It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Jun 2017, 18:01 • #1 
Sport
Been reading a number of posts on glass rods with parabolic actions and would like to give it a try. I spend a lot of time with strongly regressed (parabolic) spey rods and would like to give it a try with a glass single hander. Problem is I don't want to try it so badly that I would make a purchase from Chris Barclay, etc., right away. So, wondering what else is out there in vintage or less expensive modern rods preferably in the 4-6wt. range? Who knows, might even trade a Fenwick or two in order to get my hands on one.

TMc

Post 01 Jun 2017, 19:15 • #2 
Sport
I'm gonna show my ignorance here, but what makes a parabolic action what it is, and what are the other actions one would find today?

Post 01 Jun 2017, 19:20 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
There ain't much. Modern makers making parabolics are Barclay and Wojnicki and you'll pay twice for a Wojnicki than for a Barclay. I might be missing a maker or two. There is a very limited market for them. You're wise though to try before you buy. Parabolics are an acquired taste. They like to be cast in a particular way. It's not a quick action and then they have a bit of a kick when they unload. And are not the most versatile rod design because they don't tend to cast well at short distances, although some can be excellent roll casters. Roll casting is one of the reasons short parabolics are favored by some. But poor short distance performance is why rod designers tend to go the route of the so called semi-parabolic which allows some bend in the tip at shorter distances. I haven't cast all of Chris's parabolics but I don't think they are full on parabolic but rather semi-parabolic. I'm sure he will chime in to correct me if I'm wrong on that count.

There are also very few vintage rods that were parabolic. You certainly won't find a 4 or 5 weight that I can think of. But a 6-7 wt does come to mind. Garcia made a Ritz model in a few sizes and the one I'm thinking of was 7'10". Ritz was the guy who popularized the parabolic many years ago. It had a staggered ferrule if I remember correctly. They cast a long line very nicely. And they are sharp looking for a Garcia. Keep an eye on ebay. One will show eventually. But you may wait quite a while for one. Not many were made. They should come in for under $200 when you see them though.

Another option is to make an effort to go to a conclave this summer and try one of Chris's rods. You are likely to find one there.

Ahh, and there is yet another option. If you can find two rods where the ferrules fit and are from the same line of rods, but are one line weight or two apart, take the tip from the heavier rod and put it on the butt of the lighter rod. This will give you something somewhat close to a parabolic taper. This is how Scott made their Bass model rods many years ago resulting in a parabolic type action. And this is where I think parabolics excel, in casting long lines of heavy or bushy flies in a relaxed action. This probably won't work on crappy butt over tip rods though.

Last edited by CrustyBugger on 01 Jun 2017, 21:16, edited 2 times in total.

Post 01 Jun 2017, 20:22 • #4 
Master Guide
Tom McCoy wrote:
Been reading a number of posts on glass rods with parabolic actions and would like to give it a try.

Be careful what you wish for. How are you defining "parabolic"? It may not be even close to what is referred to as Parabolic by knowledgeable rod makers.

I suspect you want a smoothly progressive rod, one where any bend in the rod looks a bit like half a parabola.

A "parabolic action" in a rod will be bent at the tip, straighten out somewhat and then bend again at the butt just above the grip. They look like this and are terrible to cast (note the bend just above the grip). I've played with a couple of bamboo parabolic rods. They take a lot of adjustment of the casting stroke to get something out of them. Not bad for casts between 40' & 80' but for longer and shorter casts, they do not work well in my hands.

Progressive action rods are what most of us have access to. Just find an action you like and fish with it.

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 01 Jun 2017, 20:47 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Graeme makes a very good point about distance. Longer parabolics can cast 50 or 60ft all day long and comfortably. Parabolics were originally designed to cast a long line. But with the thin butt, you reach a point with hollow rods where deformation starts to take over and the rod fizzles out. If you want to cast a really long, your better off with something that has a stout butt. So Graeme's point of a range of say 40' to 80' is spot on. It may be 40 to 65 or 35 to 70 but the point is that it is limited range that parabolics work well in. Because of this though, parabolics are great for bank shooting where your boat stays about the same distance from shore. I have one parabolic, it's a 9' 8wt. It casts a big bushy bass fly like it's a dry fly but within a limited distance range. And I use it for that purpose. It also roll casts pretty darn good within a limited range. But don't ask it to cast heavy flies well or cast shorter distances accurately into lily pads. It won't do it. If you want a more versatile rod, get a progressive taper that suits your casting style. Having said all that, I do admire what Chris has done with his semiparabolics. His 64P is probably the best casting short parabolic I have ever cast whether they are graphite, glass, or cane, including Ritz, Paul Young, Payne, etc. He has cleverly designed in the capability to cast up close. But I certainly wouldn't call it a "true parabolic" as you ask for in your thread title. It's a hybrid from what I can make of it.

Post 01 Jun 2017, 20:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Alchemy Tackle has Dharma blanks for $200. Yes they are parabolic.

Post 01 Jun 2017, 20:54 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Izch, a Japanese rod builder makes parabolic/ semi parabolic rods at affordable prices. There's a few older posts about them on the forum. There's a few forum members that have an Izch or two that may chime in.

Post 01 Jun 2017, 23:24 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
scud dog wrote:
Izch, a Japanese rod builder makes parabolic/ semi parabolic rods at affordable prices.

I've never cast an Izch, but it is worth viewing http://www.navybass.com as well as http://www.bluedunn.net occasional.

Post 02 Jun 2017, 09:01 • #9 
Piscator
ISO1600 wrote:
I'm gonna show my ignorance here, but what makes a parabolic action what it is, and what are the other actions one would find today?

I'll take parabolic to task. The classic para taper in glass is 6'3" Berkley Gowdy Para/metric, and in cane, 7'4" PHY Driggs River.
The tip is relatively fast, the mid sllghtly slower, and the small-diameter butt feels soft, loading deep into the handle.
They respond very well to short, smooth arm movements and haul, launching surprising line length.
The taper is easy to achieve in short rods, and they tend to be very good tools for fishing overhang with big flies.
Though they don't call them para, two examples of para taper in modern graphite rods are Sage RPLX and TCR - unforgiving, but rewarding good casting habits with extra distance (I consistently cast my RPLX7 140' one day when fishing the surf).

I have the Izch PBEX8667 para S-glass salt rod. I have shot the rod before and stood in amazement looking at it, wondering when the shooting line was ever going to stop.

As others stated, progressive is more typical in glass, and e-glass is perfect for super-progressive (the old Heddon Trout tapers, and the cane example is Thomas Light Special). Progressive tapers typically give you better control with short line lengths, effortless long casts when you load deeper into the mid, and a big-fish-fighting butt.
Super-progressive are the ultimate dry-fly tapers, with a tip that lets you accurately cast the leader alone, and faster mid for quick casts.
Progressive tapers work better in longer rods, the exception being Phillipson's short rods (among the few short progressive tapers that roll-cast well).

Para taper is always the best choice for shooting line. Progressive taper is always the best choice for accurate casting.

Most newer rods have gone away from either extreme, and are closer to classic wet fly tapers/ semi-para.
Wet fly tapers (semi-para) are something in-between. In longer, slower rods, these can be really deep-flexing and noodle-y.
We call them semi-para when they're fast rods, and wet fly when they're slower.
but the taper tends to be smooth flexing from end to end, good with big flies, all-around work horse rods, and my favorite example is cane, 8' Heddon 1-3/4f. I do have a glass example, System 5 - neither of these rods have a noodle-y bone in them, and plenty of power.

Post 02 Jun 2017, 10:38 • #10 
Sport
Are there going to be any glass gatherings/claves in the PNW this year?

Post 02 Jun 2017, 11:03 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
ISO1600 wrote:
Para taper is always the best choice for shooting line. Progressive taper is always the best choice for accurate casting.

I like fishing wet flies with para tapers.
They load so well in the butt section,
I can lift the line to a single back-cast and then re-direct and shoot a forward cast - all in one motion.
And without much effort. Makes for a nice relaxing experience.

I do disagree that paras are for only long-line fishing.
They load-up just fine for me at normal trout stream distances (15-30ft).
They do need about 10'-15' of line out to feel like they are loading well,
and won't "cast just the leader" like some progressives will, very well.

I think heavier line paras (#7-ish) do very well on the bass pond, also.

Para glass makers I can think of:
McFarland
Barclay
IZCH
Ijuin

and
Green? (not 100% sure about this one)

Post 02 Jun 2017, 11:59 • #12 
Piscator
Everything I wrote is 100% accurate and does not need interpretation nor extrapolation from you
please speak for yourself and not pretend to speak for me
I speak for myself just fine, thank you

Another thing about super-progressive as dry fly rods. The short soft tip protects the finest tippet against anything, and the quick mid delivers your strike instantly.
One day I took a canon to a quick-draw gunfight. We started off in a deep hole bottom-bouncing streamers, and I had the best tool. Upstream, we found a rare dry-fly hatch on the Guadalupe, though it became consistent that year.
I had my 7'10" 5-wt para cannon, missed strikes, broke tippet, managed to land a fish, while my buddy Steve F (any of you FFF fly tiers should know him) landed 20 on his FF75.
Next time on that hatch, I had my Thomas Light Special, and it was them watching me catch fish.

Post 02 Jun 2017, 11:59 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
Everything I wrote is 100% accurate and does not need interpretation nor extrapolation from you
please speak for yourself and not me
I speak for myself just fine, thank you

"lighten up, Francis."

my comments weren't directed at you at all.
in fact, I agree with what you said.

(the comments about paras only fishing long lines well, were made earlier in the thread...)

Post 02 Jun 2017, 20:10 • #14 
Master Guide
Tom McCoy wrote:

Yes - there's one on 6/24. The details are posted on WFF:

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/for ... am.127405/

Post 03 Jun 2017, 00:23 • #15 
Sport
Going to try and make that one. Any idea how many participants will be on hand?

Post 03 Jun 2017, 21:20 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
My 8'6" Berkley Parametric Curt Gowdy would be in this group. I have two other 8'6" Berk Parametrics, a 3 piece PD-40 and a 2 piece P-40. Neither one is parabolic to me. However, I prefer the non-Gowdy rods simply because they are so much lighter.

Post 04 Jun 2017, 19:59 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
agreed gearboy,have been fishing the 8'6 gowdy lately.throws bunny worms and streamers well.a little faster than i expected,a little too fast for the big poppers and bugs i like to throw.handles wind well but the big bugs seem to hang in the air and slow the line down.my big 8 and 9 wt heddons are lighter and slower. really seem to punch those big bugs out past 40 feet.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 02:09 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Tom McCoy wrote:

There should be! And there should be some BBQ involved!

New Topic Add Reply