It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:20

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Best deal ever
Post 02 Dec 2017, 08:29 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
Quoting tiptop, "This was unusual for me because I usually lose money on gear :)"

I know that losing money feeling all too well................ but I try not to be bothered by such trivial things in life. :D

Post 02 Dec 2017, 12:40 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
Think of it as renting the rod for a while.

Post 02 Dec 2017, 16:25 • #53 
Master Guide
I don’t know it’s the best deal ever but I just bought a Okuma Sierra 7/8 reel from STP for $20
I got an email about their black Friday sale and I just couldn’t pass it up,I had a need for one . I’ve checked them out in the stores before and pretty decent reel for the money.

Fact is I bought about $100 worth of stuff for about 36 bucks

Post 04 Dec 2017, 14:42 • #54 
Master Guide
Years ago I bought a late 1960s Orvis Madison grass rod. Don't remember what I paid, but one of the odd outcomes was that I ended up fishing with a guy who became one of those once-in-a-lifetime fishin buddies.

Post 04 Dec 2017, 14:50 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
Marty Romeo wrote:
Years ago I bought a late 1960s Orvis Madison grass rod. Don't remember what I paid, but one of the odd outcomes was that I ended up fishing with a guy who became one of those once-in-a-lifetime fishin buddies.

Now that's a great deal! Good as it gets.

Post 02 Mar 2018, 20:58 • #56 
Sport
I ended up purchasing a T&T Paradigm 9’ 6wt for $200 with a custom inscription as a gift from this gentleman’s wife who had recently passed and he just wanted to part with it. I picked it up and brought it along on my first trip out to Henry’s Fork. Had the most memorable day out there and brought some new life to a beautiful rod that still has some magic left to it.

Post 03 Mar 2018, 09:40 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
I forgot about this deal until last night. I was changing old grease to new on a few reels.
Years ago, I bought a Talon graphite rod for $50 on eBay. It was listed as a combo. The reel was mentioned only as a "throw in". It was in the photos background and fuzzy. I was thinking it may be a Daiwa 706. If not, I was hoping it would at least be a Hardy knock off.
Turned out to be a SA System 6 (Hardy Marquis 6). I wound up selling the rod for $60 a couple years later.

Post 08 Mar 2018, 08:48 • #58 
Guide
Last year around this time I was doing some trades, hoping to get rid of some of my one-off stuff that didn't have much of a home, and with a Want ad up on another forum, a gentleman responded with a hard-to-find item at an incredible price. After a bit of prodding I found out he used to run a rod shop back in the late 80s to mid 90s and still had a lot of his blanks. Every one of them was a top-end Sage from the time - XPs, SPs, SPLs, a lot of RPL and RPLXs, etc, plus more than enough socks for all and Struble seats for most.

I bought the blanks for an average price of $42 bucks, and the socks and seats and shipping were all free. Frankly I kind of regret talking myself in to reselling a bunch of them because there was "no way" I'd ever need that many rods - ye gads there were well over 30 of them!! But, as a perk, I was able to gift some of my friends a top-end rod who otherwise wouldn't have afforded one, and recovered some of the cost by offering deals to other friends as resales.

Other than that, I bought a pre-CLA Cimarron C-4 "kit" - platinum reel, extra spool, neo cases, line and backing on both, warranty cards - shipped for 105 a few weeks before the rod shop deal. Both were great but one blows the other away.

Post 21 Apr 2018, 05:19 • #59 
Sport
Inherited-FF75, FF806 and FFL84 all new
Won in a contest in '74 FF857
Purchased- FF75, SF74-4 and FF90-3 for $100. The gentleman threw in a wicker creel with a Pflueger 1494 with spare spool, a 1492 and Mitchell 308. Sold the FF-75 and FFF90-3 for $300.
While I'm typing, I now recall a Phillipson 5' or 5 1/4' spinning rod at a yard sale for 50 cents. Sold for $54.

Post 29 Apr 2018, 15:44 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Several years ago I was able to get an Orvis Golden Eagle 4 weight in mint condition, I offered the seller 125 but we settled on 140 plus shipping , I doubt it was ever fished. The cork is perfect and still bright. Considering how uncommon that rod and weight is I think I did pretty good. I'm pretty sure I could at least double that if I tried to sell it today.

Post 30 Apr 2018, 09:12 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Best deal ever,well after over 45 years of trading fishing gear I could write volumes on deals.
I'll share my most recent deal,actually not much of a big deal but a fun deal all the same.

Last Saturday at the Flea Market I Picked Up A Bamboo Boat Rod with a short tip section for 5 Bucks.
The Deal was the rod has 5 Amazing Nickle Silver Framed Agate Guides Size 10, 2@ 9, 8, 7,
Now these are not the same junk they sell today these guides have actual Nickle Silver Frames.
I'd Value them at least $25.00 each.

From another Vendor a bundle of bamboo rod pieces and parts for 10 bucks.
2 Nice rods that with very little TLC will be back on the water.
A New England Net And Twine 9' 3/2 all sections full length only missing one guide.
A Orvis 7' Madison 2/1 with a 1" short tip.
20 or so other miscellaneous sections, 2 more agate stripping guides,and a Winchester Fly Reel.

Could tell of my countless accounts of finds,deals complete collections stumbled upon as I've been collecting since I was a little fella.

Came home with this last bunch of stuff and my wife was beside herself,I'm in the process of liquidating my fishing collections and rod shop,my response to her inquiry was "They were practically giving the stuff away, don't worry honey I'll just add it to my other stuff,I'll double my money for sure. ;)

My rule was always to never cheat anyone,at sales such as flea markets and junk shops I always asked them for a price to start.
If they were dumb enough to not know what they had shame on them.

Tag sales and estate sales are different, I always did my best to make sure if the seller didn't know what they had,I would always tell them exactly what they had before offering offer a fair price.
Many times I've helped a family price out Grand Dads Stuff even when I have no interest.
Fairness is always the best for everyone.

When I hear gleeful accounts of how this guy or gal filled the car with fishing stuff for 100 bucks I want to puke.
Every situation has is challenges and as long as your fair you never have any problems.

Tight Lines And Fair Traded Loops
Andy M

Post 27 Aug 2018, 21:02 • #62 
Master Guide
Took a friend to Cabelas and got him to sign up for a credit card which in turn, credited me $50 Cabelas Bucks.
CGR 4 wt on sale reduced from 119 to 59. bought it with new credit and walked out with a rod for $9.
Not my favorite rod, but $9 !!

Post 28 Aug 2018, 04:40 • #63 
Sport
Pretty much anything I buy online from the US of A (I am based in New Zealand) as I end up paying sometimes around 50% of what it would cost over here: so Lamson Litespeed reel, Simms G3 Waders, Sage Z-Axis, Sage 8080 - but to name a few!!!

Post 03 Sep 2018, 15:06 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
From the Echo thread---found an Echo base in a dumpster with a broken tip. Bought a new tip from Echo for $17.50, and found it is very good for the genre. Only a $90 rod, but has scored with some $800 rods in reviews.

Post 03 Sep 2018, 18:00 • #65 
Guide
paid fifty bucks to fish a kayak tournament ..at the sign up I went up to the bar to get a beer someone in line behind me gave me a ticket for a free rum drink..so I ordered a glass of ice full of rum lol .. then I signed up for fly casting contest ..just as I finished my drink..it was my turn to cast and I walked away with 250.00 redington predator 9wt fly rod
after all these years of ads saying this rod this gear will make you a better caster/fisherman in my case it just took some malibu rum lol

Post 03 Sep 2018, 19:23 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations!

Post 04 Sep 2018, 18:27 • #67 
Master Guide
Best finds
A bronze Forbes Ariel $35
First year Granger Victory bamboo $125
Orvis gore Tex waders $10
Fenwick 755 in the yellow glass free

Post 05 Sep 2018, 07:21 • #68 
Guide
Tomah wrote:
Congratulations!

thanks Tomah

Post 05 Sep 2018, 11:24 • #69 
Glass Fanatic
cheffy,
You just made me intensely green with envy. 0]

Larry

Post 05 Sep 2018, 23:10 • #70 
Master Guide
After some thought, I believe my best deal ever was picking up a Steffen 8' 3/4 3pc blank at 1/2 the going cost about 15 years ago.

I had fished lots of glass in years gone by, but had only been fishing graphite rods for the previous 10 or 15 years up to that point. When I built out this Steffen blank, it redefined what a light trout rod should be for me.

So even though this may not have been the cheapest relative price I ever paid for a piece of fishing gear, I consider it my best deal ever.

Hmmm...considering all the money I've spent on glass since then maybe I'm delusional, as it turned out to be more of a "gateway drug". Hah!

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply