It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:34

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Seele Saltwater rods
Post 19 May 2015, 08:33 • #1 
A literal competition among fiberglass guys to see who has the biggest stick. Anyone have any experience with the Seele 10, 12, or even 14 weight rods? Heavier than graphite? Ability to hurl big lines? I saw a video with the 12wt battling it out with a tarpon, and it looked like the guy was being forced to fight the fish with the rod pointed pretty much at the fish the entire time. On a fish that big, that pretty much eliminates all of your shock absorption, right? Anyways, I digress. Any experience?
Thanks a lot guys!

Re: Seele Saltwater rods
Post 19 May 2015, 10:21 • #2 
Master Guide
I don't have any experience with the Seele rods, but I have fished a glass 3M Great Equalizer and a Fisher Bluewater glass/graphite combo, both 13/14 wts. You're right that fighting the fish with rod pointed almost directly at it minimizes shock absorption, but it does also allow the angler the strongest pull against the fish, which is sometimes necessary, so it's a bit of a tradeoff. A rod with a stronger butt is necessary when pumping a fish up from the depths because when the fish is straight below you, you don't usually have the luxury of pointing the rod vertically along the line - you need some butt power to lift the fish up. Rods like the Cam Sigler big game sticks and the old Fenwick glass rods with a stiffener that could be inserted into the butt during the fight were designed with that in mind.

I'm not familiar with the newer big game graphites, but they do claim to have big lifting power. Glass is less brittle and more forgiving than graphite, but doesn't have the same raw strength.

Post 19 May 2015, 12:03 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My buddy just bought a 8'8 10wt. I have the blank to build. When we were at the shop Micheal Mauri, the "Mike" behind the big game rods took us outside and showed us the best way to land a big tarpon. He said in using a reel that can put 17lbs of pressure pointing the rod straight at the fish for 5-10 minutes wears him down quick, then slightly angling the rod to bend in the butt right in front of the grip adds an extra 5lbs. He said this technique with these rods will landed any size tarpon in 20-25 minute. He held the line and pretended to be the tarpon :) but it gave us the feel and understood what he was talking about.

Now for casting the rods, they are heavier but they are cannons. They say it 8810 will cast a 9-12wt line. My buddy "Was" a sage guy on the 9-11 wts of the XI3. He first tried my 888 now the 8810 and he is hooked. He can cast these much farther than his sages with less effort.

Bob

Post 19 May 2015, 12:29 • #4 
Bob that's ridiculous! Any reports on accuracy? That actually sounds like a fun rod to fish! And the tarpon fighting technique sounds like it would be effective. Re-watching the video, that seems to be exactly what they are doing with the rod! Now an excuse to use a 12 in Ohio.......musky maybe?

Post 19 May 2015, 13:22 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have cast it quite a bit, I think it is very accurate. I would go with the 8810, It will cast a 12wt if needed. I live in Pa and plan on using mine for pike and muskey. Not sure what side of Ohio you live but Seele is located in central Pa, a town called Bellwood. If you call ahead and tell them what you want to cast the would have one ready.

Bob

Post 19 May 2015, 16:13 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
My 886 casts a 6wt 444 Redfish taper just as nicely as the 8wt 444.

(edit: i'd like to retract my earlier statement. when i cast the 886 again this evening; trying 6wt, 7wt, and 8wt side by side; the rod clearly shined with the 6wt and 7wt lines. though it'll throw an 8wt just fine, the 6 and 7 hit the sweet spot.)

Last edited by tonemike on 20 May 2015, 00:40, edited 2 times in total.

Post 19 May 2015, 17:56 • #7 
mike that is one good lookin rod! No problems using it in the salt? Any pre-conceived problems of fiberglass in salt?

Post 19 May 2015, 22:55 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
chren wrote:
mike that is one good lookin rod! No problems using it in the salt? Any pre-conceived problems of fiberglass in salt?

nope, this rod was made for light salt. there are a lot of very durable fiberglass saltwater rods out there. this one should be great for fishing in the canals and mangroves of cape canaveral.

Post 21 May 2015, 08:43 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Having taken Bob's 888 out for a lawn sesh (thanks again, Bob), I can attest to the ease of throwing a lot of line. I took her (Betty) out and cast the SA 8wt Extreme Distance and cast her side by side with my Steffen 8wt and was getting a solid 20-25' more on average. She can really sling some serious line. Even though she was a full ounce heavier on the scale, once balanced out with a slightly larger reel, the swing weight felt comparable. FWIW, she also threw a 10wt Rio Tarpon short very nicely as well...super versatile stick.

Post 21 May 2015, 09:30 • #10 
Master Guide
Guys, This is my opinion and mine alone. I think Seele is making some of the best rods on the market period. I have two at the moment and will have another by the end of the month. I'll post some shots of me fighting Reds in the surf. I'll post them when I have them down loaded.

Post 21 May 2015, 12:11 • #11 
I'd Love that ultraman! Now do you guys just contact seele for blanks? I cant find them anywhere on the site.

Post 21 May 2015, 12:17 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Yes just email them.

Bob

Post 22 May 2015, 10:00 • #13 
Guide
Fiberglass is the best material for fighting big fish. Ever see the iconic photo of Bill Schaadt fighting a huge king salmon from a pram on the Smith River?

https://filmbalaya.files.wordpress.com/ ... rivers.jpg

Old Fenwick broom handles. You could put all the butt into fish you wanted. I fished kings on the Eel and Smith back in the '60s using a 9-ft, 10-wt Fenwick and lead-core shooting heads and I think my shoulder is still sore from casting. But fighting a fish? It wasn't even fair.

Post 23 May 2015, 02:29 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I didn't know Fenwick made broom handles.

Post 24 May 2015, 16:42 • #15 
Master Guide
Craig, Sweet photo of Mr. Schaadt in action. I enjoyed reading about his using fiberglass rods for large fish in The Anglers Coast.

I test cast the 886 and the 888 at a show this spring. Both rods were very powerful and felt like serious fish landing instruments. The 886 seemed like it would take a seven weight line very well and is on my radar as an ideal rod for bonefish.

Post 25 May 2015, 23:23 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
not that it's really important in the big scheme of things, but zoom in on the cork on my 866 if you can. i rarely see cork this nice!! it really is impressive!

Grouse, Mike told me he designed the 886 for bonefish and big redfish.

Post 26 May 2015, 11:44 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I would second the cork comment. My 8wt Seele Salzpro has some of the finest cork on any of the rods I own.

Post 26 May 2015, 15:48 • #18 
Master Guide
My cork handle on my 10wt Salz is very nice too.

Post 29 May 2015, 13:04 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
This is very intriguing. Inshore saltwater fishing has been my major preoccupation the last few years. I would love to have a glass rod made for the task.

Post 30 May 2015, 00:18 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
stiles wrote:
...Inshore saltwater fishing has been my major preoccupation the last few years...

i'm hoping that with my sweet new rod, i will follow your fine example and become much more preoccupied with salt! we have a fine searun cutthroat fishery that i haven't really tapped into yet!

Post 31 May 2015, 23:51 • #21 
Just as I say this, Swift Epic is letting slip that they are coming out with a 12wt themselves! I may have to pick up a "Boca Grande" once they come out......ya know....for a big musky rod ;) The flies I tie for those buggers seem to be getting bigger and bigger!

Post 18 Jun 2015, 20:13 • #22 
Master Guide
I received my Seele Rapid 10wt. It is much different rod than the Salz series but in a good way. First, it's power is very progressive. I used it today on surf reds with my Seamaster reel. I hooked a 30 inch Redfish swimming in the shallows. Let's say I landed this fish in a much shorter time than I anticipated. 5 minutes and it was over. Which is what you want. I lost too many reds to sharks on a prolonged fight. This a very powerful rod and fish fighting tool that can cast! A saltwater fly rod at the truest sense.

Ultra

Post 19 Jun 2015, 04:54 • #23 
Administrator
In my experience casting quite a few of the Seele Fly Rods, the heavier line weight fly rods almost seem to get better and more impressive the higher the line weight. A couple of them are absolute cannons paired with the right fly lines.

Post 19 Jun 2015, 07:37 • #24 
Master Guide
I just finished an 886 Rapid from a blank, and it's a cannon. It'll get a workout next week prior to and including the Michi-Glass gathering on big browns during the Hex. Tons of butt strength to keep big fish from diving into wood. Just the rod that I've been looking for !!
Mark.

Post 20 Jun 2015, 03:02 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron wrote:
In my experience casting quite a few of the Seele Fly Rods, the heavier line weight fly rods almost seem to get better and more impressive the higher the line weight. A couple of them are absolute cannons paired with the right fly lines.

Well now you've Really piqued my curiosity! I've only cast my 886 and it seems really powerful. I can't wait to try the 10wt version!!

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply