It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:50

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Jul 2017, 02:28 • #26 
Sport
Also I want to tell you all the leaders that I build are three sections.
In Spain a great casting instructor, angler and now owner of MAXIA RODS designed an Excel to calculate the leader according to the total length, number of sections ... and showed that any leader can be built in only three sections, and works perfectly.
For bass would be: 0.45mm/150cm+0.35/100cm+tippet/75cm- It would work very well.
Regards

Post 30 Jul 2017, 09:07 • #27 
Here is an option for you, furled mono leaders. I have been making and using them for the past couple of years, they lay out flat, last a long time and perform well.
  • Easy to make and inexpensive
  • One surgeon knot is all that's required
  • Loops are built in on both ends for loop to loop connections
  • Any left over mono or flurocarbon can be used

Using mono for surface lures and flurocarbon for sub surface is ideal. I have been using 10-12 pound material for bass. A butt section of four strand a mid section of two strand from a single section of mono that has one knot. Finally a tippet of the same material with a perfection loop.

Here is a YouTube video that details construction.>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs
Here is another that also shows construction and how to dye the leader.>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvpoKoaWBOg
(not my videos or any connection just useful information)

Post 30 Jul 2017, 14:39 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Kalgrm wrote:
I'm afraid Masons Hard Nylon is the exact opposite of the best type of material to use for making leaders. You should get supple monofilament for creating leaders (whether it's nylon or FC doesn't matter). Stiffness is the enemy of a good leader. Jinkai is perfect.

Graeme,

I didn't directly respond to this the first time but the thread bumped up again and you got me interested. You and I usually agree on things, but I am a big fan of Hard Mono (Maxima Chamelion or Clear) or Trilene for the butt sections of all my leaders and all of the sections for Bass leaders. The hard mono turns big, bulky bugs over better.

On trout leaders I use a Harvey leader with hard mono on the two largest sections, moving over to ultra-green (more flexible) for the next to sections and then a good long tippet (stepping down in the tippet if I have to go below 4x). I think it was Bulldog that mentioned moving from Chamelion to Ultra-green and I find it works well.

The only reason I can think that stiff material is bad for leaders is for drag-free drift. The Chamelion doesn't have the relative strength for it's diameter, but for the thicker sections it is more than adequate.

What are the problems you see with hard nylon?

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply