It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:20

New Topic Add Reply
Same blank 2pc v. 4pc
Post 04 Jan 2018, 17:50 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hypothetical question: if you have two glass blanks of identical weight, length, and taper, and ferrule one with two sections, and the other with four sections, what would you expect end up with in terms of rod characteristics? Would one be heavier? Would one of them be quicker? or slower? How would they differ casting-wise and fishing-wise?

Post 04 Jan 2018, 18:34 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Sounds like your just stirring the pot !
What type of ferrules do these hypothetical supposedly identical blanks have ?
What if you have a 3rd blank and it's a 1 piece no ferrules.
Tight Lines And Why Not Just Make It 8 Piece Loops :lol
Andy M

Post 04 Jan 2018, 18:56 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
No, no...no BS Andy, I am trying to understand if given two identical tip over butt ferruled glass blanks, will the blank ferruled into two sections behave (weigh, feel, cast, fish)noticeably different than the blank ferruled into four sections?

Post 04 Jan 2018, 19:16 • #4 
Master Guide
I gotta think they would be close

Post 04 Jan 2018, 21:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have 2 three wt factory Lamiglas blanks I have built. One is 3pc the other a 6pc. I have to tell you the 6pc feels faster. Gotta be those add’l ferrules don’t you think? Roy

Post 04 Jan 2018, 21:54 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Roy, thanks for weighing in. Interesting that the rod with more ferrules feels faster -- I thought the added weight of more ferrules might slow it down.

I recall reading on this forum that some folks prefer the 4 piece Fenwick FF70 over the 2 piece. Why is that?

Choice between four piece, or two piece is generally regarded as one decided by convenience factor. Easier to pack in, and easier for air travel. Other than portability, are there any other advantages to cutting and ferruling a blank at all? Do you think it make a difference in the feel and action of the finished rod?

Last edited by picketpin52 on 05 Jan 2018, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Jan 2018, 22:51 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I had a 2pc 8ft Parametric that I made into a 4pc. As far as I can tell it still casts the same, certainly not any faster, still slow and smooth. I use it a lot packing in places.

Post 05 Jan 2018, 04:06 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I question how that could be; Tip over butt would seem to me that each rod would be made from entirely different blanks; real crude, but draw two straight lines that intersect to create a taper, now imagine cutting that in such a way as to have the inside of the top larger than the outside of the butt. Makes me think the blanks must be made as separate pieces designed to fit that way.
Two piece rod rolled on two mandrels and four piece rolled on four mandrels?
If this is the case then ideally an engineer could design the individual parts to give any outcome desired, within reason. Given length and load characteristics one should be able to match the action very close regardless of number of pieces.
With other kinds of ferules it would seem to me each ferule would stiffen the rod at that point and also that each would add some weight to the finished rod.
I have never really got my head around slower and faster. Does stiffer equal faster?

Post 05 Jan 2018, 09:34 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I'm thinking ferrules don't bend. The rod with four ferrules would have more non-bending area than the rod with two ferrules. Therefore, the rod with more ferrules would be stiffer.
Picketpin; my thinking is more ferrules = more stuff that can go wrong. Nothing's wrong with having portability but it comes with added risks. If the multiple piece rod is properly designed, the difference in feel should be minimal. I'd figure in answering your hypothetical question: the four piece rod would be heavier and stiffer. It should feel a bit faster but could also wind up feeling slower IF the ferrules are interrupting the transfer of action. Overall: for the same blank four pieces should be heavier and faster.

Post 05 Jan 2018, 10:06 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I had Mark Steffen build me a 5pc. 3/4 a few years ago and it is quicker or faster than the 2 PC.........aurelio

Post 05 Jan 2018, 10:23 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
It all depends on how the rods are designed. I had an FF70-4 and an FF70-2 and the 4 piece was faster. My FF85 3 piece is one line weight slower than an FF85 2 piece. I have Parametric 8' 3 piece that's one line weight slower than the same rod in 2 piece. I had a 7'6" Lami pack rod that was at least 6 pieces and it was noticeably faster than the same rod in 2 piece format.

Post 05 Jan 2018, 10:47 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Given the same taper a stiffer rod is faster while a heavier rod is slower. Since adding ferrules usually adds both stiffness and weight the end result will depend on the proportion of weight and stiffness added as well as where the ferrules are placed. There isn't a fixed rule - not to mention that tapers are often tweaked according to the number of sections.

Post 05 Jan 2018, 11:30 • #13 
Master Guide
Quote:
I question how that could be; Tip over butt would seem to me that each rod would be made from entirely different blanks; real crude, but draw two straight lines that intersect to create a taper, now imagine cutting that in such a way as to have the inside of the top larger than the outside of the butt

Doesn’t need to be a tip over .... I’ve made several Tadpole rods the way he describes using spigot ferrules.

Post 05 Jan 2018, 11:34 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
ok-- so it seems there isnt a "yes" or "no" answer. what i hear is that it all depends on what the designer had in mind. The design of a blank meant to make a two piece rod, would differ from the design of a blank intended to make a four piece rod?

full disclosure... my interest in this subject is only because i want to replace my 6'8" 4wt Riffle glass rod. i built the two piece blank a few years ago, and sold it. looking at phil's catalog i see it is also offered as a four piece blank. i have not talked to phil yet to see if he knows how the two and four piece blanks differ. any insight is appreciated.

pp52

Post 05 Jan 2018, 12:04 • #15 
Master Guide
I had a TMR 'Streamer Special ' 8'3" in 2 piece originally and then had Shane construct an 8'3" 'Streamer Special on another TMR Streamer special blank, he cut it to a 4 piece. When comparing them I could not tell the difference between them. They use spigot ferrules. I kept the 4 piece and it is one of my favorite rods and I take it to a lot of places I would not have taken the 2 piece rod.

I may not be a nuanced as some though. Shane told me he couldn't tell a difference either. Tom Morgan may have noted a difference as he designed his 4 piece 'Streamer Special' at 81/2' long.

Post 05 Jan 2018, 16:06 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
springer1 wrote:
Quote:
I question how that could be; Tip over butt would seem to me that each rod would be made from entirely different blanks; real crude, but draw two straight lines that intersect to create a taper, now imagine cutting that in such a way as to have the inside of the top larger than the outside of the butt

Doesn’t need to be a tip over .... I’ve made several Tadpole rods the way he describes using spigot ferrules.

post #3 says tip over, but yeah with spigots or external ferules you could cut a long blank any where.

"Picketpin; my thinking is more ferrules = more stuff that can go wrong. Nothing's wrong with having portability but it comes with added risks."
My thoughts exactly. I have never been any where that a two piece didn't fit; up to a 9' rod, 9' and over I'd chose three piece, probably.
I can see that if I were mass producing rods with full guarantee that #1 short pieces are easier to make, #2 short pieces are easier to duplicate for a repair, but as a consumer it only benefits me if I want a brief case rod. If my dash board was 9' wide I'd want all one piece rods.

Post 05 Jan 2018, 16:19 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
yes, trev, i believe you are correct that multi-piece tip over butt ferruled blanks are not cut, but sections rolled separately. so, a rod built on two sections of equal length, versus four sections of equal length, with tip over butt ferrules, and both rods the same length when assembled....the two piece rod will weigh less and be softer than the four piece rod. in some cases more noticeable than others. my head is hurting. i need to go fishing!

Post 05 Jan 2018, 16:51 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
For a spigoteded blank, the blank is one piece and cut. The more, ferrules, the stiffer/faster it will become, and a heavier line weight may be needed to make the rod work well.

With tip over butt, each section has to be designed separately. To some degree, yes the rod designer can design around extra sections but with each additional section, there is less rod to work with. Feel and action diminish with each added section because there is only so much the designer can do to make a rod with more pieces feel close to a rod with fewer pieces. In addition to that, the lighter weight the rod, the more difficult it becomes because the tolerances become smaller and smaller.

Post 06 Jan 2018, 09:06 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Tis the seasonal furrowing of the brow, with a prolonged cold spell to encourage it. The constant in the inquiry is a production full length blank with cut-to-ferrule options. As hobbyists, we can't redesign the blank, only contemplate position of ferrules and guides, and maybe some very light dressing of the blank. Back in the day, full length blanks were commonly available to the hobby builder, with two-piece being their most likely configuration in routine building, but other options possible.

I think you have to find out by working with that one blank, discovering what its general performance is (or taking familiarity with it in two-piece as a norm) and working from there. In general, the likely outcomes, and why, have been described above.

If the blank is supplied by the seller in in various section/forms, I would simply ask the supplier about that one product. The outcome may be as suggested above, the ferrule positions formulaic rather than custom.

Individual experimentation alone would give the result for one particular blank supplied at full length, taking into account the hardware and guide spacing as well. Something as simple as an individual's preferred seat-to-stripping guide distance, or grip length, might change the position of the lowermost ferrule.

I think ferrule positions can be simulated for feel by using temporary sleeves. Even if I knew a four piece blank were supplied and cut from the same blank used for its two-piece counterpart, I would purchase it in two-piece form and then put the additional ferrules where I wanted them.

Here is a previous discussion that is relevant to this winter's furrowed brow: viewtopic.php?p=283359#p283359

Post 06 Jan 2018, 12:54 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very interesting how this panned out.
I like the least number of ferrules possible,every union interrupts the transfer of energy,every union also represents a potential for failure.
When a rod fails it's more often than not an issue with the ferrule being compromised
Tight Lines And "Identical Hypothetical" Loops :eek
Andy M

Post 30 Jan 2018, 17:59 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Pat, the 6'8 blank Phil sells is nice. Westex has the one I built

Bob

Post 30 Jan 2018, 19:25 • #22 
Guide
I’ve built two otherwise identical rods in 2 pc and 4 pc and took the opportunity to play with this question while I had them both in my possession. An asterisk though, they were not fiberglass (which you specifically asked). In a side by side test, after casting one for say ten casts then the other, then back to the first I felt I would know which I was casting in a blind test every time. However my guess is that if I had not cast either for say a month I would be guessing. The 2pc was a bit slower and smoother, the 4 pc was bit more crisp I guess. As glass Master pointed out though, one thing I’ve been known to say is whatever the likelihood is of having an issue with a ferrule on a 2 pc, it is three times that on a 4 pc (actually maybe more).

Post 30 Jan 2018, 19:46 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
BobHa wrote:
Pat, the 6'8 blank Phil sells is nice. Westex has the one I built

Bob

Bob, thanks for chiming in. i built the 6'8" 2pc model and i enjoyed it. i found it to be a 4wt for fishing smallish streams, casts of 25'-30' and dries, wets, streamers up to about #8. it was as i recall on the quick side for glass, very progressive taper, with a good backbone. been kicking myself for selling it. which one did you build out -- 2pc, or 4pc?

New Topic Add Reply