It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 May 2017, 13:22 • #1 
Master Guide
I just happened upon the newly released 2017 Yellowstone 5wt. Shootout, and to my surprise I saw that ********* Rods is in the mix.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear- ... air-sage-x

I know it is not fiberglass and I question the criteria used to judge performance, but I still thought that it was cool to see a smaller boutique company that started out predominantly on this forum mentioned and reviewed among the big box companies. I still fish my 8'9" 7wt. ********* glass rod regularly, and I am bringing it with me to the boundary waters in about a month. It's a great all-around warm water rod. I am also looking forward to fishing with Dusty again at the upcoming Coulee Conclave in a couple weeks!

Colt

Post 04 May 2017, 16:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Congrats, Dusty! I bet if you put in some serious effort into their unlisted category of "Unmitigated Butt Kissing" you'll place in the top 5 next year! ;)

One interesting thing that I couldn't help but notice... they say the reason the NRX LP keeps winning is that.. "There are several rods that cast as well if not better at long range, but nothing beats this rod at the short to medium distances, that we fish most of the time." (And I think we'd agree that this range is exactly where glass rods excel.) And then go on to tout the fishing/designing skills of Steve Rajeff and yet totally ignore the fact that he fishes glass 75% of the time.

I can't help but wonder if Rajeff would rather fish one of Dusty's glass sticks than the legendary NRX LP. And thus the reason I think the YSA shootouts are for entertainment purposes only.

Post 04 May 2017, 17:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I find a lot of faults with their testing criteria and I could fill a few pages discussing it but the one at the top of my list is that they don't even rate the rods with 5wt lines only. Almost all of them are 5.5 wt rods or more. The order of those rods would be totally different if the ratings were based on how well they cast 5 wt lines. But they say it's ok if they cast best with 5.5 wt lines. What a crock! At least their top rod, the NRX LP, is a good performer with a 5 wt line but most of those rods are not.

Post 04 May 2017, 18:02 • #4 
Master Guide
I agree that I would not judge the rods in the same manner as the Yellowstone Shootout. While the review used to feature a Tom Morgan 5wt. rod offering in the mix, I was surprised to see a ********* rod in the mix this time.

Post 04 May 2017, 18:20 • #5 
Guide
Just glad to see ********* in the mix....

Post 07 May 2017, 00:19 • #6 
Master Guide
That's pretty awesome! Congrats Dusty.

Post 07 May 2017, 12:11 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys, I was very happy for the press. I will actually have that model in Wisconsin. I've spent all morning looking at WI DNR maps getting ready for the Coulee Conclave. So excited.

Post 24 May 2017, 20:21 • #8 
Master Guide
looking at their deflection charts it seems they like the rods that have more flex in the mid section than the fast sage style rods so thumbs up to them. it would be nice to see what would happen if they did the same test with non-big production rods. I bet they would get really excited.

Post 25 May 2017, 07:25 • #9 
Master Guide
JoeFriday wrote:
...One interesting thing that I couldn't help but notice... they say the reason the NRX LP keeps winning is that.. "There are several rods that cast as well if not better at long range, but nothing beats this rod at the short to medium distances, that we fish most of the time." (And I think we'd agree that this range is exactly where glass rods excel.) And then go on to tout the fishing/designing skills of Steve Rajeff and yet totally ignore the fact that he fishes glass 75% of the time....

I 'think' that is it Tim, his brother who is owner/designer for Echo who fishes glass predominantly.

Post 25 May 2017, 10:34 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
If the rod in the shoot-out is the same one Dusty handed me at the Coulee Conclave, let me officially say I liked it. I remember telling him that I didn't have much interest in fishing graphite anymore, but his rod was sweet. Aside from being slightly faster than I'm used to, I wouldn't have noticed it wasn't glass.

Post 28 May 2017, 21:33 • #11 
Master Guide
Very cool!

Post 05 Jun 2017, 04:41 • #12 
Guide
Quote:
find a lot of faults with their testing criteria and I could fill a few pages discussing it but the one at the top of my list is that they don't even rate the rods with 5wt lines only. Almost all of them are 5.5 wt rods or more. The order of those rods would be totally different if the ratings were based on how well they cast 5 wt lines. But they say it's ok if they cast best with 5.5 wt lines. What a crock! At least their top rod, the NRX LP, is a good performer with a 5 wt line but most of those rods are not.

I hope this is not thread hi-jacking. Please delete or move if so.
I think many of the problems with the yellowstone anglers shootout would be solved if they included rollcasting in the test. The stiff sticks would fail miserably, as would the front loaded taper lines they use in the test.

Post 05 Jun 2017, 05:34 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I think you are very correct.

However the shoot out is based on a very narrow application: fishing in western conditions. That's basically large dries, heavy nymphs with large indicators and an occasional streamer tossing.

This is typical how the most sold rods (9ft #5) are marketed.

Post 05 Jun 2017, 06:17 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
That says something, doesn't it. Congratulations, Dusty.

Post 05 Jun 2017, 06:59 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
ibookje wrote:
However the shoot out is based on a very narrow application: fishing in western conditions. That's basically large dries, heavy nymphs with large indicators and an occasional streamer tossing.

The actual testing procedure is even narrower: they tied on a piece of yarn about the size of a medium sized dry (so maybe a 14?). They say that a good 5 wt should be able to do it all (dries, nymph rigs with shot, smaller streamers), but it seems that they are judging how the rod will perform in non-dry applications by how the butt and mid-section feel rather than actually taking the rod out on the water with a nymph rig, etc. Now these guys are all experts and so I'm sure that with all of their experience they have a pretty good idea how a rod will perform certain tasks based on how it feels in their hand, but as far as I can tell the testing procedure was limited to casting yarn at targets.

Another thing, of the possible 140 points total, 50 are assigned to how the rod casts at various distances (25', 45' 70'). The "perfect 5" category has another 20 points possible. If a rod is supposed to do it all, I would think that category should be overweighted, or possibly even be the sole category. But I guess the various categories can be helpful to some people as they can place more emphasis on those that apply to their fishing conditions and ignore those that don't--not that I would ever advocate buying a rod based on the shootout.

To me the most interesting aspects of the shootout articles are the comments sections. And the one that stood out to me was that TYA apparently has a small stash of Sage LL 389 blanks and they chose Dusty to build them out for them.

Post 05 Jun 2017, 10:01 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I think the whole shootout is worthless in lieu of the fact that they insist on using the same line for every rod. I believe most of us here are familiar with how dramatically different a rod can feel and perform with different lines. The shootout should be called "what rod best suits our line". If they allowed the rod manufacturers to mate their rods to their chosen line (which is probably what the rod was designed to use) the results would likely be very different.

Last edited by JoeFriday on 06 Jun 2017, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Jun 2017, 16:58 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
For many people it's a big help to distinguish the different brands and models. Especially for who doesn't have access to a fly shop nearby.

Eventually you should cast the rods to really see what fits your casting and budget.

Then there is a group of people that rely solely on 'popularity lists' like this. Generally they know squat about fly rods or just have too much to spend. As long as their friends are impressed...

Post 06 Jun 2017, 07:00 • #18 
Guide
Despite the critique and a lot of room for improvement, I think it is the best and most comprehensive test out there and making it in the list is certainly a success.

I bought my first rod based on their 8 wt shootout (TFO BVK 8wt). I had just the pacific close by, no trout streams, and was totally aware that I had no idea of fly fishing. No way to judge a rod by wiggling or test casting at that stage of the learning curve. That rod lived totally up to the test. A true cannon with 30ft of T-11. Caught lots of surf perch and stripers on that rod. Would buy it again anytime if I had to.

Now that I have some more experience, I can read between the lines of the comments on the different rods. The shorter distance categories are more interesting. Unfortunately, the rods I am interested in for trout fishing are just not in the line up, and will never make it there. Therefore, the shoot out has become obsolete for me, personally.

Post 07 Jun 2017, 04:27 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Shootouts are useful marketing tools. They teach us to look for the perfect rod. Nice way to get us addicted to gear and into fishing.

For everything else they are flawed and of little practical use. Luckily most of the gear on the market is more than adequate for the purpose of catching fish and spending a nice day on the stream, river, flats or lake - so no one risks being too disappointed.

Post 07 Jun 2017, 08:09 • #20 
Guide
Point taken. I guess this means in my case, I would probably have caught just as many stripers and surf perch on a $50 8wt instead of a $250. Thinking about it, you seem completely right. I think I escaped the spell of gear addiction incited by shoot outs now. It was replaced by gear addiction incited by this forum... Still wondering what is worse.

Post 07 Jun 2017, 09:24 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
This forum is definitely better. Worse?

Post 20 Jul 2017, 17:43 • #22 
Master Guide
I see the Yellowstone shootouts as a marketing gimmick, nothing more, and zero useful info in them. Their testing methodology is lacking, and the top rod is always one of the most expensive. Its an ad for thousand-plus dollar outfits disguised as an objective test.

Ohio Fly Fishers does a far better job of rod testing as they use different lines and test their rods by actually *fishing* with them. And their "winners" are not always the most expensive rods. Then again they are not a fly shop with expensive inventory to move.

George Anderson and his cronies lost all credibility with me when they took shots at TFO saying the BVK casts nice but will fall apart in short order compared to the 4x more expensive Loomis and Hardy rods. I have owned and fished hard with far cheaper TFO rods and never had issues aside from sone cork filler coming off the grip. They will also have you believe you cant fish for big fish without a Nautilus or Bauer reel. I have a couple of those too but I use my Echos and Medalists just as much and have never had an issue landing a fish.

I own a few G Loomis rods. Wonderful casting and fishing tools in their own right but they fill niches. As do my cheap rods. FWIW i fish cheaper glass a lot more than I pull out the expensive graphite stuff. The graphites are great for long line work or when i need a long rod in some nymphing techniques but sub 40' glass is better, in my opinion.

Post 20 Jul 2017, 18:12 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
mmckenzie wrote:
I see the Yellowstone shootouts as a marketing gimmick, nothing more, and zero useful info in them. Their testing methodology is lacking, Ohio Fly Fishers does a far better job of rod testing as they use different lines and test their rods by actually *fishing* with them.

It was few years ago now, but I really liked how Trident Fly Fishing handled its 5 wt rod shootout. For one thing, they had "judges" of varying skill levels, not exclusively top notch casters like TYA does. They also had the judges rate the rods on, in addition to casting dries at various distances, how it performed nymphing and with streamers. Also, while they had a suggested line for each rod, the judges were allowed to try different lines to see if, in their mind, that changed the rod's performance. I'm sure the methodology wasn't perfect, but to me it sounded a lot better set up for trying to determine the "best do it all 5 wt" than TYA's shootout criteria/procedures.

Post 21 Jul 2017, 22:24 • #24 
Master Guide
I mostly agree with the "for entertainment purposes" perspective. It is worth noting that they give the Fenwick Aetos relatively high marks. If I ever need a graphite rod, Fenwick it is....

One other thought - I would consider their type of fishing "big water guided drift boat" as opposed to "western". I'm a western fisherman. I tend to fish waters for smaller rods, and we have plenty of little creeks and lakes and such all over the west...

Post 22 Jul 2017, 15:06 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
I have no intrest in the shoot out because I have no use for a 9' 5WT but for someone that fishes big water they might find it informative.......aurelio

New Topic Add Reply