It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Aug 2017, 08:01 • #1 
Guide
Been trying to dial a decent bass outfit for a while now. I have a shot shoulder so 7 and 8 weights can be an issue but i compensate by balancing them to my tastes etc. My current bass rods are phillipsons, a royal wand rwf86 7 weight, an r86 7 wt, and an mf86b 8 weight, which is the primary subject of this post. With my shoulder I am not booming anything 50 ft out there and i cast with a very slow stroke and like to feel my loops when casting. Furthermore, i like the control and roll cast ability of my other double tapers (406 dt5 and dt6) I was just wondering if anybody had experience with 7 and 8 weight double tapers abd whether they might be useful given my circumstances?

Post 26 Aug 2017, 11:16 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Sure. Really doesn't matter WF/DT at that distance. I fished a DT 8F to death over the course of ten years or so.

You should try fishing shorter rods. I have an old HI 7.5ft 8/9 wt that I love, and my 7.5 CGR. A lot easier on the arm, more umph when setting the hook.

Post 26 Aug 2017, 20:44 • #3 
Master Guide
What Majicwrench said. At 50' or less, it makes no difference if it's a DT or WF. A 50' cast is 30' of line plus a leader and a rod length.

Also as he said, shorter rods will really help here.

In any case, your shoulder should not even know it was being used if you have your casting stroke tuned in with an efficient double haul. casts to 60' or 70' with a DT line should be like tapping a tack, not bashing a nail.

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 26 Aug 2017, 20:57 • #4 
Guide
That could be part of it, i really dont think much of my non casting hand and thus lack much pf a haul. My left hand is more of an anchor than an actual downward haul

Post 30 Aug 2017, 17:35 • #5 
Master Guide
Probably easier to find 7/8wt long belly wf lines than 7/8wt dt these days. The extra length heads might be just enough for your fishing distances.

Post 30 Aug 2017, 20:39 • #6 
Guide
I know 406 has some

Post 31 Aug 2017, 16:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
depends on what you have on the end of the line.big hair or cork balsa bugs seem to benefit from a fatheaded wf bass bug taper.throwing an 8wt bass bug line on an 8ft heddon 8wt.my shoulder is not shot but not good.i backcast high and overhead.not by choice but conditions dictate because of high banks and vegetation.when the back cast starts to straighten as much up as back.i haul hard and lean forward.puts a good bend in the rod,50 60 feet even in a headwind,for streamers bunny strips etc i use a gowdy para 8'6" with a 7wt bass taper.both rigs do what i use them for well,not well vice versa.

Post 02 Sep 2017, 11:51 • #8 
Guide
I don't have experience with those rods so can't speak to that part of the equation. But I agree with the hersh that the fly has significant bearing on the line/taper, not to mention the leader. When you say "bass rig", I'm thinking larger, more wind resistant flies, poppers, etc. that benefit from a line with heavier head and a shorter, steaper leader. I also suspect that if the line and leader are matched to the type of fly, your shoulder will work less. For this type of rig I use an SA Headstart with a stout, hand-tied bass leader, and it works great.

I also carry a reel loaded with a 406 DT for change-ups during the day, and I can't say enough about those lines. They cast really well.

I pair both these outfits with a Steffen, in this case a 6wt, but the mechanics are the same.

"Slow stroke" caught my eye. That means a more open loop. I cast off to the side a little, Lefty Kreh style, and it's great peace of mind when throwing the larger stuff. He also believes that it takes stress off the shoulder.

Post 02 Sep 2017, 12:18 • #9 
Guide
By bass rig, i do mean bass bugs, poppers, and weighted streamers run 406 on most of my rods, use wf7, wf8 wf6, dt6, and dt5 on my phillipsons. Just debating whether it is worth tge investment to convert the wf7 and wf8 to dt. And yes, i cast and throw sidearm wherever possible, 3/4 if i have to, but even when fishing spinning gear from a kayak, i still cast side arm with an uppercut. At this point, its a value play. Is it worth 70 bucks to convert my 406 wf7 or 8 to dt of the same. Wjat do you mean by carrying dt for change. Ups?

Post 02 Sep 2017, 14:35 • #10 
Guide
At the distances you mentioned, as magicwrench and kalgrm said, there is virtually no difference within the 406 family between WF and DT. For the bigger bugs I think the change to consider is in the type of line. The 406 lines are fairly fine and excell at what I would call more "trouty" stuff. At least, that's how I apply them. For bigger bass type fare, I like a heavier, thicker taper that transfers the energy needed, hence the bass line (essentially what the Headstart is, or close enough). I think of it as the line bossing the fly around rather than the other way around. Too light a taper simply gets jerked around by a big bass fly. Ditto for the leader, which deserves more dialing in than it often gets.

That more a less addresses my "change up" comment. I carry both lines in my bag (and not only those) because in one day I might try for blue gill, bass, carp, whatever, and like to suit the rig to the quarry. The Steffen is a versatile stick!

Hope that helps.

David

Post 02 Sep 2017, 17:13 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
If you have WF there is no real reason to invest in DT.

Cept I always feel like I done good when I finally turn a DT around and start over w a brand new line!

Post 16 Sep 2017, 00:17 • #12 
Master Guide
I have run a DT7 on one of my CGR 7/8s for bass - it does not have the authority for bigger bugs that a WF8 does in tossing those bugs. Different tapers and heavier line play in favor of the WF when throwing big or wind resistant bugs. For streamlined streamers ala clousers, woolly buggers etc or smaller poppers the DT was fine. It was not until i wanted to throw heavier or bulkier flies that i noticed the difference. If you are not casting far you could probably step to a DT9 and have the mass to throw a big bug. At short range its no more weight in the air than a longer cast on a #8.

Post 16 Sep 2017, 06:31 • #13 
Piscator
What you're trying to do with a bass rig is very different from what you're doing with a dry fly.
With a dry fly, you shouldn't be shooting line, but handling long lengths of line in the air for a delicate presentation.
Thought I'll add, I've shot a DT to the end of the line on Heddon 2f cane.

The old Rocket taper was a short-belly line made for shooting distance, and was the bass bug line.

With long-belly lines in the salt, the goal is shooting max distance on that single, important cast. They're actually not made for fishing, but for shooting a single sight-cast to max distance.

Fishing, you'd like to be able to get your speed up on a single back-cast, then shoot to your fishing distance - over and over. The point of a bass bug taper.

For max distance, I go subsurface to a Teeny line, T130 etc. It does exactly what I described. A roll-cast to bring everything to the surface, a single back-cast to bring up line speed, and shoot.
In the salt, I've consistently shot my TS250 out to 140', leader, line and backing (not on a single back-cast, but with a couple to bring up line speed, and with a shooting basket).

New Topic Add Reply