It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:23

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Dec 2013, 19:36 • #1 
Guide
7 1/2', 4wt. I was using a WF4F Rio Gold line.

This rod is something. I really do NOT know any other way to put it,,but that this Orvis glass rod seems to be psychic. You make a move and it's like you extended your arm, and dropped the fly from between your thumb and finger. The rod moves lite, hardly noticeable that you have it in your hand. The flex is deep but def not noodle..it has discipline. I laid a couple poker cards in the grass and after a few cast could hit them,,or right at them,,,40 ft easy. Roll cast like you just say 'over there,now over here,,,now go here',,and it just does it. It's easily as sensitive and performs as good as my graphite Superfine. The big feature is that it will load with just a foot or so of line off the tip. A trout stalkers dream.

Not a very technical description ,but it's how I feel about this rod.

Trout prophets surely have spoken to their trout tribes about the coming of this rod.

Mike

Post 25 Dec 2013, 20:49 • #2 
Administrator
Mike ... I've spent the most time with the 7'6" four weight and agree that it's something special.

Post 25 Dec 2013, 21:12 • #3 
Guide
Cameron, if this is typical of new glass ... I've been missing out big time! Might just be a devote convert here!

Mike

Post 26 Dec 2013, 01:42 • #4 
Guide
Fly guy, nice report. I am planning to buy a glass superfine touch once the weather permits outdoor casting and I can try out the line up. I was leaning to the 8' 5wgt, but from your comments and Cameron's the 71/2 4 wgt warrants consideration.

So guys, keep those Orvis glass reviews coming! I don't anticipate buying before the weather warms up, unless a deal I can't refuse turns up. Hopefully, I can give the rods a work out at the Marlboro, MA fly show indoor casting pool. :) Neil

Post 26 Dec 2013, 06:00 • #5 
Master Guide
I still haven't seen the glass line on the Orvis web site. How does one go about purchasing one? Can one order through a local Orvis dealer?

Post 26 Dec 2013, 15:38 • #6 
Guide
Mad River outfitters has the new Orvis glass on their website for ordering. They describe the blank as S2 Moss Green. I contacted Mad River about the glass and was told it was S2 S Glass. Looking better to me already. All my other glass rods are "e glass" - Neil

Post 26 Dec 2013, 23:08 • #7 
Administrator
cyangler wrote:
I still haven't seen the glass line on the Orvis web site. How does one go about purchasing one? Can one order through a local Orvis dealer?

They should be showing up in Orvis shops if they haven't already. I am kind of surprised they aren't up on the Orvis website yet but likely they are fulfilling shop order first.

Post 27 Dec 2013, 15:20 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I saw them at the Bears Den Fly Shop in MA today so they are hitting the stores. They must have just arrived as they had not shown up on their website yet.

Post 27 Dec 2013, 16:44 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Teasing a product on to the market--whether by plan, as a result of small production, or even as a necessity of initial problems in production or distribution--works well in the end for quality producers. I would guess that Orvis has the introduction in very good order. Ruger was a master of it, even when new products did have teething problems.

Post 27 Dec 2013, 17:19 • #10 
just called my local Orvis (madison wi) and they don't have any in stock, they were told they'd get them sometime after the 1st of the year.

Post 27 Dec 2013, 17:22 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
That 7'6" sounds sweet.

Last weekend I took my two nieces who were visiting from Virginia, to see the sights in NYC. We hit the typical touristy spots ... Macy's, Herald Square, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, Times Square. Walking back to Grand Central Station to get the train home, we took a detour, to the Orvis store on 44th St. I was pumped, thinking that I'd get to play with the new Orvis glass, only to find that they had not arrived. The sales clerk said not until January some time. Bummer!

I've heard that Orvis plans to sell these blanks, and that one is on my list. Has anyone heard any news on when they'll be available?

Post 27 Dec 2013, 18:29 • #12 
Sport
They just showed up on the Orvis website today. Check out the "New Fly Fishing Gear" page, they're half way down the page. It shows them as not being available until Feb. 7th. The 2 Orvis stores within 100 miles of me don't expect them until late Jan.

Post 27 Dec 2013, 20:48 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Can't wait to try them out.

Post 29 Dec 2013, 15:49 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I just left the Milwaukee Orvis store. They had the 7'6" 4wt on display and rigged up for casting. I didn't take it outside but got a chance to play with it in the store. It will load with just a 9' leader. Very smooth and not too slow. I really liked it. The hardware is comparable (or maybe slightly better) than the original Winston GVX. I think this is going be a popular rod.

Incidentally, they also pointed out that the new Abel-built CFO is now for sale on their website.

Post 30 Dec 2013, 09:12 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
The price is awesome on the finished rods. It's just a little more than we pay for some blanks!

Post 01 Jan 2014, 22:17 • #16 
Guide
I haven't gotten a chance to cast mine since the one evening in the back yard..been busy'er than a three legged cat covering poop. But hopefully very soon I can give somewhat of an actual stream test idea on how she' performs. But ,,so far, I can see me absolutely loving this rod. Mine is the 7 1/2, 4wt,,it a standard Rio wf4f line. There might be some tweeting later with that,,but we'll see.

Mike

Last edited by fly_guy12955 on 01 Jan 2014, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Jan 2014, 23:01 • #17 
Master Guide
jeffsod wrote:
I saw them at the Bears Den Fly Shop in MA today so they are hitting the stores. They must have just arrived as they had not shown up on their website yet.

Thanks Jeff. I know exactly where the Den is. Whoo-Eee!

Post 02 Jan 2014, 00:01 • #18 
Master Guide
Has no one else received the latest catalog? They are offered there.

Post 02 Jan 2014, 23:07 • #19 
Master Guide
I just received the fly fishing catalog today and was thrilled to see that they were in there.

AND, that at the top of the page - IN BOLD TYPE - they quote Cameron (The Fiberglass Manifesto).

Post 05 Jan 2014, 00:03 • #20 
Guide
Got to cast the 7'6" 4wt today at the show in Denver. I was surprised that I only found one ... Anyways, very nice rod, kinda reminds me of how an L. Kenney is appointed just not as nicely. It's a very nice rod all in all especially at the price point everyone is talking about. I found it a tad too fast for my taste and was shocked that it had so much backbone. Was not expecting that. My graphite fishing friend was very delighted with it and remarked how he could fish any style with this type of glass. That was enough for me to realize, it wasn't my bag of muffins. All in all though, aesthetically a big hit and a fine casting tool none-the-less. We tested rod flex on a hook up and it certainly is glass. A great rod for anyone but I think it is a better rod for those looking to transition from fast action into comfortable glass. Those of us who like whimsical flexing sticks ... well, I gotta try the other two tapers I guess.

Post 05 Jan 2014, 06:46 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Nativetrout, Great point about the Carbon lover liking it. I think I'm with you. If he likes it I probably wouldn't. Great Litmus test there. I've handed what I consider wonderful casting and fishing rods to friends that love carbon and they just poo poo them. Then again I do that with most ( a few are nice and that kept me from saying all) carbon rods and most cane. To each their own, as they say.
RFMcD

Post 05 Jan 2014, 12:00 • #22 
Master Guide
Like others have mentioned in posts about the Orvis Superfine Glass, I'd be more excited about the offerings if they would have chosen different reel seats and grips.

On a side note, I am kind of disappointed that Orvis didn't stray a little from the same cookie cutter lengths for each line weight. If there were lots of R&D, it seems that they might have come across some slightly different lengths as being the true sweet spots for each line weight, for their specific material construction. Just wondering out loud.

I like Orvis, and am not bashing them at all. These are still really nice looking rods, and I'd still like to cast them, even though I'm not in the market for any rods in these configurations.

Sorry to stray from the original post, Mike. Hope you have a great time fishing your new rod!

Post 19 Jan 2014, 05:27 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
I received my 7ft #3 Orvis Glass rod today.
Did a quick test cast outside.

The finish is quite good. Functional and typical of Orvis as I know. The pea color blank reminds us of the Golden Eagle glass rods (blanks by the way made by now defunct Phillipson rod company) Orvis sold during the 1970's. The blank is quite thick at the grip. The shorter grip and the slightly shorter up lock reel seat keeps the proportions nicely compact.

The rod casts very smooth (I strung up a reel with a Sage Quiet DT #3 line) as could be expected of a fiber glass rod. It has a lot more back bone than I thought it would have. It's really nice to feel a rod that doesn't 'invite' to cast 80+ feet like most graphite rods today. Forcing the rod does make the tip jump a bit. I'll try a few other #3 weight lines the next few days to see what happens.

7ft for a #3 is a very nice rod for small creeks and streams. Just what I intend to use the rod for.
$395 is a very nice price for a well made rod from the USA.

Post 24 Jan 2014, 15:54 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I had the opportunity to check them all out today in the HOPES that the 7' 3wt would satisfy my desire for the "right" medium action 7' 3wt.

I guess the first comments by fly_guy12955 that the rod performed well with a Rio Gold should have tipped me off the action was a tad faster than what I prefer.

While the fit & finish was nice, I was unpleasantly disappointed that they are considerably faster than what I expected. The 7' 3wt felt more like a 4wt to me than a 3wt. I passed on trying the other two rods.

However ... the new CFO is sweet and I snagged the III. ;)

I think the quicker rod crowd will love them, especially a USA built rod at the $395 price point but I like my glass a tad slower.

Post 27 Jan 2014, 21:54 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Went into my local Orvis to see if they had the superfine. Apparently, the one or two models they had, sold out the instant it hit the shelf. Spoke with a nice guy there who gave the obligatory marketing lines regarding fiberglass and how they were not the fiberglass of old. I was somewhat impressed he knew about Cameron and the fiberglass manifesto but then again unaware of our fiberglass forum and older fiberglass like the Orvis golden eagles.

If anything I learned he was into the golden bonefish and leads a group to go after them later in the season. Well worth the visit after all.

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply