It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:45

New Topic Add Reply
Orvis SFG 7'6" 3wt
Post 07 Nov 2016, 22:43 • #1 
Master Guide
I just saw this on the Orvis website. Have I been missing this rod or is this new? I was aware of the 7' 3wt and the 7'6" 4wt and I love my 8' 5wt but this looks very interesting. Does anyone know anything about it?

Last edited by Robert on 07 Nov 2016, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Orvis SFG 7'6" 3wt
Post 07 Nov 2016, 22:57 • #2 
Master Guide
I did some digging on the Orvis site and it is a new offering. I'll check with our local Orvis dealer tomorrow and see when they expect them in stock as I would love to test one out.

Post 08 Nov 2016, 03:34 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
It is new. Orvis sold many more of those glass rods than they expected, and added some new sizes. I would also like to have a look at that rod. If anyone casts one of them, please tell us about it!

Post 08 Nov 2016, 03:50 • #4 
Guide
Cameron wrote a short on it last summer:

The Fiberglass Manifesto - July 20, 2015
IFTD - New Glass For 2016
THE ORVIS COMPANY - SUPERFINE GLASS
Every time I meet with someone from The Orvis Company they mention how surprised that they have been with the interest in the Superfine Glass series. In short, it surpassed expectations of sales and along the way there have been suggestions expanding the family with a couple more fly rods.

Orvis did a good job at listening and there will soon be a 7'6" three weight and a 8'6" six weight (complete with fighting butt) to choose from rounding out the family to five fly rods in the Superfine Glass series.

I've played around with several prototypes of these two new fly rods and they are both excellent. The three weight is feels like a stepped down version of the 7'6" four weight and the six weight is going to make big trout and warmwater anglers very happy.

If you do a search on T.F.M. then you'll find quite a few posts on the Superfine Glass series and they glow with accolades for these fly rods. I'm not the only one that's been impressed and while at IFTD, Superfine Glass designer and all around "Glass Geek" Shawn Combs received an award from Gray's Sporting Journal for the Superfine Glass as a "Gray's Best 2015". Congrats.

Look for these additions to the Superfine Glass family to show up on dealers racks (and online) in October.

Best regards
Jan

Post 06 Dec 2016, 12:14 • #5 
Master Guide
i cast this rod a few months ago at the Chicago store. I hate to describe it as being right between the 7'3wt and the 7'6" 4wt but that is the best way. I only tested it with a 3wt line and it felt good with that line, i had a short period of adjustment but made some good loops. If i did not own both of the other rods i probably would go with the new 7'6' 3wt. I think a 7'6" is still a small stream length and the current 4wt has more back bone than i need on a small stream so more often i use the 7' 3wt with a 4wt line. The new 7'6" 3wt has the flex i like for tight spaces and the extra 6" is great for following your fly down stream. the 4wt feels significantly better for heavier BH nymphs and handling 16&18" trout. I can cast the short 3wt with the 4wt line as far as i can the 4wt rod but that could just be me. So if i was going out to buy one orvis today for small streams and tight spots i might very well get the new 7'6" 3wt but the original 7' 3wt is a rock star when your on a 16' wide stream.

Post 06 Dec 2016, 12:39 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks for that great report! The Orvis dealer in Colorado Springs has the 7'6" 3wt in stock and I was able to give it the old fly shop wiggle a few weeks ago. I refrained from giving it a test cast because I knew that if I liked it, I would probably end up buying it and I really should be spending my money on Christmas presents for the wife and kids. :lol

This rod and/or Chris Barclay's 7'2" 3wt. are definitely on my radar for 2017 though.

Post 06 Dec 2016, 15:39 • #7 
Master Guide
think i am heading for a james green spring creek around 7'9" next. March can't get here soon enough for me.

Post 03 Aug 2018, 19:34 • #8 
Sport
I’m thinking about picking up one of these 3 weight SFGs. Anyone fished both of the 3 weights (7’ and 7’6”)? The 7 footer appears to be discontinued. Any reason to seek it out over the currently available 7.5 footer?

Post 04 Aug 2018, 07:24 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
It may not be discontinued as Orvis has in the past removed the buy option when they are out of stock but relisted them when they are available again. At any rate I know the Bears Den Fly shop in Taunton MA has both models in stock new and has two of the seven foot versions available on their website used too. Look at their Den Discounts page under 3wt fly rods. I have no interest in the sale just noticed them recently when I was in the shop. As for the rod length question that I cannot help with as I have only cast the shorter one. A friend had one and loved it so let me try it. I have not tried the longer variation to compare.

Post 05 Aug 2018, 07:35 • #10 
Master Guide
I bought this rod shortly after my original post. I love it and fish it whenever a 3 wt is called for. I didn't cast the 7 footer but I did cast it against a Seele 763 that was being sold by a private seller. I preferred the the Orvis. Off topic, but I did buy a Seele 794 from the same seller who had the Seele 3wt. It's probably my favorite glass rod.

Post 01 Aug 2019, 20:38 • #11 
Sport
It seems as though this 7’6” 3-weight ended up being a replacement for the 7’ 3-weight rather than an addition to the Superfine Glass lineup. The shorter 3-weight is now completely absent from Orvis’s website.

New Topic Add Reply