It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:06

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Oct 2017, 23:04 • #26 
Guide
I saw a bad ass glass on the bay for $200 the other day. I woulda bought it, but I bought a Winston bamboo steelhead rod instead. Anyways....I think from my experience with lots of glass rods big and small, Id look at these bad ass glass models by echo. I think they will do all you asks and at 6 oz, its VERY manageable. Its a modern design that can toss some line. The Fenwicks are sweet but the larger ones I have casts have been on the soft side imho. I think the BAG is also at a desirability point and a price point where if you don't like it, you can turn and flip it. I don't think the Garcia Conolon will be too enjoyable considering all the ones I have handled. Maybe I'm wrong. In the surf, I know you need some guts in your rod and want some relief on your shoulder.

Post 28 Oct 2017, 16:25 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
I can see why you want to try some of the heavy-line-weight glass. The System 8, 9, or 10 would be up there on the try list. Maybe some of the Fenwicks as well. On the other hand, there is something to be said for "dance with the one that brung ya."

Post 29 Oct 2017, 06:53 • #28 
Piscator
any way you do it, surf fishing is a manly sport.
Try it at night sometime with a bait rod - it is the most freakishly disorienting experience - right up there with skydiving. The wind, tide current, sand continuously eroding beneath your feet, and waves are all part of the equation, and you're in constant motion. Your only reference points are the moving moon and the coleman lantern you put on a board on the beach.
If the fishing's really good, you may have sharks after your stringer.
Blind casting with a fly rod in the surf is questionably sane. Casting to fish sign in the surf has a wider allowance for sanity, and can be very rewarding.

I've been in blackwater in the surf with a flyrod (also on the jetties), which is a more than sane time to have one there, but this is a dues overpaid occurrence - most people will never witness it.

Having a salty flyrod to cast to fish is one thing - you don't ask too much of the rod except that it do the job. Having one to cast to water is completely different - you need a rod that does the job and doesn't wear you out in ten minutes. Now put your body in the surf and do the same thing. See?

Post 29 Oct 2017, 11:24 • #29 
Master Guide
Another vote for the BAG. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of rod building, the Proof 8wt would probably do what you want it to in a fairly cost effective manner. I fish it with a RIO OBS 8wt and it's easily an all day casting rod. Much more powerful than the CGR, which I also have.

Post 29 Oct 2017, 19:06 • #30 
Guide
Bulldog, I hear you.
When I say blind casting I mean casting to water that should hold fish. Jetties, groins, cuts, inlets etc. Looking for schools of baitfish, bait being pushed out of the water, working birds etc.

Even still you aren't sight casting. Might throw flies all morning and never hook up.
Might hook up every other cast.

2 years ago I caught my first saltwater fish on a fly rod. A 18" speck with the cgr 7/8 while nearly chest deep in the surf chucking clousers at a 150ft groin that had baitfish being sent skyward around it. It was my birthday and I would catch a few more that weekend. I was smitten.

This past spring I got into the bluefish and spanish mackerel run, they came in to the groins at sundown and I fished into the night once or twice. That was cool. I kept getting broken off by the teeth and never landed one. I wasn't fishing a heavy enough leader. But still fun!

Post 30 Oct 2017, 07:13 • #31 
Piscator
Wasn't so much for your benefit Paul, as trying to explain to others what we're talking about.

I'm going after big specs down in the Texas tropics a week from tomorrow.
Lower Laguna Madre is hypersaline (no freshwater inlets), and the big sows are staking out their winter breeding turf, plus herding reds, schooling specs (20"), black drum, flounder, and sheepshead on the flats (they really want to get back to deep water).
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11303.shtml (except for the intercoastal, everything blue on this chart is <2' turtle grass -
- ok, the grass line is halfway to Padre island and from there it's bare hard-pack to the island, but the wind is not going to let us paddle that far east).
We're renting a cabin on Arroyo Colorado and kayaking.
It looks so crazy good on paper. low 70, high 85, SSE prevailing wind, partly cloudy, Low tides 7am, high tides 7pm, and we have a lighted pier at the cabin.

The Arroyo was the Rio Grande thousands of years ago before the channel moved south. Now it's a tide slough they keep dredged for shipping to Harlingen.

This is a November schoolie at South Padre

The same November week, we were running a power boat up the grassline and watching for feeding pelicans over the bare sand. Turn the boat out and around upwind and beach, and wade the hard sand to the lone sows, which looked like speeding gators with their backs out of the water.
I got a spec over 25" every day that week

Post 30 Oct 2017, 17:45 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
I have the FF909 from the early 80s, it is neither heavy nor slow..
will weigh it this evening Lord willing and the river don't rise, but I don't notice it being heavier than a 10wt graphite Fisher.. which is a beast to fish all day, I'd rather have the 909. I used this as a trout rod at one point for all-day distance casting in high winds on stillwaters, it was never a problem.

Post 31 Oct 2017, 06:23 • #33 
Guide
Well I had mentioned something to my wife about buying another saltwater fly rod and her response was "don't buy anything yet it's almost Christmas, Santa might bring you something." So we will see what happens. She also has asked me to teach her to fly fish so she can fish with me more and picked up a brochure about a bonefish trip to Belize all on her own. I think she may have hit her head...

Post 31 Oct 2017, 13:37 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
my ff909 is actually a FFL108-9, built from a blank.. weight 4.25oz, or about a quarter ounce more than my graphite Sage RPLX 9-wt.. not heavy.

good to hear your wife is keen, hope she doesn't recover before the Belize trip at least ;-)

Post 31 Oct 2017, 16:34 • #35 
Sport
I find the Fenwick Ferralites until 8'6" "very light" between the Vintage Glass rods and even between the newest ones ; and they have a lot of backbone ;)

i usualy like my 8'6" 8weight Ferralite with a 6weight line on the Bass in little water, but one time i try a #9 line on this Ferralite #8 and it was the only time and the only rod that allowed me to cast all the line until the backing, soi think you could take a look to the vintage Ferralites :rollin

Post 31 Oct 2017, 17:10 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
here's some more reading on salty glass..

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... -and-what/

Post 01 Nov 2017, 07:49 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
If you can get to a state where your wife wants to plan vacations around bonefish, you should proceed on this in whatever way you think will get to that result.

Post 20 Dec 2017, 22:29 • #38 
Master Guide
Christmas is almost here. I'm curious to see what the wife comes up with!

Post 21 Dec 2017, 16:26 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
PaulRicciardi wrote:
Well I had mentioned something to my wife about buying another saltwater fly rod and her response was "don't buy anything yet it's almost Christmas, Santa might bring you something." So we will see what happens. She also has asked me to teach her to fly fish so she can fish with me more and picked up a brochure about a bonefish trip to Belize all on her own. I think she may have hit her head...

JACKPOT WINNER!!!

On a side note, have you been talked out of a new rod, or "are ya thirsty for more?" Always loved that movie :P line.

Post 22 Dec 2017, 07:53 • #40 
Guide
I was told to wait and see what's under the tree Monday morning, I will report back. Belize is still in discussion, thinking 2019

Post 25 Dec 2017, 08:46 • #41 
Guide
As promised I'm back and am now the new owner of a RPLX 1090-2 and a Jim Teeny TST400 line. Not glass but I'm sure this thing will bomb it out there even with some of the big striper and musky flies in my box.

Post 25 Dec 2017, 09:51 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
She made a good choice, and it is made for the job. Now you just need a trunk large enough to hold the rod tube :)

Merry Christmas.

Post 25 Dec 2017, 10:13 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Nice to see Santa came through! You must have been a good boy!

Post 25 Dec 2017, 16:37 • #44 
Piscator
PaulRicciardi wrote:
As promised I'm back and am now the new owner of a RPLX 1090-2 and a Jim Teeny TST400 line. Not glass but I'm sure this thing will bomb it out there even with some of the big striper and musky flies in my box.

that's a surf cannon

Post 25 Dec 2017, 17:58 • #45 
Guide
Yes it should be able to reach out there when I need it. Probably give it a whirl on the local musky stream Saturday

Post 30 Dec 2017, 14:03 • #46 
Master Guide
Well done!

Post 22 Feb 2018, 19:40 • #47 
Master Guide
I have not tried a modern 10 weight glass, but many years ago i borrowed an old one to use with large bass hair bugs. I remember after a couple of hours, I was ready to swap it for a lighter telephone pole. I hope the new glass is better, but anything over 8 weight these days is graphite for me.

Post 23 Feb 2018, 12:47 • #48 
Master Guide
Newer stuff is definitely better. The Echo BAG 10 weight I got to play with felt like a lot of 8 weights as far as swing weight and actual physical weight. Of course it was the short version I was trying - an 8 footer, which helps.

Glass over 8' doesn't appeal to me, and honestly at this point, *most* graphite sticks over 8 feet don't really appeal to me. I have a couple 9 footers left, plus my spey rods and one 3 weight euro nymphing rod. All specialized tools. 50+ % of my fly rods now are 8 feet or less, and those are the ones that get the bulk of my use.

I just got a new 8-10wt rod a couple weeks ago that is a blend of carbon and fiberglass, and it's a real hoot to cast. But it's 8 feet long, and it is less tiring to cast than my 9 foot 8 weight graphite rod. My local fly shop has one of the 9 foot 10 weight Fenwicks from the late 60's, I picked it up and barely gave it a wiggle before setting it right back down. I would *not* want to fish with that thing all day, unless I did some voodoo on it and made it into a short switch rod at which point it may be more pleasant to fish. But it is not a rod I would want to spend more than a few minutes waving around with one hand.

Post 25 Feb 2018, 21:07 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
I use a few larger vintage Hardys. Fine for me but I'm not fishing salt in the rain,wind and snow. I know a guy who built himself a Steffen 8/9wt. He swears by it. From what he's said and add Ron's opinion... I'd consider a Steffen. Another avenue is a T&T Paradigm. They're third generation graphite rods that were designed to fish salt without killing your rotator cuff in the process. They're not too fast but can generate line speed better than glass.

Post 01 Jun 2018, 19:57 • #50 
Sport
Why would you want to be talked out of another rod?

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply