It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:31

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Glass/Boo
Post 24 Oct 2013, 16:33 • #26 
Guide
No its not the casting at all, it is the pressure on the cork during the fight. I have tried both hands and the replacement knuckles are not as good as they were before the osteo set in, but better than nothing.

Post 24 Oct 2013, 17:46 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Okay. Thanks. I am seeing a picture of a remedy in my head from a forum some years ago but can't get it to come clear.

Post 24 Oct 2013, 21:48 • #28 
Master Guide
I wonder if a foam grip would help. Make a trip to walmart and check out the heavy rods with the black foam grips. For a few bucks you could get one and fish it for a while and see if it may help. You could have someone build you a rod with the foam and even replace the cork on the rods you have ... We will find a way to keep you fishing!

Post 25 Oct 2013, 07:03 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Get a rod outfitted with a fighting butt?

Post 25 Oct 2013, 07:51 • #30 
Guide
that is what I was thinking also , maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches to take the strain off the hand,
BUT I CREDIT YOU for the idea, and it may work well, tats what they are for correct, leverage.

Post 25 Oct 2013, 08:17 • #31 
Piscator
simple suggestion again, how about switching hands and reel wind direction?
Can you reel with the sore hand?

Post 25 Oct 2013, 08:25 • #32 
Guide
both hands are bad, I will try to alternate. the index finger knuckles are the ones that have been replaced , the middle finger knuckle on the casting hand is next. I will try your suggestion. hopefully the wind will lay down and I can get out after work this evening to try this one out.

Post 25 Oct 2013, 08:57 • #33 
Piscator
muscle memory can be a real factor here, though.
I personally can't switch hands and wind near as fast as with my usual hand.

Post 25 Oct 2013, 09:50 • #34 
Guide
Sport,

An oversize foam/EVA grip might be something that would help. I'd like to work with you on this if you don't mind. I've also seen a fairly radical design with a Z shaped grip that would hold your hand in a more neutral position and put a fighting butt section under your forearm during a fish fight. This might relieve some pressure from your finger joints. I'll have to think on this some more as it was originally designed for a casting rod with the reel on top of the rod.

Send me an email or a PM and maybe we can work something out.

'Cator
(Terry's Custom Rods)

Post 25 Oct 2013, 13:03 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
keep thinking about a sling of some kind but can't get clear on how it would work for gripping

Terry will do you right.

Post 25 Oct 2013, 21:30 • #36 
Master Guide
piscator54, How about a foam grip with a trigger/ not a pistol grip but a straight grip with a trigger also with a fighting but.

Post 25 Oct 2013, 22:35 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
piscator54 wrote:
Sport,

An oversize foam/EVA grip might be something that would help. I'd like to work with you on this if you don't mind. I've also seen a fairly radical design with a Z shaped grip that would hold your hand in a more neutral position and put a fighting butt section under your forearm during a fish fight. This might relieve some pressure from your finger joints. I'll have to think on this some more as it was originally designed for a casting rod with the reel on top of the rod.

This is one that came to my mind.

The cobra handle (which I haven't seen in catalogues recently):
http://www.stripersonline.com/t/414239/. .. nky-handle

and the zspey handle came to mind, but I don't think it helps in this case:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41447&p=150387&hilit=switch#p150387

I think a bent handle would help fighting fish, but I'm wondering how it would work for casting. There's only one way to tell.

Carl

Post 26 Oct 2013, 06:29 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Would having both hands in use to hold the rod--but still a conventional trout rod as opposed to longer/heavier two hander--help? If so, and if you don't expect fish to run out much more than the length of a fly line and a few yards backing, then an automatic fly reel would enable you to use both hands at the same time while landing fish. If weight is also pain-inducing, though, they are several ounces heavier than a conventional reel. But they are a riot to fish with.

Post 26 Oct 2013, 07:47 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
You might want to look into tenkara: extremely light rod which is normally used one handed but I don't see why you couldn't develop a two handed style out of necessity. No reel, extremely good line control. Drawbacks: not so good on big water or very big fish, not fiberglass :)

Post 26 Oct 2013, 09:02 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Rockthief wrote:
Keep thinking about a sling of some kind but can't get clear on how it would work for gripping.

It is topics like this that rekindle your faith in people with the offers from Shane and Terry, and all the constructive suggestions including thinking outside the box to help a fellow member with a disability to be able to continue to fish.

I think the EVA / foam grip, butt extension, and grip diameter are tracking in the right direction to help. In addition, along the lines of what Rocktheif posted, and taking a cue from offshore fighting harnesses, a neck strap / lanyard with a quick clip that is snapped onto a ring at the top of the grip when fighting and playing a fish would provide relief by taking the load and pressure off the hand holding the rod.

Andrew.

Post 26 Oct 2013, 17:29 • #41 
Master Guide
Thinking about this issue for a while. You may also have someone outfit your reels with big soft reel paddles like on some spinning and baitcasting gear

Post 27 Oct 2013, 09:21 • #42 
Guide
I can envision gripping the middle of the Z, with the reel mounted at the end of the Z, with a proper angle to the stripping guide. It would limit the backcast arc some but definitely worth experimenting with. The oversize EVA foam grip would be easier and maybe a place to start?

shoot me a note and we can work out a prototype.

'Cator
(Terry's Custom Rods)

Post 28 Oct 2013, 12:09 • #43 
Guide
a fighting butt will work, 1 incher possibly, i was able to harrass the locals lastnight and used the butt dug into my hip pack, the was a noticeable relief in the pressure. thank you all for your input!

Post 28 Oct 2013, 14:38 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
If weight was a problem I would be fishing graphite.

As to Boo or Glass I've enjoyed fishing them both. I had nice collection of bamboo at one point and when a buddy bought a fly shop and started to sell me rods at half price in exchange for picking him up antique tackle I sold all my bamboo. Then I started enjoying my fishing less, seemed like with the synthetic rods I just fished to fast and didn't enjoy my surroundings as much (think maybe I didn't care as much one way or the other if one broke with the warranties and all)

I also remember that with boo if I wasn't catching fish I didn't mind as much when I looked at the rod and thought dam that thing is pretty. Never thought that with glass or graphitee except for possibly one little Hardy 7 1/2' Glass I had in early 2000's. So I replaced my boo. I still have bunch old glass, but there are only so many days fishing and for me given the choice most will be with my Orvis Bamboo.

Should state that I've never had the chance to try some of the new glass which may be wonderful in lighter weights.

Barry

Post 28 Oct 2013, 16:43 • #45 
Master Guide
You might try adjusting your fish fighting technique, Specifically the angle of the rod to the fish and fight the fish mostly with your line hand.

Putting a deep bend in the rod with the rod butt at right angles or more to the fish puts a lot of strain on your rod hand, and the longer the rod the greater the strain.

By the way, this is a common fault of a lot of anglers when fighting fish and often encouraged by words of praise about how satisfying it is to have a fish put a deep bend in the rod.

You need some bend but limit it to the tip section whenever possible and only enough to protect the tippet from a quick surge.

By the way, if you want to move a fish heading for a rock or log, it's far better to lower the angle to almost zero and then turn/slow or stop him by taking in line. You can put 2-5 times more pressure on him that way then holding the rod at a high angle.

Jim

Post 28 Oct 2013, 23:00 • #46 
Master Guide
Regarding your question about boo. ...

My experience is that most boo rods are heavier than similar purpose/size newer glass rods. ... just saying in case you want to consider that.

Post 29 Oct 2013, 07:42 • #47 
Guide

You might try adjusting your fish fighting technique, Specifically the angle of the rod to the fish and fight the fish mostly with your line hand.

Putting a deep bend in the rod with the rod butt at right angles or more to the fish puts a lot of strain on your rod hand, and the longer the rod the greater the strain.

By the way, this is a common fault of a lot of anglers when fighting fish and often encouraged by words of praise about how satisfying it is to have a fish put a deep bend in the rod.

You need some bend but limit it to the tip section whenever possible and only enough to protect the tippet from a quick surge.

By the way, if you want to move a fish heading for a rock or log, it's far better to lower the angle to almost zero and then turn/slow or stop him by taking in line. You can put 2-5 times more pressure on him that way then holding the rod at a high angle.

Jim
you are totally correct sir,
Never a vertical bend in the rod, always side pressure, people would be surprised how quickly you can bring a fish to the net. down and dirty. fishing with the vertical position attracts people to your location anyway. best not to advertise.

Post 05 Nov 2013, 11:24 • #48 
Sport
Painful hands?
Mine was caused by driving 1200 miles per week on the road in sales.
Fix?
Turn up the air temp. Or shut off the dashboard air flow.
Years of cool/cold air on to the steering wheel, too simple?
This has worked for me.

Post 24 Nov 2013, 17:43 • #49 
I fish both glass and bamboo, finding each a joy to fish with. I would encourage you to broaden your experience—to the extent your hands allow. Life's too short not to at least try fishing with a good bamboo rod.

Post 25 Nov 2013, 12:28 • #50 
Guide
IMO if you have already started thinking about bamboo, you'll be missing out if you don't try it.
Reading your post about what is the most challenging part of the fishing for your hands I had some thoughts;
A fighting butt for leverage and a prusik cord attached to the vest that can quickly clip on to or loop around the top of the grip. Should transfer the heavy strain off the fingers to the body, kind of mimicking big game rigs.
Another idea, maybe better, that came to mind is modifying or making a wrist support of similar kind as weight lifters use in training when doing deadlifts, should take the strain off fingers and transfer it to the lower arm and wrist. I'm thinking of the kind with a velcro bracelet with a metal "hook" that support the bar, you just use it as support around the cork grip instead. Metal may be too tough on the rods but you should be able to get a similar bit of shaped sturdy plastic done.

I'm sure you'll work it out. Problems only exist to be overcome by passionate people like yourself.

/Mike

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply