It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:42

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Dec 2017, 00:43 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
potterpoole wrote:
Eagle claw featherlight in the 7" #5/6 with a DT 6 works amazingly well for this sort of application. Can't recommend the aesthetics but the prices are right to give fiberglass a try.

I cast streamers regularly with my Featherlights and yellow is beauuutiful. :P

Post 06 Dec 2017, 07:41 • #27 
Piscator
yes, you should use glass for streamers, because you never know what may take them.

Post 06 Dec 2017, 08:40 • #28 
Master Guide
Hello, you should use glass for dries, nymphs, wets and streamers. Most of my fishing is in Stillwater using streamers and nymphs and all I fish are glass rods from 8’ to 8’6” in 5 wts. These rods handle big ugly flies beautifully.

Lanny

Post 06 Dec 2017, 17:40 • #29 
Guide
Some of my favorite rods for streamers are glass. One I've used a good deal the past two years is the Fenwick 330, especially on the Yellowstone below town.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 03:03 • #30 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
yes, you should use glass for streamers, because you never know what may take them.

Wow, that's serious argument. Congrats!

Post 31 Dec 2017, 17:02 • #31 
Master Guide
I would go with a 5 wt for streamers unless you are talking old school small bucktails. Current crop of streamers - no way. The stream you pictured - your skagit head will still be on the reel for much of that fishing - I would stick to a 5 or 6 wt and standard line there. Skagit heads work best from 30 feet on out. Even a Commando + tip + leader has you 20' minimum.

I have a 175 Commando I pair up with some of my rods from 3 to 5 weight - Glass really has an advantage over carbon in this case because of its wider grain window. For in close, an integrated line reins supreme.

Also, try a shooting head before you buy if you can. Some of my rods tolerate loop to loop better than others. Snake guides are better than single foot, and larger guides are better than tiny guides for this. My Prime rods with their tiny guides don't like loop connections, lots of hangups. My CGRs, my TFO carbon rods, and my spey rods handle them much better.

SA has a new integrated micro skagit trout line out that I think I will be switching to, personally. I love how mono shoots, but am coming to despise looped joints in heads and leaders. I will tolerate them for sink tips as its the only reasonable way to change them, but honestly an Intermediate or even floating line would work fine if you vary casting angles and fly weights.

You may appreciate extra backbone a 5 or 6 will give you too if you hook a real pig in the brushy stretches. If you are throwing big flies, you will probably be using no lighter than 8lb tippet, and you can really horse a fish with a 5 or 6 weight and 8lb line more than you can on a 4 weight.

Streamers have been my main fishing method this year, and despite being a light rod lover, I have moved to my 7/8s for 95% of my streamer fishing, even on small waters. A glass rod in that power is still fun on smaller fish. If you put a gun to my head and said I could only have one rod ever to fish with from now on, my 7/8 CGR would stay. Bluegill to bass, trout to coho, it would cover it all and be enjoyable.

Post 31 Dec 2017, 19:15 • #32 
Master Guide
I think the FF706 is greatly underrated. Sling some heavy stuff and still have the finesse to fish dry flies.

Post 31 Dec 2017, 23:01 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
LOL! I remember the old timers that fished streamers using a big glass rod and an automatic reel. Ideal for getting trout to chase a streamer without stripping line. Bad if you didn't stop the rewind before your split shot made it to your rod tip.
I wasn't thinking"favorite" when I first replied. My favorite streamer rods are the SA System 6 and a Hardy 866/2 that has a brown spigot but no name designation. It's definitely a Hardy without a series name. Sticker, script, wraps, hardware is Hardy. #2600CM J/L

Last edited by scud dog on 01 Jan 2018, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Jan 2018, 10:31 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
picketpin52 wrote:
wjude wrote:
I have a similar sized stream in my area to your home turf, I typically use a 7.5ft 5wt or an 8ft 6wt on it. I base it on how much water is in it and how heavy of a streamer I need to use to get into the bottom of the pockets where the fish are.

I'm with Bill on this one... my favorite rod to fish streamers is my 8' 6wt Fisher.

I have an 8' 6/7 made from a Fisher blank that was cut and ferruled by L Kenney and built up by Shane. It's a monster, excellent for streamers. I also fish an early McFarland 7'9 6/7 that is a very capable streamer rod. I fish streamers about 80% of the time and IMO a glass 8'er or thereabouts is perfect for the job.

Post 01 Jan 2018, 12:21 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I roll cast jigs, clousers and cone heads often, and glass 8'-8.5' in 7/8 weight is all I want to use. For short cast heavy stuff I like long belly wtfd lines, if mixing streamers, wets and drys I will use a DTF but anything under 6 is a real handicap for me. Those light lines are for overhead work in my mind. The lighter I go the harder I work, or so it seems.

Post 22 Feb 2018, 19:53 • #36 
Master Guide
No offense, but it seems like a silly question....for decades, fly fishermen had to choose either bamboo or glass rods, and many people only fished glass for everything, so why would glass rods be a problem today?

Post 23 Feb 2018, 06:34 • #37 
Master Guide
You shouldn't not use a glass rod for streamers.

Post 13 Mar 2018, 07:08 • #38 
Modern glass is so much better than the old days and is easily suited for streamers. I use streamers more than anything because they mimmic baitfish that big predatory fish kay on. I been using the shorter length 7/8 glass but got a new longer 8.5' 7wt BH on the way thanks to Shane. It was too lovely a rod not to say no! :-) Will give it a work out in WV Elk next week. I like the longer rod as they are more forgiven and lot easier to casts bulky streamers and tandems nymph/streamers.

Post 13 Mar 2018, 09:41 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
I had a client use my 6'3" curt Goudy Parametric the other day Ryobi 255 MG reel and Rio Grande 6wt line and a cone head brown bugger she landed 6 with a 22" big male.This rod will be my new small stream big fish streamer rod.........aurelio

Post 13 Mar 2018, 12:56 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
There are many glass rods from the fiberglass heyday that would be good benchmarks for a modern maker to equal, let alone exceed. Some may have, but incrementally. The material properties of fiberglass have not changed. People have successfully fished streamers with fiberglass rods since Alfalfa was a little rascal. Some of them have found better rods than the ones they started with, but they did that in the 1970s. There are some darn good ones available today as well. I know I would be very happy with some of them but would use my 8 1/2 foot Sceptre as often as ever or several others of what I call "river rods" of similar capability from the 'era.

Post 16 Mar 2018, 23:33 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Unless your fishing small streamers I don't know why anyone would want a streamer rod lighter than a 6 or 7wt.. You match the rod to the fly line which you match to size flies your throwing.

For length I always liked at least 8 1/2'. If your just throwing it out I guess most lengths will work, but if you like to control where your streamer swims a longer rod is much better for mending line and changing directions during the retrieve.

Many of early glass were 6/7 wt rods, what more could you want for streamers. Para/Metrics, Silaflex, Phillipson, Fenwicks, SA System Rods, early Orvis glass, Hardy (Fisher) and some Heddons--Many are great streamer rods. (One of my favorites ever is an old brown 9'3" Lamiglas)

My last argument for long and classic is that heavy flies, like clousers, can be dangerous to rod and body. Better to keep big hooks with lead away from both and the longer rod should help with that. Also, if damage does occur to the rod your usually only out fifty to a hundred fifty bucks with a classic glass.

Barry

Post 17 Mar 2018, 11:15 • #42 
Master Guide
Here in east Tn, guys in the know that fish creeks for smallmouth(primarily) still cherish their FF706 and 705 rods. Any Fenwick I’ve ever fished always performed well with a line up or down of the designation EXCEPT the FF806. That rod wanted a 6 line for dry flies and a 7 or even 8 wt line for bulky/heavy Streamers in my hands.

Post 04 May 2018, 03:30 • #43 
Guide
My first trout on streamer and small glass rod

Ego Glass 7'8" 4wt.
Ego is Polish manufacturer, relatively unknown outside Europe, they currently developing and testing new glass rods, suitable for streamers and light saltwater in 6-7 wt range (by "saltwater" mean Baltic sea trout or pike in brackish waters, not tarpons of course)

particularly, this is new model 6wt , dedicated for skagit heads and sea trout

I loaded my 4wt rod with OPST Commando 175 head, and its capable to throw small to mid-size trout streamers (wooly buggers, zonkers) . It also serves for dry fly of course, so I can use one rod for everything, when going to small stream

more in my blog:
http://polishflyangler.blogspot.de/2018/05/we-have-no-water.html

Post 30 Aug 2018, 14:00 • #44 
Guide
Well, 4wt rod in 7'6" - 8' range and micro skagit is very suitable for overgrown forest streams like this. I have OPST 175

Common size of fish in these streams is 10"-13", biggest was 16"

Post 30 Aug 2018, 15:56 • #45 
a CGR 5/6 with a DT6 . Totally impressed with this rod, rollcasting 4 inch modern articulated streamers, double bunnies and tungsten beads no problem at all. Spey casts a breeze. Using a short 60/20/20 leader to keep everything simple

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply