Blue - (sample) 10%  10%  [ 17 ]
Green - (sample) 28%  28%  [ 47 ]
Yellow - (sample) 28%  28%  [ 47 ]
Red - (sample) 9%  9%  [ 15 ]
Orange - (sample) 25%  25%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 168
Post 13 May 2017, 16:29 • #76 
Glass Fanatic
I'm wondering how a 70 year old rod named "FUTUREGLASS" will be perceived.

Post 13 May 2017, 17:54 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
Blinky you realize you just insulted about 95% of the folks whose style would naturally draw them to your semi luminecent, bright / high color saturation, radioactive symbol for a label fly rods right? What market are you aiming for? Genuinely interested.

Post 13 May 2017, 18:42 • #78 
Sport
I would hope that the appeal isn't quite that selective, considering that I have never seen anyone fly fishing in a flat brimmed hat... The style is definitely not going to appeal to everyone though! Worst case scenario is that I will end up with an amazing one of a kind rod collection.

horsehead wrote:
Blinky you realize you just insulted about 95% of the folks whose style would naturally draw them to your semi luminecent, bright / high color saturation, radioactive symbol for a label fly rods right? What market are you aiming for? Genuinely interested.

Post 13 May 2017, 19:59 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
I like your positive attitude! Heck if I had a budget to design and have custom rolled my own rods I'd have a one of a kind collection as well.

Post 14 May 2017, 21:38 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
At least a flat billed hat would be a change from the trucker hats that everyone in fly fishing (except me) seems to love.

Post 14 May 2017, 23:17 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
I think it's sad that most people think wearing a baseball cap on the water provides them with the protection their skin needs while fishing. I wear a Tilley, and not because it's making me look sexy.
I'm also wondering about why folks would want a fast action rod in ANY material.
And if I took a bad blow to my head and found I wanted a fast rod, why not buy some graphite stick?
Good luck Blinky. I hope you find your niche. I'm just thinking I won't be part of it.

Post 15 May 2017, 07:04 • #82 
Master Guide
I agree with scud dog, while I wish you success, Blinky, fast rods at high prices? Might as well be graphite! I'm not the customer you're aiming at. The reason I got into glass is I don't like fast rods and can't afford high prices. At the same time, I hope you find a market for them, more choices is a good thing.

Post 15 May 2017, 07:36 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
. . . fast rods at high prices? Might as well be graphite!

Or Epic . . . with its "This-ain't-your-grandpappy's-limp-noodle", fibreglass pejoratives.

Post 15 May 2017, 08:55 • #84 
Sport
I can't really do justice to the subject of benefits and uses of "fast action rods" without writing a lengthy article or having a long conversation / demo. For starters, the term itself encompasses a massive range of different flex and taper rods. (Not to mention that the definition of the range itself is subjective.) Many fast action rod tapers can be quite extreme and should really be marketed as specialty tools for advanced casters. Even fast action rods toward the slower end of the spectrum require a more experienced caster capable of controlling a narrower casting arc, faster rod speed, smoother transition and better line timing. The industry as a whole has done a pretty poor job of marketing and selling fast actions into the hands of inappropriate skill levels. That being said, it is not rocket science. I have taught hundreds of people to cast and just about everyone can get there within 10 minutes of 1 on 1 instruction. Fast action fiberglass is obviously on the lower end of the fast action spectrum and is more forgiving, easier to load and smoother feeling than graphite. Slow action rods are definitely fun, but I would argue that they are actually more specialized tools than fast action rods since they require better weather conditions and offer less options for challenging presentations. A good fast action rod can start off throwing great dry fly presentations and then switch to shooting a sculpin on a full sinking line under tight tree overhangs when the wind picks up...

Post 15 May 2017, 11:58 • #85 
Glass Fanatic
blinky, you need to take your message to the masses! have you considered doing the fiberglass clave circuit to give folks the chance to cast your rods?

Post 16 May 2017, 12:37 • #86 
Master Guide
I'm interested, Blinky. Keep us posted.

Post 16 May 2017, 20:25 • #87 
Master Guide
Good luck Blinky. Fast actioned rods have their place. Like everyone else, I'm not a fan of the loud colors and I place performance before color. However, the other side of that coin means if the performance is there I'd overlook the color.

I'd like to cast the rod before I pass judgement.

Post 17 May 2017, 15:07 • #88 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
At this point this all sounds like a really wonderful pipe dream,hope your dream becomes a reality for you.
When you get some samples in hand be sure to post your completed introduction, with all the fine details lots of pictures of course here,if you ever decide you need to have some field testing done.
I'd be available God Willing to give one of your earth shattering "Fall Out" rods a good shakeout for you.
Tight Lines And Hope Your Daydream Becomes Reality Loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 18 May 2017, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 May 2017, 09:16 • #89 
Master Guide
picketpin52 wrote:
blinky, you need to take your message to the masses! have you considered doing the fiberglass clave circuit to give folks the chance to cast your rods?

Bring-em to Michi-Glass. We'd be happy to "shake-em-out". Mark.

Post 19 May 2017, 20:54 • #90 
Guide
"At least a flat billed hat would be a change from the trucker hats that everyone in fly fishing (except me) seems to love."

Both of them should be outlawed with extreme prejudice.

Post 19 May 2017, 22:22 • #91 
Master Guide
Glad I haven't bumped into you guys on the stream wearing one of my many trucker hats. :)

Post 19 May 2017, 22:55 • #92 
Guide
Okay you get a special dispensation!

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply