, 18:00 • #4 
Master Guide
I've had about half a dozen blanks built by CTS to my specific designs. They've all turned out well.

It's pretty simple to understand: choose a base weight for a blank and add or subtract line weights in various parts of the blank. What you're doing is making the action faster or slower to suit your needs. If you like a faster action (more tippy), reduce the tip weight. If you like a rod to bend more into the butt, reduce the butt weight.

For example, my four piece 12' 5wt two hander Quartz is a 6wt base blank with a 5wt tip and a 7wt butt. I like faster action blanks, so it suits me well. (In reality, it's still a 'glass rod, so it's much slower than an equivalent CF rod would be.)

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 08 Jan 2018, 12:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
What you're stating Graham is great news for someone who's doing a lot of custom building. It's really remarkable. It really adds uncertainty for someone who wants a couple blanks and is uncertain. It could back fire for CTS if people are getting caught up in paralysis by analysis. I'd stick with the standard tapers because I know I like them. I'll let someone else buy multiple blanks so they can try to figure out the if and what. But that's me. I can see it's a good thing for lots of people. Don't get me wrong.
I also can see it opening the door for guys who'd like to build multi tip rods. Bass tip; trout tip; dry fly action, etc... Should be interesting. Imagine a rod sock with multiple butt, mid, and tip sections. Kinda like a set of Legos™ for fly fishermen.
Some of you are old enough to remember when the Pittsburgh Pirates had gold, black and pin striped uniforms. Between all the mix-&-match with hats, pants and jerseys they had 36 different uni combos! So...does this mean you can build a 7'6" 3wt, 4wt and 5wt and mix-match with them all?

Post 08 Jan 2018, 18:23 • #6 
Master Guide
These are glass rods: build a standard 4wt and you'll easily cast a 3 and a 5 weight line with it. :)

But I suppose you could play with multiple tips and butts if you wanted. I'm not sure how CTS would deal with the ferrules, but I'm sure it could be done.

I don't think people will be suffering paralysis by analysis. Most people will just buy a standard CTS Quartz (if it's 'glass they want). It's only nerds like me - those not satisfied with the standard rod action - who will even consider getting a custom blank produced. My first one was a bit nerve-wracking but it came out REALLY well (a 1 piece 10wt 8' fibreglass blank with a very fast action). It's the best fishing rod I own - period! (I'm not going into details because I'm now selling the rod commercially in partnership with my local fly shop.)

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 09 Jan 2018, 10:31 • #7 
Sport
Thanks!!! We sent a email to CTS. We are waiting the answer.
Cheers

Post 13 Jun 2018, 11:01 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Just finished building an 8'6" "4wt, 4 piece custom blank. I ordered it with the butt +1 and the tip -1 (which makes it more of a 3 wt in my way of thinking but CTS labeled it a 4wt). The result is a very nice 3/4 wt rod. The action is medium despite being faster than standard and the rod is certainly ideal for delicate presentations. Reminds me of the T&T Paradigm 863 - 3 which is a good thing. Except it's glass and can deal with a range of line weights much better. It's very light at 3 ounces built out with a cork reel seat and Garrison style nickel silver cap and ring. Incredibly fine diameter on the butt for such a long glass rod.

Will make a nice low water light nymph and dry fly rod and seems purpose made for soft hackles. If you are looking for a general purpose 8'6" 4wt I would go +2 on the butt and keep the standard tip.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 12:43 • #9 
Guide

Last edited by PENZZZ on 14 Jun 2018, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 14:56 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
You need longer effective rod length if you want to play at distance. That means a longer and/or stiffer rod. An 8'6" to 9' 4wt graphite fast action (stiff butt/relatively soft tip) rod for example..... In glass you cannot duplicate that length and action without getting too heavy but you would want to go as long and as fast action as you reasonably could. There's a relatively easy test you could do - take an Epic 580, put a 4wt long belly line on it and see how it works for you. Use that as a starting point - or maybe ending point and deciding that graphite is a better material for this purpose.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 15:27 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
It is always fun to look at options for different rods. But I think you could also look at your line type and casting. Most 4 weights will cast/fish out to 50 feet or so. Just as an example, all of the late 70s Winston Stalkers were described in just that way. They were exceptional rods, but not because of these modest distances in particular. I will make a guess that you are using a WF line, in which case the first change would be to try a double taper so that there is more capability to extend line and more capability to throw mends for the best presentation.

I will say, I have never handled the particular CTS you have, but I would be astonished if it can't be lined and cast to fish comfortably at 45 or 50 feet--and with very little in the way of specialized casting technique or brand of line.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 15:47 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
No question a glass 4wt can fish at 45' but PENZZZ says he wants to do fancy slack line casts at distance that he normally does closer in. That might be a bit of a challenge - I can think that throwing a 90° dogleg at the end of a 45' cast might not be all that easy for example. It's a matter of using the available techniques to make the presentation and glass will bring some limitations with it when fishing at distance. Might mean you just have to look for an easier way to achieve a viable presentation.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 16:12 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I find if I want every last inch from a cast I'd get a line with a long belly. WF runs out of weight to cast and a DT starts to strains the rod at a certain point.
A 4wt line on a 5wt rod could be the remedy or dare I say the g-word.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 17:22 • #14 
Guide

Last edited by PENZZZ on 14 Jun 2018, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 18:13 • #15 
Master Guide
Hi Jeff,

Like Whrlpool, I'd also be astonished if the rod is not capable of casting to 50' with the slack line presentations you're after. I've got an Epic 476 that will happily cast a 4wt line to 70' if I ask it to. I suspect it's probably your casting at fault rather than the rod (sorry) but I've got a couple of questions first before stating that outright.

Can you describe how the line behaves when you attempt those casts? Do the loops tail? Are the loops too wide? Does the line land sideways? Does it collapse in a heap?

Can I ask what line you're using on the rod? (Brand and model). Very short heads are not good for longer casts if delicacy is required. DT lines offer more control as the cast length increases and at 45', it is nowhere near being "overloaded". That's only 30' of line plus 8' of rod and 7' of leader, which almost exactly how line ratings are designated.*

Are you're able to easily cast to 70' with other rods you have? The answer to this indicates to me what sort of line control you have.

Are you double hauling on these casts? (You shouldn't need to, but personally, I do it on all casts for the tip control it offers. I almost can't help it. :) )

Have you placed this outfit into the hands of a friend who you know can cast any rod? Did he or she have problems reaching 50' with it?

What leader length are you using?

Generally speaking, I've found 'glass rods require a long translation phase before the rod rotates into the cast. If you are not conscious of that aspect of the cast, there's a good chance a nice light 'glass rod will expose that error in your cast when you try to reach out further. (It did for me - 'glass was a good "casting lie detector" for me while I was learning.)

At 45', I'd be very surprised if I needed to tap the reserve power of any rod. If so, the blank has the wrong rating. However, with all else is equal, I've found that strengthening the butt section of the 'glass blanks will give them more reserve power and make the whole rod "less bouncy" during the cast.

Cheers,
Graeme

*All rods are designed to cast much more than 30' of DT line. That's just a calibration point to get a line weight. If you have the skill, the rod should carry nearly a full 80' DT line of the correct weight during the cast.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 18:46 • #16 
Guide

Last edited by PENZZZ on 14 Jun 2018, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 19:18 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
The suggestions are well intended, I can assure you, and I can just about say the same for Kalgrm, who also described potential custom variations. But the point is that any 4-weight rod will do what was described, including casting 50 feet or more of line to create slack when the forecast is snubbed for a shorter presentation.

Of course it is fun to tinker for a feeling of doing that more easily, but a little more butt diameter or tip length is hard to speculate about at the extremes of performance, let alone the normal range. Changes in feel, maybe; changes in capability . . .

Certainly, though, you could ask CTS what they would recommend since they know the baseline characteristics of the blank best. It would be interesting to know if they thought little revisions would fulfill the need described.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 20:27 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Whrlpool mentioned changes in capability.
I believe most any decent rods is capable of providing more performance than most anglers can utilize. I also believe that the more time someone spends fishing a single rig, the better they get with that combo. I've often heard that some of the best fly anglers are the ones that are fishing the same single rod for years on end. May seem boring but makes sense to me...
I recently purchased a new rod. I've fished it five outings in a row. It's casting more line and performing more request now than it did during my first outing with it.
I own a few CTS rods and think they're some of the best glass rods available. That 804 should cast really well. Line could be an issue. Having a reel that's not balanced with the rod could be an issue.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 21:20 • #19 
Master Guide
I agree that you can hit that distance. I can throw all of a 444sl dt5f on a kenney 8055, and all of a 444sl dt6f on a scott g906. Those are certainly rods nobody would choose in a distance contest. I never tried to throw the whole line on my kenney 794 but I would bet I could carry 60' of 444sl dt4f plus leader on it no problem.

Post 14 Jun 2018, 01:15 • #20 
Master Guide
Sorry Jeff. I'm afraid I can't offer you any more than I did at the start of the thread. I don't know how can I make any further (educated) suggestions without understanding your casting ability. (Or indeed, knowing the setup you're currently casting.)

CTS Quartz rods are very similar to Epic 'glass rods. The Epic 476 can easily produce presentation casts at 45'. YMMV.

Steve at CTS is very helpful. I think you should speak to him about it.

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 14 Jun 2018, 01:33 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I second Whirlpool's suggestion of snubbing longer casts (it's also been called pull back) to create slack. Together with suitable leader design this will work - most of the time. It's simple and doesn't require much skill. It will work even with a slower rod. Of course this is a limited and somewhat crude tool but it can be very effective.

Compared to a good graphite 904 any glass rod - even custom S glass with +2 butt stiffness for reserve power - will offer a narrower set of options regarding line manipulation at distance. When you have less options, if you use those available skillfully, you can still get by very well in most cases. It simplifies the way you fish and that might even be desirable.

Pure distance is another story - glass can reach out pretty far, as far as anyone can effectively fish and perhaps further - but that's not the issue here.

New Topic Add Reply