Blue - (sample) 10%  10%  [ 17 ]
Green - (sample) 28%  28%  [ 47 ]
Yellow - (sample) 28%  28%  [ 47 ]
Red - (sample) 9%  9%  [ 15 ]
Orange - (sample) 25%  25%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 168
Post 20 Aug 2015, 11:06 • #1 
Sport
I am just looking to get a feel for general color preferences on translucent fly rods by asking custom rod builders for some insight, and getting some personal preferences from owners and fans. (I also added a poll for your 2 personal favorites) I am starting a new modern fiberglass fly rod & blank company, and I could use some feedback on color preferences for stocking blank quantities before I place my initial order. Any guidance on color preferences would be very appreciated!

My translucent blanks will come in bright shades of the following colors:
Blue
Green
Yellow
Red
Orange

I am not going to go into the company name, rod construction, materials, finishes or specific color shades right now. Please do not ask. Rod details wouldn't matter anyway, because they do not directly compare to any other fiberglass rods on the market. This is my first official post, and I do not want it to come across as an advertisement. Avoiding overstocking on less popular colors would really help me during startup. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by Blinky on 20 Aug 2015, 11:25, edited 2 times in total.

Post 20 Aug 2015, 11:12 • #2 
Sport
I wasn't sure where to post this topic. Hopefully it gets noticed in Glass Tech...

Post 20 Aug 2015, 11:20 • #3 
Master Guide
I made a vote with the choices available but I really like the raw/white/nude blanks.

Post 20 Aug 2015, 11:29 • #4 
Sport
Thanks for the help! I love white and clear fiberglass rods myself. They are definitely in the mix for future rod colors.

Post 20 Aug 2015, 13:55 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Voted and agree with KWDK, good ole brown works as well.

Post 20 Aug 2015, 14:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Prefer white if not brown...

Post 20 Aug 2015, 15:48 • #7 
Guide
Rootbeer brown!

Post 20 Aug 2015, 15:59 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I entered my color preferences. If you decide to produce finished rods, I'd suggest using wraps that are translucent once finished. The only thing I'd use color fast thread for is trim.
I voted for green and orange. I'd especially like to see a true ORANGE blank.

Post 20 Aug 2015, 16:04 • #9 
Sport
In that case, you are going to like my orange!

I will be doing only clear / translucent silk wraps as the standard on all of my rods. The blanks have a unique finish that I don't want covered up. I will only add color wraps or accents on custom rods by request.

Post 20 Aug 2015, 18:19 • #10 
Master Guide
White would have been one of my choices had it been there.

Post 20 Aug 2015, 19:09 • #11 
Guide
I think any of the translucent colors would look good if finished out correctly. I voted for orange, because I think it could look nice. I personally like brown translucent blanks the most. The worst looking blanks to me are those that are painted and not translucent. They just look cheap!

Post 20 Aug 2015, 19:42 • #12 
Sport
I agree that translucency is key. It is part of my draw to fiberglass. Some of my first test blanks came back with no translucency and it would have been a deal breaker for me.

I was kind of surprised by the preference for brown translucent rods... I was thinking that translucent brown rods wouldn't throw the sunlight very well, but someone described the color as "rootbeer" and then it clicked. There are already a ton of brown rod options available in graphite and fiberglass, but I will add it to the next color list. Thanks a ton guys!

Post 21 Aug 2015, 08:09 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Is take a Rod that does what it's supposed to before one that looks like I think it should any day of the week. Form follows function. That said, I like white.

Post 21 Aug 2015, 11:44 • #14 
Guide
I voted for green & yellow, I like the orange as well but my favorite is the rootbeer brown.

Post 21 Aug 2015, 12:07 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not crazy about nude blanks though I think a pale green that mimics beach glass would be cool. I do have an Epic 480 and like it. My Dusty Miller is a sanded tea colored blank and glows amber in the sunshine. As far as translucency goes, it's really cool but it's secondary to fishability in my eyes. I'll be keeping my Kenneys, Steffens and Hardys.

Post 21 Aug 2015, 12:26 • #16 
Master Guide
White,Brown and then Blue

Post 21 Aug 2015, 13:08 • #17 
Guide
translucent brown that turns amber when backlit, like some iced tea.

pale green like the grasses next to the stream on a spring day

pale yellow amber like the same grass late in the summer

those are my favorite colors, the colors you see next to the stream.

Post 21 Aug 2015, 17:58 • #18 
Sport
As far as fishability goes, my bar is much higher than "does what it is supposed to do". Either my blanks will be the best performing fiberglass fly rods ever made, or no one will ever get the opportunity to purchase one. Performance as a fishing tool will always be my primary focus.

That said, I see no reason not to try and innovate on the style side at the same time. I expect that I will have gone too far visually for traditionalists with some of my creations, but I may win a few back with performance... Some of my custom rods will certainly raise a few eyebrows! I don't have any real advertising budget to start with, so I am doing some extreme custom rod creations to draw some attention to the company. I will detail some of my custom builds on the forum eventually.

Post 21 Aug 2015, 19:34 • #19 
Sport
Now I am now torn between iced tea and rootbeer brown for a future color!

Interesting... Still early, but I was originally thinking that blue and red would be most popular. So far they have the fewest votes. Thanks for the feedback!

Post 22 Aug 2015, 09:24 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Way I see it, if you spend your time obsessed over tapers, the colors won't matter too much. Oh, if it does the person who doesn't like the colors you're offering can go buy some brown spray paint.
Now, to address the Crusty crowd. Brown? Really? Almost every glass rod made prior to 1999 is brown. Is there a problem with seeing some variety? A different color or two? WHY BROWN? !?

Post 22 Aug 2015, 09:28 • #21 
Master Guide
"As far as fishability goes, my bar is much higher than "does what it is supposed to do". Either my blanks will be the best performing fiberglass fly rods ever made, or no one will ever get the opportunity to purchase one. "

Be careful with a statement like that. Your idea of "best performing" may vary from some one else's.

Post 22 Aug 2015, 11:25 • #22 
Sport
boarmountain wrote:
"Be careful with a statement like that. Your idea of "best performing" may vary from some one else's."

People's fly rod "preferences" are definitely as different as snowflakes, and they are often dictated by their casting ability and typical fishing situations. I do see "performance" as a bit more quantifiable in many areas, as I can define a requisite level of casting skills. I am speaking generally here as I don't want to get into the specifics too early. When the time comes, I will try to lay out specific performance attributes / trade offs along with some info on whether a rod is appropriate for a given casting stroke / skill level / fishing situation. (Things that are almost never owned up to by rod companies.) I would rather sell less rods and make sure that I get them into the right hands.

The bottom line is that I need to be convinced that it is the best performing fiberglass for its intended purpose, because I am the one who is standing behind it. Otherwise it won't matter what others might think, because I won't sell it.

Post 22 Aug 2015, 12:22 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe this question is early. But origin matters to a lot on this forum. Will they be NZ sourced like several on the forum use and epic? Japanese sourced like a certain builder here uses. Or Asian like blue halo and many many others?

Bob

Post 22 Aug 2015, 12:40 • #24 
Sport
I will definitely include the origin info when I am ready for pre-orders. There are massive differences in rod construction, quality and price depending on those origins, and I don't want to signal which direction I am heading quite this early.

Post 22 Aug 2015, 12:53 • #25 
Guide
Hope you're gonna make your dream come true! Im having my eyes on you ;) You definitely gave me something looking forward to se. :) Like your thinking!

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply