It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:47

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Why Fiberglass
Post 14 Feb 2017, 09:42 • #26 
Master Guide
Quote:
Why fiberglass?

Because I can concentrate on fishing, not on making the rod to work right. When I fish with my favorite glass rods, I don't even think about the stroke or timing, it just happens right ....

Post 14 Feb 2017, 10:52 • #27 
Piscator
ok, but it's nice to plan ahead

Post 14 Feb 2017, 15:41 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Nice rod Ron!

Post 14 Feb 2017, 17:13 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
man, a bunch of "blasts from the past" posts being dredged up lately it seems like.

I suppose a better question is, "why NOT fiberglass?"

I like it because it feels good, it feels fun, it feels fantastic, it feels bendy....and I like the feel of fiberglass with a fish on too.

Post 14 Feb 2017, 17:32 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Good to see old threads to see what has and usually has not changed over time.

Post 14 Feb 2017, 18:31 • #31 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
It's a 4-pc rod with two handles. All four pieces makes an 8'10" 5-wt progressive taper.
The extra handle with the tip and mid makes a 3-pc. 6'9" parabolic 6-wt.
Interesting, both rod configurations will shoot about the same length of line, telling how important the mid of a rod is for doing that job.

It also goes to show how small the impact of an extra couple of feet in rod length make to distance casting. It's why I laugh at people who agonise over the choice between a 9' rod and an 8'6" rod due to the perceived loss of casting distance they'll incur. Give me a good rod* that's 8' or less and I'll be happy ....

Cheers,
Graeme

* ... in any material.

Post 15 Feb 2017, 08:12 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog is that the six foot six model? I picked one up last spring. What a surprising little pocket rocket that thing is :)

Post 15 Feb 2017, 13:29 • #33 
Piscator
6'6" - tried them both, like the MF66 a bit better, probably because it has a little softer tip for in close control.

Post 15 Feb 2017, 13:31 • #34 
Guide
Kalgrm wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:
It's a 4-pc rod with two handles. All four pieces makes an 8'10" 5-wt progressive taper.
The extra handle with the tip and mid makes a 3-pc. 6'9" parabolic 6-wt.
Interesting, both rod configurations will shoot about the same length of line, telling how important the mid of a rod is for doing that job.

It also goes to show how small the impact of an extra couple of feet in rod length make to distance casting. It's why I laugh at people who agonise over the choice between a 9' rod and an 8'6" rod due to the perceived loss of casting distance they'll incur. Give me a good rod* that's 8' or less and I'll be happy ....

Cheers,
Graeme

* ... in any material.

Had to grin a bit reading this. It profiles me to a tee I think.

I'm a relatively newcomer to fly fishing, only 20 yrs. in. I began with graphite and figured it was an "end-all" right there. The best rods were FAST...right? Man, how I've changed!!

The first thing a needed was to become a decent caster. I've worked hard at it and maybe gotten about half way there. I had a friend who had a bamboo rod and being a "wood guy", serious hobby furniture-maker/woodworker, the beauty caught me a bit. I couldn't cast my graphites really well, couldn't control the loops etc and like most newbies, I mastered making "wind knots". I figured if I could cast that one bamboo well I'd tighten up my loops on my Sages!!

Well, after a couple seasons in, I did just that! Cool, now I could just zip those graphites as I so chose. Yup, I could but I'd also changed. Now, it wasn't all about speed and 8" dia. loops...!!!

I got taken in by bamboo! Long story short...lots of $$ down the road, lots of nice rods ...more $$ down the road and now a bunch of extremely nice bamboo's by some historical makers, Payne, Leonard etc. Been really costly. And I love 'em!!

I run into a friend on-stream one day in Wisconsin and we had a fine day. Vlad became a good friend and remains so. He also fishes glass, furled leaders (I never would have otherwise!!) and is a superb caster! I found glass thru Vlad and have been very amazed at just how far glass has come sinc eI was a kid in high school and all I knew back then was Fenwick! (Aslo another fine rod, as I've come to realize!)

So, I've totally changed. I'm a fairly/pretty decent line handler. I love bamboo's and always will but I've also found glass and had my eyes opened!! Never knew I'd find a few that I love so much, thanks to a few guys here. And if ya wanna get snarky about it, it's costing me a whole lot less than the bamboo's but....we won't go there!! I'm still a "bamboo boy"!

Back to Graeme's final few words....."Give me a good rod - in any material..."....that just made me grin, bigtime! I couldn't agree more.

I think I love 'em all! With apologies for the blabbing. I really do love a fine fly fishing rod, I really do. And it's cost me...

I'm happy.

Post 15 Feb 2017, 18:17 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog mine is the MF66 too. Here is a shot of it on one of my first outings early last spring. I was trout fishing and got this healthy yellow perch.

Actually mine is labeled for ll bean as a feather weight

Post 15 Feb 2017, 18:44 • #36 
Master Guide
For me it is how a fish feels on the rod when you are playing it. More fun!!!!

Post 15 Feb 2017, 19:21 • #37 
Piscator
jeffsod wrote:
Bulldog mine is the MF66 too. Here is a shot of it on one of my first outings early last spring. I was trout fishing and got this healthy yellow perch.

very nice fish, mine is a Bean featherweight, too.
The black wraps give it away.

Post 18 Feb 2017, 05:42 • #38 
Master Guide
If you haven't learned everything in 20 years you need to try harder. You're not new to fly fishing.

Post 18 Feb 2017, 09:28 • #39 
Sport
Old resurrected thread but I'll contribute my $0.02. Succinctly and simply stated, I find fishing glass more fun. I'm not a professional or guide. I fish for recreation and just enjoy the feel of casting & playing fish more with glass rods.

Prior to about 2-3 years ago I fished the latest-greatest fast graphite exclusively; 9' 4 wt Helios H2, 9' 5 wt Hardy Zenith, 9' 6 wt Sage One. All great rods and very technically capable but very mechanical and lifeless feeling when fishing. All needed heavy, front taper biased wf line to load at all at real fishing distances also which makes presentation tough for a ham fisted caster like me.

Tried glass and it was a breath of fresh air. Yes you give up some reach with shorter rods. Yes hook sets are not lightening fast as with stiffer rods. Yes you give up a little when casting heavier flies or in wind; though not a huge issue in the Southeast for me. I get better presentations. I break off less w/ 6x or 7x on hook sets. I mend better. I enjoy it more when the rod actually bends when I cast or hook a 10" fish. Worth the compromises in "performance" to me.

Like others, I'm not super sentimental but I will admit to a degree of nostalgia as it relates to this. Kinda takes me back to my roots. I learned to fly fish with an old, yellow 8' 6 wt glass rod & a Martin reel. Not even sure what kind of rod, Shakespeare I think. I thought there were only two line weights; 6 for trout and 8 for bass. Learned to catch bream on gawdy, God awful creations I tied with a handed down vise & cigar box full of feathers, yarn, hair & thread. Graduated to trout fishing on the hallowed banks of the Davidson as I grew up in Brevard.

Fishing glass & click pawl reels brings that all back a little for me and reminds me of why I got hooked; pardon the pun; on this great sport. Long answer to a short question.

Post 18 Feb 2017, 18:35 • #40 
Guide
Creek wrote:
If you haven't learned everything in 20 years you need to try harder. You're not new to fly fishing.

I'm just bein' polite. Sometimes I think I know "everythink" then I run into some old f_rts who get me back on track.

Jeremy = slow learner!

Post 19 Feb 2017, 07:43 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
You never know everything,someone once told me if he was the smartest man in the room he was in the wrong room........aurelio

Post 20 Feb 2017, 13:16 • #42 
Master Guide
You never know everything about everything, but you can know enough of what's important to not look to know what you don't know about it.

If someone else wrote that I might laugh. :)

Post 20 Feb 2017, 20:16 • #43 
Guide
Creek wrote:
You never know everything about everything, but you can know enough of what's important to not look to know what you don't know about it.

An' with that I'm out! *grins*

With my 9th grade edumacation I had to read that 4 X an' I got this buzzin' thing goin' on now....

Jeremy - not a fat kid but still likes cake a "hole" bunch! .................................

Post 22 Feb 2017, 07:34 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Creek wrote:

If someone else wrote that I might laugh. :)

I have new glasses being made. They should be ready to pick-up tomorrow. I'll reread this then to see if I can make sense of it.

Post 22 Feb 2017, 10:05 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Scud I just go a new pair of glasses yesterday was shocked at the price ,I could have bought a new 64P

Post 20 Mar 2017, 22:51 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
What first brought me back to the glass rods of my early fly fishing days in the 60s was their durability. I bought a few of the "new" graphite rods and broke three in a year. In all the years I had fished glass rods, I had never broken one. The last straw was after a long hike into the Rawah Wilderness, I hung up on a backcast and "snap" lost the tip of my graphite rod in a way that I just felt it should not have failed. When I came down from the mountain, I went to find a glass rod and the Lamiglas Brush Creek rods were in production at the time. I bought the 7'6" 4 wt and never looked back. Later I began to collect the rods from my early fishing days which are still high quality fishing tools.

Another benefit of a glass rod is that I know that if the situation ever deteriorated between me and a graphite fisherman, and our rods happened to contact one another in the course of, or as the result of our conversation...there will only be one winner between a glass and graphite rod.

Post 20 Mar 2017, 23:20 • #47 
Master Guide
Cool: Fly rod jousting! Bring it on!!! :D

Post 21 Mar 2017, 11:50 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
I did find a use for a graphite rod the other day. i needed to wind a line onto a reel, so grabbed the butt section from my trusty TFO Finesse and used it to hold the reel. Worked well!

Post 21 Mar 2017, 15:11 • #49 
Master Guide
Because it is FUN! Simple as that.

Post 21 Mar 2017, 16:50 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
for me it is where i started,with a flea market heddon pal 6wt.bought a few vhs tapes and books and taught myself .started catching more fish than bushes.got into the graphite rods a little.had a couple explode in my hands.got tired of plastics and crankbaits .bought some old glass 8wts and love how they throw a big fly ,soft and slow at a surprising distance.without wearing out my worn out arm.into the 6wts now,just love casting them.maybe iowa in the fall

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply