It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:32

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Nov 2017, 07:23 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
In this configuration I can't help thinking about the T&T Heirloom. Extremely fine tipped and with a very strong butt I originally had a hard time with it because with 3wt line although it's superb with a dry fly it's not good at all with nymphs (and where I fish I need to be able to switch from one to the other) - even very light ones. However uplined to a true 5 and used with a gentle stroke it does well even with mid weight nymphs. Interesting rod that took me some time to appreciate fully.

The CTS and Epic blanks are nice - good choice cannot go wrong there.

Post 23 Nov 2017, 14:11 • #27 
Sport
Hi !

I think that Epic 480 more progressive than the Orvis SuperfineGlass.
But i recomended Dora fly as parabolic rods (http://www.fly-rods.ru/3-rods) at 150$ new rods.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 07:34 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Glacier, you're selling the CTS blank? Are you going with a different blank or passing on getting a 3wt? What didn't you like about the CTS?

Post 05 Dec 2017, 21:18 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
I'm debating a couple of other options that went on sale soon after the CTS blank arrived. Honestly, I'm not sure that I'm ready to let go of it just yet, so now I have a tough decision on my hands.

Post 14 Jan 2018, 21:49 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks to all of the advice here--shout out to scud dog specifically, who was really helpful. I built out the CTS 376 last weekend, and I just had a chance to take it out for a test run.

First, I was surprised how light and crisp the rod is. I could easily get into the running line on the RIO Gold that I was casting with almost no effort. Loops were tight, and clean at distance, but I had no trouble casting the leader plus a couple of feet of line. It is an impressive balance of power and sensitivity, which should very good for dealing with a variety of conditions and distances. The length isn't noticeable in the least, and it should make mending easier than my current 7' 3-weight (which I'm passing on to a friend). Even more, this rod tracks exceptionally well. Despite not having cast a rod in hand since September, the line laid down in a clean straight line, better than I'm used to seeing with my casting.

Now, I just have to wait until the third Saturday in May to fish it, when our smaller streams open for the season. I can't wait to see how it actually fishes.

Here are a few pictures. I wrapped it with Merlot-colored ProWrap Nylon thread and Threadmaster regular epoxy.

Post 15 Jan 2018, 03:08 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
I'm glad you like how the rod cast. They are a cut above and an excellent rod on the water as well. It's perfect for getting to those spooky trico eating trout in skinny waters. It mends and manages line on the water really well. I think you'll like it.
I like your choice of wraps. The merlot on seaweed looks sharp.

Post 15 Jan 2018, 07:44 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome job on the build!

Post 15 Jan 2018, 08:42 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
scud dog wrote:
I'm glad you like how the rod cast. They are a cut above and an excellent rod on the water as well. It's perfect for getting to those spooky trico eating trout in skinny waters. It mends and manages line on the water really well. I think you'll like it.

The rod is replacing a Redington Butter Stick 3-weight, so it's a significant upgrade. It's funny how a nicer, higher-quality rod can really open up new opportunities. Originally, this was supposed to be a niche rod for me--I fish enough open, large waters that a I only occasionally go below a 4-weight. But I can already tell that I will be using the CTS in a wider variety of fishing situations.

After casting it, I am thinking this will be the second in my two-rod quiver for short and long backpacking trips this summer and fall. Along with the Epic 580, I should be covered for any situation.

I'll follow up with my thoughts once I get it on the water.

Post 15 Jan 2018, 13:52 • #34 
Guide
No sale on the CTS right now but I’ll be watching. Looking forward to your on stream review.

Post 15 Jan 2018, 15:08 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
GlacierRambler wrote:
After casting it, I am thinking this will be the second in my two-rod quiver for short and long backpacking trips this summer and fall. Along with the Epic 580, I should be covered for any situation.

Great looking build and sounds like it casts great too. But given your intended hike-in outings, you might also "need" one of the Epic Packlights (the 5 pc 476). Fits in a backpack-friendly 22" tube and if you ever get lost search and rescue will be able to easily spot the bright tangerine blank.

Post 15 Jan 2018, 18:11 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Nice build! +1 on the translucent Merlot wraps.

Post 15 Jan 2018, 20:19 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
PENZZZ wrote:
No sale on the CTS right now but I’ll be watching.

There is currently a sale on the Shine color (it looks perhaps like what Epic calls Nude) right now--only it's a four-piece instead of three, if that matters to you.

Quote:
But given your intended hike-in outings, you might also "need" one of the Epic Packlights (the 5 pc 476). Fits in a backpack-friendly 22" tube and if you ever get lost search and rescue will be able to easily spot the bright tangerine blank.

Well, the Epic 476 four-piece was my first fly rod build, something I'll never sell (both because of its quality and its sentimentality), so the five-piece would be a tough sell. But never say never. Besides, my 476 has gotten a good workout in several of our backcountry, frontcountry, and sidecountry streams, and it's performed admirably.

Quote:
Nice build! +1 on the translucent Merlot wraps.

Much appreciated. The merlot turned into a deep maroon or burgundy color under epoxy. I think it pairs really nicely with the Seaweed color.

Post 19 Jan 2018, 03:35 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
CTS allows you to select between tip over vd spigot ferrules and 3pc vs 4pc. Consider the fact they manufacture Epic's blanks and figure you can get them to create a 5pc, special request. I haven't back packed in decades. I don't know how big a difference a 7'6" rod tube in a 4pc vs a 5pc would be. That's a 22.5" disassembled rod vs an 18" per section rod. If a 4.5" difference makes a difference then you can custom order a 5pc

Post 19 Jan 2018, 09:31 • #39 
Guide
Since this discussion involves CTS blanks, does the 4 peice differ in action or feel to the 3 piece?

Is the CTS 476 or 480 as good as their 376?

Post 19 Jan 2018, 09:34 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
scud dog wrote:
I don't know how big a difference a 7'6" rod tube in a 4pc vs a 5pc would be. That's a 22.5" disassembled rod vs an 18" per section rod.

I do quite a bit of backpacking, and I pack very light--outside of fishing gear, which is my primary backcountry excursion these days. Personally, length matters a fair bit to me, and the current 7'6" 3-piece is about the longest I'd be willing to carry. Frankly, it is pushing the boundary as-is.

On an average 2-4 day trip, my pack has a height of about 24-26" depending on how much tackle I bring, which gets a little shorter near the end of the trip. My 7'6" 3-piece is 32", and my homemade backpacking tubes add about an inch or more. So, your looking at 9-11" sticking above your pack. That's pretty tall, but it's not a big deal if you are in open areas with fewer trees or underbrush (such as northern Yellowstone). But more often, I spend my time in the backcountry in areas that are significantly more forested, and getting to the river requires a bushwhack down steep banks in fairly dense cover. Having a long rod quickly gets snagged on all sorts of things, and it makes crawling under downfall or limbs challenging. It's like having a flagpole strapped to your pack, usually outside of your field of vision.

For instance, two years ago, a buddy and I hauled packrafts into a major drainage and spent 6 days hiking/floating the river. He brought his 3-piece Epic 580, which I believe is 34-35" long (plus another inch or two for the tube). He constantly got it caught on things, and it was a serious hassle at times. It also stuck out quite a bit when strapped to the pack on the bow of his packraft.

So for me these days, 4-piece rods are about ideal for backpacking, and in the shorter configurations, 3-piece do okay enough. I have never tried a 5-piece, but I imagine that I would prefer just to stick with 4, as that is plenty small and I don't see the need for the extra hassle in assembly. Plus, I occasionally find it helpful to pull a rigged rod apart into two pieces to carry through brush--you can't do that with a 3- or 5-piece.

Post 19 Jan 2018, 12:18 • #41 
Guide
I was thinking same thing keeping a 4 in a 2 pec configuration when possible.

Post 25 Jan 2018, 19:13 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
For what it's worth, CTS has free shipping this weekend, and the 4-piece 376 is on sale in the Shine color.

Post 19 Nov 2018, 21:46 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
I promised that I would post a review of the CTS 763-3 after taking this rod out over the summer. First, I should say that a 3-weight is a specialty rod in my quiver, and the rod got most of its use on smaller streams and headwaters here in Montana. I fished it on feeders to the Clark Fork, the Yellowstone, the Bitterroot, and probably one or two more I'm forgetting, but it isn't my go-to line-weight (I usually fish the 4-6 weight range). For me, it works very well as a western-U.S. 3-weight, and I like it a lot in that role.

In my hands, the rod has a very smooth, moderate action. I have no issues casting in close with the rod, especially at the 15-20' range. That said, I do prefer my glass on the faster side, especially since I do nearly all my fishing out west. When I said earlier in this thread that it casts well at distance, I did mean distance for a 3-weight, in ideal casting-lawn conditions (no wind, no obstructions, etc.). In those cases, I could get 50-55 feet in distance, without too much in the way of accuracy though. Really, 15-40' is my range of use for this rod. In normal fishing conditions, I find that it's got to backbone to push out medium-size chubbies (i.e., size 10), but it's also progressive enough that it loads well when casting in close. What matters most to me is the versatility because, in a few hours, I can go from windy, more open spaces to brushy tight spots, all on the same stream. It does all those things well, but if I were fishing more on the closer end of that spectrum, or didn't have to worry as much about wind, I might consider other tools more suited to that specialty. It will certainly handle those conditions well, but probably not quite as well as some others would. That's probably true for fishing smaller flies too. It is more than up to the task of tricos, BWOs, midges, etc., but there may be slightly better tools if those are your primary flies.

I've been fishing this rod with a Rio Gold in the 3-weight. The Gold is 30% heavier than the standard difference between a 3-weight and 4-weight, so it's slightly heavy but not overly so. The long belly of the line is also helpful--at 45 feet, I only get into the running line on the casting lawn with ideal conditions. It fishes very much like a double-taper line at those distances. I haven't tried it with any other lines yet (I had the Gold prior to building the rod); though, if I could buy any line for it, I'd want to compare it with a 406 DT or another true-to-weight line. That said, I wouldn't want to go heavier, and I do enjoy fishing it with the Rio Gold. It's a good match for what I use it for, and, being perfectly honest, I wonder if a true-to-weight line might not be a tad too light for this rod in close. I took it to the Montana Clave this year, and some of the guys from the forum (apologies--I'm forgetting names now) asked to cast the rod, and they really liked it a lot too.

For what I want out of a western 3-weight, it's really, really good. I'm not sure how closely that matches others' conditions, but I'm very pleased with what it does for me.

Post 04 Dec 2018, 18:44 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
good review, thank you..

do try it with a standard weight DT, think you might be pleasantly surprised with improved accuracy at distance.. and since it's glass, the rod will most likely load just fine at shorter distances too.

Post 05 Dec 2018, 14:15 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
That's what I am thinking my next line will be. Since the 3-weight doesn't see the same time on the water that weights 4-6 do, it will take a bit to wear out the current RIO Gold. But I expect a 3-weight DT (like the 406 lines) should do the job even better.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply