It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Feb 2014, 21:56 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I got a chance to cast this today at Fins and Feathers in Bozeman so here is a quick review ...

Cosmetics: By now we have all seen pictures of the rod and I thought the color was decent. In person it looks amazing, I absolutely loved it. The grip was slimmer than it looks and I love the old 1980's superfine type cork reel seat. The wraps and finish work was very nice for a factory rod. I thought the attention to detail was way above average from what I normally see.

Casting: The only line the shop had was a WF3 and the rod was a bit quicker than I thought it would be, even when I was just giving it the wiggle test. The new S2 glass has much quicker rate of recovery than I am used to. I thought that the rod would probably have liked a GPX3, a heavier DT3, or maybe even a 4 a little bit better. It was still pleasant to cast and there was very little to no wobble. I thought it was deadly accurate for glass. It loaded reasonably well for as quick as it was and I never bothered to cast it beyond 30' since that would be the max length I would fish a 7' rod at anyway.

Overall: Well worth the buy for us gear addicts. It's reasonably priced and made in the US. Yeah it was quicker than my tastes, but I still would have enjoyed fishing it. Especially on some small streams here in Montana where I can throw larger attractor flies made of foam, which it would handle easily. Can't wait to try the 4 and 5wts.

Dusty

Post 02 Feb 2014, 07:53 • #2 
Guide
I got a chance to cast this rod as a part of Cameron's Rod Loan program.

I concur with everything you said - quicker glass, accurate to 40-ish, nice aesthetics. Not to repeat anything you've said, here are some additional thoughts.

Real fun to cast - probably the best rod out there to make converts out of hardcore graphite users. They'll get an appreciation for slowing down, without the culture shock of some of the rods that fiberglass afficionados relish. As they slow down even more, they'll enjoy glass instead of turning back immediately to graphite. I was one of these people - and if it weren't for the rapid exposure to several glass rods and the patient delivery of "constructive" criticism of some experienced casters, I would be still be stuck on the graphite rods. This rod in particular helped me find a slower cadence and opened the door to me truly appreciating great glass rods (Barclay Glass 7'2" 3wt).

If the reel seat hardware were black, I would have bought this already. Or maybe not because I have been buying up other, less available glass rods ... and I don't want to have to come up with another reason to tell my wife why I needed yet another fly rod ...

I have also read most folks that have gotten to cast all three of the SF Glass rods have said the 7'6" 4wt is the best of the series.

I'll probably wait for the blanks to emerge next year and get one built up (with black reel seat hardware).

Post 02 Feb 2014, 07:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for these reports. As to cosmetics, you gotta figure that if the rods sell well, the series will be refreshed every few years with slightly different fittings/cosmetics.

Post 02 Feb 2014, 08:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
This thread needs a photo-

Post 02 Feb 2014, 08:54 • #5 
Master Guide
Now that's something you don't see every day. Cool.

Great reviews guys. Thanks.

Post 02 Feb 2014, 10:36 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Great review Dusty!

Post 02 Feb 2014, 13:46 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
bbqdsunfish wrote:
if it weren't for the rapid exposure to several glass rods and the patient delivery of "constructive" criticism of some experienced casters, I would be still be stuck on the graphite rods.

What, yelling "SLOW DOWN" isn't constructive?

Post 02 Feb 2014, 13:53 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Great picture with that Pickerel. For those of you want different hardware I would advise calling Orvis. They are usually very accommodating to custom requests.

Dusty

Post 02 Feb 2014, 14:21 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I asked Orvis if they could use reel rings rather than the up screw reel seat.
The answer was no. The diameter of the blank is too big to fit the reel rings.

Post 02 Feb 2014, 15:20 • #10 
Guide
I've got thick skin, but you and Art going off at the same time was a little intimidating :lol

I can't wait for the next one!

carlz wrote:
What, yelling "SLOW DOWN" isn't constructive?

Post 02 Feb 2014, 15:57 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
ibookje wrote:
I asked Orvis if they could use reel rings rather than the up screw reel seat.
The answer was no. The diameter of the blank is too big to fit the reel rings.

It's easy to modify the last 4" of the butt to allow any kind of reel seat and they certainly have the skill to do so, but apparently they don't want to take the time to do it. We'll just have to wait until the blanks are available and do it ourselves :)

Post 02 Feb 2014, 16:06 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I doubt it was 'not wanting to'.
I ordered a custom 7ft #3 rod. The reel rings I wanted was not possible, but they did shorten the grip length (5.5 inch) and a slightly shorter reel seat.

Post 03 Feb 2014, 21:25 • #13 
Master Guide
tiptop wrote:
It's easy to modify the last 4" of the butt to allow any kind of reel seat. ..

Any tips or links on how to do this properly? I am in the process of building a rod right now that I want to have duel rings over a cork seat but I am running into the same problem with the large blank diameter.

Post 03 Feb 2014, 21:49 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Swamptrout -- this thread has what you are looking for -- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41499&hilit=butt+extension

Post 04 Feb 2014, 06:06 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I don't get it about the blank being unable to accommodate a slide-band seat. The butt is certainly not larger OD than. 5", and even bigger than that would not prevent using slide bands. Not knocking Orvis at all; their components may have required more boring and shaping than they would want to mess with unless for a full-blown custom job. Assemble the reel seat bored for the rod (or for a cork barrel, glue and shape on the rod) and slide bands would be easy enough.

Orvis has made a good selection of classic components, no surprise. They will probably revise the cosmetics periodically. The pricing and availability of components varies on the wholesale market anyhow, so sometimes this alone brings about a change.

In the meantime, for anybody who wants the rod bad enough, it is easy enough to modify the grip or reel seat, though personally I don't see much reason to.

Post 17 Feb 2014, 11:18 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
My two cents. I recently had the new Orvis fiberglass 7' 2/2 3wt. in my hands at Fin & Feathers Orvis FF Shop here in Bozeman, Mt. The rod blank was faster than anticipated which I liked. The unsanded surface was fine too. But I really didn't care for the reel seat components. They felt like cheap aluminum to me. That alone turned me off to the rod. I'll stick with my original Golden Eagles.
Mark

Post 17 Feb 2014, 11:51 • #17 
Master Guide
I wish most rods used aluminum fittings. They are practical, light, sturdy. I do not like the glitz of Nickle Silver or chrome on most rods.

Post 17 Feb 2014, 16:44 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I would guess that the reel seat is simply a function of production economy. It is basically the same aluminum up-lock hardware that that they use on some of their graphite rods except (fortunately) not gold and ventilated. There have to be some trade offs to achieve the relatively low price.

Here is a shot of the seat on the first prototype:

Post 17 Feb 2014, 17:14 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Well good and thanks for explaining that. If you are the man that panned the ventilated seat, bravo. What exactly the point of a ventilated seat is, I can't even guess. There is no heat in there, and nothing that needs drying. There are threads that would be better off not fouled with grit, which is what might get ventilated in there. They look goofy, too, although I would admit that someone probably likes them and if I ever get a rod with them, I won't be looking at them anyhow.

The Orvis 'glass has good traditional fittings and is well done. Personally, I would prefer a downlooking reel seat, but most don't anymore, so Orvis made the right choice that way. Fiberglass is new enough to most folks, no sense to mix them up too much. Now if they could get their models to stop casting like they were using a graphite rod, those things would really look superfine.

Thanks for the additional comments below, Duff. Bravo again. Yeah, that skeletonized aerospace look appears as a weigh saver. The same weight reduction, in so far as it is significant at all, could be accomplished with a thinner pocketed hood and a narrower locking ring. Or just about what they wound up with after some good feedback.

Post 17 Feb 2014, 20:17 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Whrlpool, I would imagine that the thinking behind the ventilated hardware was to lighten up the rod much in the same way as fly reels and bicycle components are lightened by drilling. Remember that this seat was designed for the graphite Superfine rods and lightness sells. Yes, absolutely I recommended that they lose the gold anodized ventilated seat and in fact suggested they go to down-locking in the tradition of the original Golden Eagles. The back story on this is that at Cameron's suggestion, Shawn Combs at Orvis shipped me an early prototype 7'6" #4 to get some feedback on how it cast and what cosmetics might be best. I made a list of suggestions that including changing the reel seat hardware. Basically I told them to make it as close as possible to the cosmetics of the original Golden Eagles which, because of the color, must have been their inspiration. I took the rod, badly disguised with black electrical tape to cover up the Orvis logos on the blank and insert, to Mike McFarland's Coburn, PA gathering. It frankly didn't take long for folks to know what it was. A bunch of us cast it in the street in front of The Feathered Hook Fly Shop and B&B and I took some notes on their reactions. Some thought it was too fast but I have to say that I liked it a lot. I haven't cast a new one yet but I know that Orvis tweaked it a bit before final production.

Post 18 Feb 2014, 05:40 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I am getting mixed reads on these rods. The guys that I have corresponded with that cast and fished the 5wt described it as have a very soft tip. I had the Loaner on the way but then passed on it thinking the rod would be too soft for my liking. Now I read that the 3wt and 4wt are "fast"? Fast compared to what?

Post 18 Feb 2014, 08:56 • #22 
Sport
I wouldn't call the tip on the 5wt soft. It is not like the Scott F2 5wt, which I would only use for fishing with dry flies. I fished the 5wt this past weekend and found it will handle reasonably weighted flies with no problem.

I purchased the three rods in the series and have spent a few hours fishing each over the last 30 days, I would not classify them as "fast".

The rods are a great deal at $395.00. They have been added to the "never sell" list.

Post 18 Feb 2014, 09:05 • #23 
Guide
Do not miss the chance to purchase the Orivs glass rod. I have the 7 1/2' , 4wt and it is fast becoming my mostest favoritest bestest trout rod ever.

New Topic Add Reply