It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:37

New Topic Add Reply
First glass rod
Post 29 Jul 2017, 09:53 • #1 
Guide
Hello, first post. I found this forum researching a few rods I'm interested in. I've narrowed it between an Orvis SFG 703 or the Scott F2 653. I didn't find any comparisons between the two and was hoping to get some feedback, particularly on the Orvis. The Scott has a lot of good feedback, the Orvis has great feedback as well, but in the 4wt.

I'm looking for a shorter rod to fish a few local creeks and ponds for panfish and the occasional small bass that live in the creeks. Currently my lightest duty rod is a 5wt tip flex H2. I'd fish mainly stimulators, bully spiders, panfish poppers, and if capable, small buggers/worms in sizes up to 10 or weighted panfish flies in 12/14 size.

I've read the Scott 653 has a bit more backbone than the 7' F2, will it have more than the Orvis?

Thanks

Re: First glass rod
Post 29 Jul 2017, 10:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I'm very fond of the F2 653 but I almost exclusively use it for dries 12 (or more often 14) and smaller. When evaluating a small stream 3wt. that's my focus but I like to know what it CAN do, and it will do what you've set forth. But if I were going to cast weighted 10-6 14 size flies, or even bushy 10 dries as my primary plan I'd grab a 4 or 5 wt. BTW if you're not used to glass you may be surprised how much fun a small fish is on a 5 wt. and you'd still have enough rod to comfortably cast lots of flies.

Post 29 Jul 2017, 11:13 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Glass rods aren't known for "backbone", but the Orvis rods offer more than most.:

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fish ... glass-rod/

I agree with Upstream, most any 5wt glass rod will deliver a nice thumping ride. even with a small fish.

Post 29 Jul 2017, 11:19 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Aurelio is the Scott 653 man to talk to. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Post 29 Jul 2017, 11:39 • #5 
Guide
Upstreeam wrote:
I'm very fond of the F2 653 but I almost exclusively use it for dries 12 (or more often 14) and smaller. When evaluating a small stream 3wt. that's my focus but I like to know what it CAN do, and it will do what you've set forth. But if I were going to cast weighted 10-6 14 size flies, or even bushy 10 dries as my primary plan I'd grab a 4 or 5 wt. BTW if you're not used to glass you may be surprised how much fun a small fish is on a 5 wt. and you'd still have enough rod to comfortably cast lots of flies.

I don't have to cast weighted flies, just if it's capable. I think 20ft would be a long cast most of the time. Stimulators would get most use.

Post 29 Jul 2017, 12:37 • #6 
Guide
jrod88 wrote:
I don't have to cast weighted flies, just if it's capable. I think 20ft would be a long cast most of the time. Stimulators would get most use.

They're still bushy flies, and you still might want to to consider a heavier line weight rod.

Post 29 Jul 2017, 12:56 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If you haven't had a chance to cast a glass rod yet, you'd really want to do that before choosing any rod. Glass feels different than graphite. That's the reason we choose to fish it. But the most obvious difference (to me) is that a glass rod feels a full line weight lighter than a comparable graphite stick. Going from a 5wt graphite to a 3wt glass might totally throw you off and possibly give you a bad first impression of glass.

See if you can borrow or test a glass 5wt first just to get the nuance of glass. Then move down a line weight and see how that feels. Personally, I think you'd be happier with a 4wt for what you describe.

Post 29 Jul 2017, 13:01 • #8 
Guide
I haven't cast one of the Scott rods so I can't offer feedback on that one, but I have cast a 4wt Orvis and liked it quite bit. Just a thought about another rod or two that you could consider, though, are some of Chris Barclay's offerings. I have one of his 7' 4wts that would be perfect for what you are describing. His 723 or 7'2" 3wt would also be perfect. The 704 is very versatile, throwing small dries to lightly weighted nymph rigs, buggers and small bead/cone head streamers. It has a great fish-on feel with little bluegills and had enough backbone to fight a 22" rainbow until I put too much pressure on the spool and snapped the 6x tippet. It is truly an awesome little stick. Price-wise it would fit right in between the Orvis and the Scott and you could have things like the grip, guides, and wrap colors done to your liking. I can't say enough good about his rods and Chris himself, they are both awesome! I am currently impatiently waiting for one of his 75P parabolic rod myself. Sorry if I sound like an advertisement, his stuff is just that good. Chris is a guy who loves fishing small streams and many of his rods are designed with that in mind.

Post 30 Jul 2017, 15:21 • #9 
Guide
There are a lot of recommendations for Chris Barclay's rods. I may order one of them later on, if I get more into glass. The 70P looks interesting. Right now a factory rod seems like a better purchase for me.

Post 30 Jul 2017, 16:07 • #10 
Sport
I have the slightly longer version of both rods; Scott 703 and SFG 7.5' 3 weight. Both are great rods and a lot of fun to fish. In my hands the Scott is a true 3 weight, my favorite line being 406 DT. The Orvis fishes best with a heavier 3 wt line (Rio Gold) or even a 4 wt. The Orvis is more versatile and I fish it more. The Scott is a great rod for short casts with a single small dry whereas the Orvis can handle larger dries, small hopper/dropper or even light weight indicator nymphing. Both are good choices just depends on your preference. The Orvis is the faster of the two, not graphite-like but more tip-flex, quick recovery and a little better a shooting line under low hanging vegetation. The Scott probably presents a little softer. I like the added 6" on the Orvis 90% of the time.

Post 01 Aug 2017, 08:56 • #11 
Guide
Thanks for that info WNC. I'm a little slow to respond as I'm at annual training with my guard unit and cell reception is spotty in this valley they have me in.

I may like the "tip-flex" quality of the SFG, I have three tip-flex H2's. I'll be able to cast the Orvis, but won't be able to compare to anything else.

Late last night I was looking at 4wts since a heavier line seems to be preferable for panfish sized flies and the short rods for that weight seem to be 7 1/2'. Any other 7' options other than 70P?

Post 01 Aug 2017, 09:45 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I also have the Orvis 7'6" 3wt SFG. It is a pretty nice rod. I also own the 4wt and find it to be an all-around trout rod for the mountains -- it will fling small beadhead nymphs and #14 buggers in addition to #10 hoppers and dries.

I have not used the 3wt all that much, but have enjoyed it on some small creeks this spring.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 13:52 • #13 
Sport
I have the 7' 3 wt for creek use and love it. Tight little loops and great roll casts with small flies and if you put some muscle into it with a 1x leader you can turn over a big popper out to 35' when needed. Crazy fun for fighting a little sunfish with power to land good size bass. I just bought the SFG 8' 5 wt because I love this rod so much and you can't beat the price online/no tax/free $75 line.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 15:46 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Whoa nice fish on a 3 weight!

Post 21 Sep 2017, 17:18 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I wanted an all rounder rod for smaller streams and wound up with a new Fenwick Fenglass in a 7' 4wt. I'm very happy with it. It performs well with dries and effectively handles small streamers. Best part; it doesn't feel like a club. It's a really nice all around small stream rod.
I fished a few different 704s over the past 35 years before getting this. Most of them had fancier pedigrees.

Post 22 Sep 2017, 19:21 • #16 
I’ve got a 7' Hardy Sirrus Glass with Sintrix 3/4wt. It’s their new glass rod with about 10% graphite. I can tell you I really like it, and I’ve only read good things from people who have actually fished with it. . It’s $400, so it’s in the mid price range like some of the other rods mentioned. I know some old timers bitch about the aesthetics, but if you just look at pure performance, it’s really a gem. So this is another possibility.

Post 22 Sep 2017, 20:16 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Steffen!

New Topic Add Reply