It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Sep 2017, 09:38 • #1 
Guide
Anyone have any experience with this rod?

Thanks in advance

Post 24 Sep 2017, 12:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
https://www.flyrodcrafters.com/sunset-red-fiberglass-fly-rod-blanks-4pc/

Probably using these blanks.

Post 24 Sep 2017, 17:16 • #3 
Guide
dustdog12 wrote:
Could be, it all fits except for the color.

Hoping someone here handled or owns one.

Post 24 Sep 2017, 20:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
dustdog12 wrote:

If so, then I have a little experience with it. I built the 7'8" Sunset Red about a year ago. I've fished it only once, but was pleasantly surprised. It didn't feel very good at first, not being lively at the initial 'waggle.' On the water, though, it was both powerful and accurate at the distances (<40') I fish. I was able to repeatedly put the fly over a good trout feeding right off the bank 30'-35' upstream. The rod roll cast well, and allowed good line control in nymph fishing. It's a lucky rod, too. Its first cast was to put a Prince nymph at the edge of a current. As soon at the fly eddied back toward me, a 12" Brown took it. Your first cast may bring an even bigger fish.

A poor pic:

As for the blank, there are cosmetic issues, especially around the ferrules. I understand that to be common with some budget blanks. I built it to be a 'beater,' so the flaws are ok.

I've not used it since because to me it's a pack rod for remote ponds, and I haven't been able to do any pack-in fishing. When I do, the rod will go along.

Post 24 Sep 2017, 20:35 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Guessing it's from the same place that pushes these. Hardware and cork looks the same. My best bet would be that "Maine-Made" gets them from China from the exact same place and chooses not to have them painted.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Aventik-medium-action-Super-Fiber-Glass-transparent-Colors-Fly-Fishing-Rod-4pc-/322478938309?_trkparms=pageci%3Ab323ea2c-a18f-11e7-8e0a-74dbd180e11a%7Cparentrq%3Ab69eea3815e0aa1301fa4ba2ffce0fe0%7Ciid%3A4&_mwBanner=1

Post 26 Sep 2017, 20:55 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
That's quite the price jump to get them made in "Maine."

Post 27 Sep 2017, 04:48 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I don't want to crib the maker's entire Ebay description, but he is a fine craftsman. He designs and specs the mandrels and blanks and has them USA made. The product is not assembled on a generic blank available to any "builder."

He has complete control of design and building. That makes the price a bargain compared with what we see for some assembled/generic rods.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 12:20 • #8 
Guide
You are correct whirlpool. I looked at his eBay auction, it states made in USA including the blanks. Fantastic price also. Wonder who makes his lines being there are but a few companies who make all the commercially available lines.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 11:24 • #9 
Master Guide
Its interesting that Maine Made also markets fly tying tools along with graphite rods, I don't know about the glass rods but I find it strange theirs no mention of the graphite rods and where the blanks comes from or what type of graphite they consist of? I for one wouldn't spend money on a fly rod with a generic description of the blank only.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 13:37 • #10 
Master Guide
Current US domestic manufacturing costs don't support a price that low, unless the seller's end game is losing money.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 19:47 • #11 
Master Guide
I need to chime in here also, I seriously doubt that any of his blanks, glass or carbon are made here in the USA. His price point on finished rods is the dead give away on this, way to low to be built on a blank made in the USA.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 21:35 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Until he can prove he has an elf in the closet rolling his blanks and producing fly lines from spider silk, I have a very hard time buying into his story. I stumbled across his rod on E-Bay several months ago, and after reading his story, I thought FABLE. (or fake news).

Larry

Post 12 Oct 2017, 22:14 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
The font on the reel seat is also a commonly used one in factory-direct Asian marketing and products. I've seen it on a number of items.

Post 13 Oct 2017, 06:53 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Well boys, I can tell you there are plenty of quality machine shops and crafters in the State of Maine, especially associated with the boating industry on the coast. I can tell you it is good to be skeptical of Ebay lister claims. As anybody from Waldoboro would say, presented with some junk of a fiberglass rod said to be owned by William Shakespeare, "Is that so?" Ordinarily what you do after that is ask questions, which Ebay enables. Then you see what the answer is.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a stretcher or two in the description; it is advertising. Good questions would help somebody get to the bottom of it.

Components may be sourced elsewhere, yet an item can still be USA made. There is wiggle room in the description with "domestically produced" depending on the point of view of "domestic," and I agree the rods appear related to some of Asian production. That doesn't mean they aren't custom speced on customer-provided mandrels and made in USA/Maine.

Neither does the price--low relative the prices of some boutique makers who charge much more for rods that are definitely not US sourced--indicate an impossible feat of US production. We still have, for instance, competitively priced manufactured goods such as New Balance footwear and LL Bean footwear (a new facility having just opened) right here.

One of these days when I am down that way I will get around to tracking the seller down. I could ask a bunch of questions of others and probably find out more about the rods and the maker, but then I might be repeating second-hand info and speculation.

If you want to know before deciding for yourself, use the ask the seller contact feature on Ebay, and then let us know.

Post 25 Oct 2017, 07:23 • #15 
Master Guide
Somebody's been watching this thread. Anyone notice the $100 price hike over the last two weeks?

Post 25 Oct 2017, 09:38 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I love that rod, but there is no way in h&ll it is made in Maine. One listing of his shows an Aventik rod right down to the same single foot guides and cork. He stamped Maine Made into the reel seat. $70-$80 would be a good price for one of these, one of the better of the budget priced Chinese rods.

I reviewed them here
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60848

Post 25 Oct 2017, 12:52 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I asked on ebay:

"How is your fiberglass rod different from the Aventik rod, which has the same grip, color, same guides, same 4 piece 8'1" size? What part of the manufacturing is done in the USA?"

and got a prompt answer:

"Hi:

Thanks very much for your note. I am not sure what you are referring to, so I'll check it out and get back to you.

Best,

Evan"

New Topic Add Reply