It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:02

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
8/9wt fly rod help
Post 03 Jul 2013, 21:00 • #1 
Master Guide
Just starting to think about an upcoming fishing trip next Spring. It will be used for Salmon in New Brunswick, Canada. Look forward to hearing some thoughts. Feel free to email me with graphite options also :eek

I will also use the fly rod for Saltwater fishing a few times a year here in Rhode Island.

I should think about reels too. ;)

Thanks in advance for any info you have,

Russ

Re: 8/9wt fly rod help
Post 04 Jul 2013, 08:16 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
There are many graphite rods(old and new) that would be excellent for both of those styles of fishing. I recently rediscovered the old SAGE RPLX 8wt, which is downright "soft" compared to many of the 2013 models. It is very comfortable to cast from the beach. If I was a steelheader, I would fish it for that application as well. I also like the Z Axis. I strung an 8wt up thinking that is was going to be a broomstick. To the contrary. Again, very pleasant rod to cast. I have been very disappointed with many of the Scott heavy line rods that I have cast ie S3, S3S, S4.

Post 04 Jul 2013, 08:51 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Swift make the EPIC 990 blanks. 9ft 9wt 4 piece uni s-glass. There have been some reviews online of these.

Post 04 Jul 2013, 11:23 • #4 
Sport
I have both glass and graphite 9' 9wts. The graphite rod is nothing special, built up on a Sevier blank. The glass is built up on an old Fisher blank. In general I prefer the Fisher and use it every now and then to chuck really big flies at stripers down on the Colorado. But, if I were going to be fishing all day or for a bunch of days, I'd use the graphite just because of the weight.

Post 04 Jul 2013, 11:36 • #5 
Sport
BTW if you are seriously considering glass I do have 9/9 brown Fibatube blank (usually attributed to Fisher) that I'd sell and you could either build or have one of the fine builders on the forum build.

Post 04 Jul 2013, 12:23 • #6 
Administrator
Pick up an inexpensive 8/9 glass rod and fish it this summer. Make sure you try it on windy days to see if you can handle it - or if it handles you. If big glass works for you, then decide what you need for New Brunswick. Also, give your New Brunswick contact a call and ask what kind of casting/line weights will work best during your trip. Single hand rods won't help as much if conditions call for two handed casting.

A nice four piece, like Shane mentioned, is easier to bring on the plane with you. There are more glass big rig options today than have been on the market in decades. Contracting a custom build on a classic Fisher/Steffen/Epic/Fenwick/Fibatube blank is a good option too, if big glass works for you. Seriously, make sure it works before you lay out the money.

The easiest way to try big glass is a Fenwick FF858 or FF909. These can be found on eBay for $40-75 if you don't want a minty one. If you like it, keep it. If not, it is easy to resell for about what you paid. The FF858 can handle 8/9 lines and the FF909 can handle 9/10s. Both rods are fine for saltwater, provided you care for your tackle. The FF909 originally came with a short, detachable extension butt. These are often missing from used rods, so watch for a complete set.

Tom

Post 04 Jul 2013, 12:31 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Scientific Anglers system 8 rod that I am selling (Fisher Blank).

But be warned, the reason I am selling it is that I am moving to graphite for my 8wt and above rods for the reason NevadaK2 mentions. Graphite is lighter.

Glass is good for chucking big heavy flies. It protects the leader (the heavy flies don't bounce at the end of a backcast) and for someone in better shape, (or for less time on the water) it probably isn't an issue.

Carl

Post 04 Jul 2013, 12:55 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I fish both and have no problem with the weight of the glass rods in an all day fishing trip. I find people have weight issues with glass when they spend most of their time false casting to "flying fish". An efficient and minimal use of false casting is the key to enjoying glass rods in heavier line weights. I use water loading techniques into a back cast w/haul and a forward cast w/haul, into a fly delivery. I use this style with all WF and shooting heads I have. I have used this approach on stream and in the surf with no issues.
All this said graphite is still lighter and there is no argument with this fact. I do like to use my graphite, over glass, when high wind is a factor, especially in the surf. All this said, it is the individual angler's choice that matters. Pick the "right" tools for your fishing and learn how to use them correctly.
Respectfully rvreclus

Sorry, I edited out my rod/blank choices. I have found nor cast any thing better than the Winston and/or Fisher glass rods. If you can find any of these it would be a great choice. Fenwicks are very good option, but I don't think they are the equal of the Winston/Fisher Family. On the subject of new glass I don't have any in these weights so I can't comment.

Last edited by rvreclus on 04 Jul 2013, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

8/9wt fly rod help
Post 04 Jul 2013, 13:23 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I just finished this rod. It's a 8'6", 8/9wt Steffen rod. Light and crisp taper, very well balanced. I was surprised how light it actually was after completion. I will give you more feedback next week, after I have fished it hard.

Christian

Post 04 Jul 2013, 13:35 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Christian,
I hope the Carp and Smallmouth really give that rod a workout.

I look forward to hearing about the trip.

Carl

Post 04 Jul 2013, 13:38 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Christian, I was also going to recommend a Steffen blank too. I hope to have one built for salmon season this year. Nice looking rod.

Last edited by Shane on 05 Jul 2013, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Jul 2013, 15:27 • #12 
Master Guide
Christian, fine looking build and an interesting 'blank as spacer' approach on the reelseat

Post 04 Jul 2013, 16:59 • #13 
Sport
Russ,

Rvreclus has a point about casting. Where I striper fish I have to cast as far as I can reach and then strip all the way back. It takes a couple false casts for me to get it back out, so I'm doing a lot of casting.

Post 04 Jul 2013, 22:41 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Christian, I am also looking forward to your report on the Steffen 8' 6" - 8/9 wt. after you "have fished it hard". As always from you, a beautiful build. Based on Cameron's experience with the Steffen 8' 6" - 8/9 wt., I have been looking at it for my saltwater (Texas gulf coast) glass rod.

Andrew.

Post 05 Jul 2013, 07:10 • #15 
Sport
I also fish out of Houston with Saltwater Fly fishing 2/3 of our efforts. Here 8wt is the 5wt of trout fishing.

If one is wading and/or doing lots of blind casting as much I as love "glass" new light graphites are hard to argue against. My oldest son just picked up the modestly priced TFO Mangrove 8wt which has backed off the current "faster is better" fad sweeping so many makers. This rod is med fast which is great for long hours of blind casting. For us calm days are 10-15mph at first light then picking up into the 20's.

For these kind of conditions sparsely tied flies are a great choice. Clousers are ok but tend to make for poor casting form. One issue with Clousers never mentioned is in a poor cast where the heavy Clouser hits the rod. This is a disaster to the life of the rod, like a BB hitting the rod. I don't use many Clouser, lead headed flies for this very reason.

For glass my 2 favorites (all of mine are older) are the Orvis FullFlex 8.5' 8wt and my new/used Scientific Anglers 8wt both 70's vintage. Both can run with the 'carbon" rods for distance/control.

Reels for both either the Orvis Madison #8 (improved Medalist) or Pfleuger Medalist 1495 with P-Foot up grade parts. Lines aggressive Salt Water Tapers or the "Clouser" tapers for help with the ever present winds. 30# backing, Dacron not Braid/Gel Spun. Gel Spun knots and diameter have problems.

Almost all of the glass rods have reel seats and guide that will corrode quickly if not cared for. I love CorrosionX. I carry a spray bottle of 1/3 windshield wiper fluid and 2/3 water. I disassemble the reel of the rod, spools out of the reel. Then guides, reel seat, reel frame, spool all get light but wet coating. Then home very light water rinse. afterwards a cloth moist with CorrosionX to all metal surfaces.

Post 05 Jul 2013, 09:27 • #16 
Master Guide
Not to cause problems and sence you said graphite. Have you thought of a two handed rod? Not sure how you want to fish, but depending on what line size, Shane makes a switch rod that you can use two handed and there are a lot of switch and spey rods out there. I have been lucky enough to get a 9'6' 4/5wt and 11' 6/7wt two handed fiberglass rods. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Post 05 Jul 2013, 09:31 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Christian, beautiful as always - just amazing every rod you build!

I fish saltwater around Boston/Cape Cod for stripers a lot. When it's blind casting all day I have to say my go to is an 8 weight I built of a CTS graphite blank - lights and sweet. And winds tend to be strong a lot, so a big, heavy glass rod would seem sub-optimal for that kind of work. When I sight cast to stripers, casts are often long and wind is high, so again reach for the graphite.

I use the same rod a lot when we vacation on the west coast of Florida with the family, but when the fishing there is sight fishing for snook in the wash (nice sunny days, "clean" water for visibility), then long (and multiple) casts are unnecessary, so I've been thinking that an 8 weight fiberglass rod would be perfect for that. But first I have to finish my 8'6" 5/6 Steffen before I can even think about building an 8/9. ...

Post 05 Jul 2013, 14:39 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Most Graphite rods make my arms ache, just too much impact, length of lever, less shock absorbstion, or something. I can fish glass all day bass/pike honkin big flies 8/9/10wts, good glass just casts itself. YMMV
For my big glass stuff, those old 9ft wt Fenwicks as was mentioned are hard to beat and they can be had on the cheap. Toms advice right on, get one, fish it, find out. I've got a 10wt Fisher (is it 9 or ten?) that is too stiff and graphite like for my tastes, but if you like stiffer it is a cannon. It seldom gets wet.
I do have an old Cortland Esprite Graphite 8wt, this thing is first generation, full of bling, it is beautiful. Anytime I need a smile on my face I pull it out, string an 8wt on it and take it out on the grass, what a joy to cast, nice deep flex, and like a good glass rod, it casts itself.

Post 05 Jul 2013, 16:25 • #19 
Master Guide
WOW, thanks to all of you for the suggestions so far! I have noticed on the big auction site that 8/9wt rods can be had for a GREAT price. I was told originally to be prepared with 8/9wt lines with 100 to 200 yards of backing on the reel :P No mention of two handed rods but will find out!

I do not need to worry about Plane travel as its only an 9 hour drive with an overnight in Maine.

Most all of my saltwater fishing here in Rhode Island has been on charter boats or friends with boats and usually I use what equipment they provide. The big Fenwick's may be an option for me so as to not worry about corrosion and price especially only using it a few times a year.

How are the Orvis Zero G's with the saltwater reel seats?

Oh and Happy 4th of July weekend to everyone!

Post 05 Jul 2013, 18:26 • #20 
Master Guide
I fish landlocked stripers in heavy river currents (hydro dam releases up to 20,000CFS) with a Fenwick 858 and have No problems handling fish in the 8-20# range with this rod using Berkley Vanish 14# for tippet. Most fish 20" or better will turn into the current and put me into the backing every time. It is then a matter of steering them out of the current, and into the slack water where I can pump them hard and turn their heads should they try back for the current. The rod really shines when it is time to show 'em the Butt!

Post 05 Jul 2013, 23:31 • #21 
Administrator
If you are going to stick with glass then I'd look at the following two ...

Steffen 8', 8'3", or 8'9" 8/9 weight.

Swift Epic 990

Not a lot else out there in new glass that is that heavy in line weight.

Post 06 Jul 2013, 03:33 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
This topic has been very well covered--right to rvreclus excellent suggestions on casting. One other with the big rods is to be selective in casting. Study the water carefully and make a few well placed casts. I think the "choice" is pretty simple for someone sampling this kind of fishing. Get one of the suggested 'glass rods in eight weight at 8 1/2' (or the SA System 8, which is also less than 9'). These are usually more comfortable than 'glass in 9' where the field narrows a bit as to ideal choices. In addition, get any old 9 for 9 graphite in the "entry" level price class, anything from $50 to $150. They all work. Then all you need is one large capacity reel and two spools. Depending on the fishing described by your host, you might want a sinking tip on one of the two.

Post 06 Jul 2013, 06:49 • #23 
Master Guide
Another vote for a Steffen 8/9. I made myself one last year and caught numerous GL salmon in excess of 20 lbs on it. Not only is it a great big fish rod it's a outstanding rod for casting distance.

Post 01 Oct 2017, 08:43 • #24 
Sport
Sorry, but today i not see 8/9 WT lines from Steffen http://steffenbrothersflyrods.com
May be need orders ?

Post 02 Oct 2017, 20:48 • #25 
Master Guide
I haven't seen Echo's BAG mentioned yet, so I'm recommending it. I love my 10wt. They are coming out with shorter lengths at some point, too, if the 9' length is bothersome.

Edit: Just checked Echo's site and the shorter rods are already listed.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply