It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:04

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 May 2017, 16:15 • #1 
Master Guide
So I was poking around Wallmart this afternoon and in the fishing aisle I spied a couple a big yellow sticks, naturally I had to take em down and give em a wiggle. They had a pair of EagleClaw Crafted Glass, 8'6" in length and labeled as a 5 weight. Quality wise the hardware looked pretty dang decent, I also liked the wraps, cork and seat. If the wife wasn't with me I would have taken it home right there, I foresee a trip planned sans wife soon. That extra length sounds interesting, and for under 30 bucks….I see this a being a cool project to extend to 9' and turn into a mini two hander.

So has anyone had a chance to cast one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Claw-C ... /181467749

Post 22 May 2017, 19:58 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't seen them...but I am officially interested

Post 24 May 2017, 08:54 • #3 
Master Guide
Haven't cast one yet, but I noticed the 8'6" 5 weight is a parabolic, according to Eagle Claw. That's pretty interesting.

Post 24 May 2017, 19:13 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
have the 5/6 .think it's 7.5.had a ball throwing between docks with weighted streamers and a lead tape zonker.stopped counting after 50 crappies.bought it as a cheap beater leave in the work van rod.find it to cast accurate and pretty far.really one of those rods that is soft yet responsive.was easy to cast low to the water from a boat to get under some docks and boat houses.

Post 27 Jun 2017, 11:30 • #5 
Guide
So, are they under 30 bucks or are they 60 bucks as shown on the posted link. Quality of build in the picture does look good, particularly the cork handle.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 08:52 • #6 
Master Guide
I bought the 7'6" 3wt from FishUSA for just under 50. The 8'6" 5wt is 5 dollars more. You get free shipping on purchases of 50 or more. The quality of the 3wt is surprisingly good and it is a fun 3wt.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 21:53 • #7 
Master Guide
I went ahead and picked one up a couple weeks back, still 29.99 at my local wallmart.

It's a tip heavy beast, ended up using 100 yards of lead core under the backing to get it balanced. And that's with using the new pflueger medalist 7/8 even.

That said it's wicked fun and tosses a 7wt bass taper line like a boss! So far I've landed about 150 stripers in the salt up to 20 inches and a handful of river smallmouth and lots dinner plate sized crappie.

I'm happy with it, ferrule fit is much improved over previous models and the quality of the components is not what you'd expect for a beater rod under 30 bucks.

Post 04 Jul 2017, 16:16 • #8 
Guide
I recently bought a Wright & Mcgill Eagle Claw Featherlight FL300 7'.Its the newer model and I really didnt care for it.I used it on a few streams and didnt cast very well.The older FL 300 rods are far better I think for fishing.I have a few that are the tobacco color glass.

Post 17 Jul 2017, 00:44 • #9 
Sport
Always been a point of aggravation to me that the lower the price point of the rod the more wraps they have to put on the guides. Lots of spirals and tipping add bling and must impress some. They have a nice tight wrap on the foot of the guide in their pics but then they have to spiral halfway down to the next guide. Stop...tip if you must...no spiral wrapping. Some beautiful custom have wraps in front of the handle that require mixing a dozen spools of threads and weights and 4 hands to make but don't add a thing to the rod except bling.

And that from the guy who takes the time and aggravation of adding intermediates to the bamboo rods I buy without them.

Post 17 Feb 2018, 14:56 • #10 
Master Guide
I noticed a local Walmart had a couple of these 8'6" rods. It was going for 28.80 and so I bought one. The rod weighed in at 5.2 ounces. Rather heavy, but I've cast several that have been heavier. Although SwampTrout mentioned it earlier, I was surprised at how tip heavy a rod this was. Rather than going the SwampTrout route and adding lead core line, I tried it out with a few of my heavier reels. The weight of my automatic reels brought it closer to being a balanced set up. However, even a 10 ounce reel balances just before the grip. The rod is labeled as a 5 weight. I don't know how they came up with that designation. I cast several lines and found that the lightest line I would go is a 7. A weighted 6 worked okay, but it was almost like casting with a broomstick. A 7 weight was significantly better. I tried a conventional WF and DT. Even then, I preferred an 8 WF. I didn't try the 7 weight bass taper but that sounds like an ideal option. I had a 9 WF on my Martin 72 and so I tried that as well. This put an enjoyable bend in the rod. So, my conclusion: this is an inexpensive and enjoyable option if you're looking for a 7-9 weight rod. Just don't expect it to be a 5 weight. Also, in order to cast comfortably, you'll need to balance it with a weighted reel.

New Topic Add Reply