It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:21

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Aug 2012, 10:09 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Just read this on Cameron's TFM blog: http://www.thefiberglassmanifesto.blogs. .. eries.html

Looks like a new series of lighter line glass rods in configurations and prices that are tempting. Anyone cast any of these yet?

Post 28 Aug 2012, 13:17 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Interesting, at that price I might be tempted by the 7 ft three weight.

Post 28 Aug 2012, 13:54 • #3 
A year or so ago I picked up the 7' 4/5 Anniversary Rod at the Hamburg store but did not fish it until last week. I was amazed how nicely the rod fished, with a lively action and good roll casting ability with a 4 weight line. I liked the rod very much and today UPS delivered the 5'9" 3 weight and the 6'6" 4 weight, which I got for the Anniversary closeout sale price at around $69 each.

The aesthetics of the new series seem to be similar to the nicely appointed and well recieved Anniversary series and there are some desirable small stream lengths that folks like myself will likely be interested in. The blank color seems nice too. I will probably "need" a couple from the second glass series and will be listening for early feedback on performance.

Post 29 Aug 2012, 00:00 • #4 
Master Guide
In talking to the Cabela's guys that were wandering around at IFTD last week it looks like the new version will be a step up in quality and consistency. I had shared with them that several of the same models felt noticeably different off the same rack and they believe that they have solved this issue with their new supplier (not that any of them were particularly bad, but I did hear that some had wobble issues possibly to poor setting of the spline). I'm looking forward to giving the new ones a shake.

Post 29 Aug 2012, 09:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for posting about these as I missed the initial posting on TFM. They look really nice for the $$.

Post 29 Aug 2012, 09:56 • #6 
Master Guide
It's a sweet looking rod. I'll also be interested in checking out the 703-3.

Post 29 Aug 2012, 12:02 • #7 
Master Guide
My brother has one of the CGR's. We both like it, and think they are a great rod for the money. But I have to have the 2wt. Had to sell a great short rod I had. The 2wt will be perfect for what I need.

Post 29 Aug 2012, 17:06 • #8 
I had read Cameron's post on the new Cabela Series Glass rods. Looked very impressive too me. I am just getting into the glass rod scene and am looking for reasonable quality with an emphasis on a lower budget. These should more than fit the bill, I think.

Post 01 Sep 2012, 19:19 • #9 
Master Guide
Cabelas has a brand new store just opening this weekend in Rogers, Arkansas. That's less than an hour from my home and I will sure check those new glass rods out.

Post 01 Sep 2012, 19:42 • #10 
I went to Cabelas in Rogers today and picked up the 5'9" 3wt and a Redington Drift 2/3 reel and a Cortland Sylk DT 3. Wow what a great little combo. Gotta cast a little slower but it's gonna be a great rod for small creeks and bluegill fishing from the Kayak.

Post 03 Sep 2012, 11:57 • #11 
Master Guide
I was into the local Cabela's store yesterday and had a look at the fiberglass rods, which seemed like real nice ones. They are on sale for about 60 bucks here.

Post 18 Sep 2012, 20:54 • #12 
Administrator
Fellows ... I should have the entire series soon and will plan on moving through the review faster than I did with the CGR review.

cfox ... I'm not usually a light line fly rods usually don't do much for me but the 5'9" three weight is one of my favorites from this series. Just a ton of fun.

Post 18 Sep 2012, 21:46 • #13 
Master Guide
Anyone know where the changes of the reelseat happen? According to photos there is slide band/cork seats and uplocking with wood spacer but I can't find which models have which.

Thanks

*EDIT*

Nevermind. Looks like Cabelas updated their page. The top two rods are the ones with uplocking seats.

Post 19 Sep 2012, 15:48 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
A 7' 3 wt. showed up on my doorstep the other day. Should give it a go this weekend. Indoor wiggle made me wonder if it might be a little firm, but you know how that goes; can't really tell until truly active.

Post 20 Sep 2012, 18:53 • #15 
Sport
Upstream- let us know what you think about the 7' 3 weight. I am certainly curious.

Jim

Post 20 Sep 2012, 22:09 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
the old remaining rods went on sale for $59 by the way

Post 21 Sep 2012, 15:50 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
i found a 5'9" 3wt at the Ft Worth.

Post 21 Sep 2012, 18:01 • #18 
Guide
Les, I have one of those. It is going to the Valle Vidal with me. I actually fish a 2wf on it--mostly cause that's what I had handy, and I liked it. It's a fun little rod.

Post 21 Sep 2012, 20:13 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
swalker9513 wrote:
Les, I have one of those. It is going to the Valle Vidal with me. I actually fish a 2wf on it--mostly cause that's what I had handy, and I liked it. It's a fun little rod.

Sean,

I think it'll get some use this weekend ... I'll try some different lines on it.
Les

Post 25 Sep 2012, 16:41 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I have to describe the 7' 3 wt. as "stiff." It seems designed for tip-flex, but it was difficult for me to load that way with a 3 wt. I didn't bring a 4 (or 5, or 6), but while I think it would load it better, I never found any real life to the rod; it always felt stiff. With a 14 dry, I kept finding myself putting in a haul to get some control at 20'. It needed a fast stroke and attentive stop, and its sweet spot didn't show up until about 35 feet, and even then wasn't all that sweet; it was still mostly a straight-line caster, without time or control for me to curve anything, and requiring a lot of attention to timing. I put on a bushy 10 with a beadhead 14 dropper, but it didn't really calm anything down. I didn't go further down that path because that's not a direction I want a 7' 3 wt. to go. I could never get it to roll cast well, esp. at small stream distance.

It dapped nicely, and is a pretty blank. Cork is nice, although I prefer the grip shape on my 5'9" CGR, which actually has a longer overall seat/grip. And the CGR has more space between the rings; it was hard to get a BBS II to fit the 7' CGT, although that would ease up with use.

Obviously, I'm not a fan; even my compliments above were qualified. I'm sure some will like it, but I'm really a long way from appreciating its virtues. Although some favor fast rods for small, tight streams, that's never worked for my casting and fishing. I haven't tried such a rod in a while, but in my memory, those I did and rejected seemed better suited to the role than this.

I wondered whether I should even post this; clearly it's just my opinion and I'm at least as idiosyncratic as the next fisherman. But, I figure it's one data point. Use it as you will, but beware of overusing it.

Post 26 Sep 2012, 20:16 • #21 
Sport
Thanks for the review. I was thinking about ordering the CGt 7' 3 wt. Now I'm going to wait until I can borrow the rod from Cameron @ TFM, and make a more informed decision. I appreciate your honesty.

Jim

Post 26 Sep 2012, 20:26 • #22 
Master Guide
For the price you can't beat them nice intro into glass without breaking the bank.

Post 27 Sep 2012, 20:14 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
I picked up both the CGR 6'6" 4wt and the 7'6" 6wt. They arrived today and both seem very fishable.
(sure was a bugger to get the clear plastic wrap off the cork on both)

Post 05 Oct 2012, 20:00 • #24 
Administrator
Upstreeam ... I appreciate the review. I have lawn cast the seven foot three weight and wasn't all that impressed with it. On the water I liked it much better but still want to spend some time with it. I received the entire line up last week and will work my way through all of them in the coming weeks. I didn't have time to pull them out of the tubes before leaving for Montana.

Post 11 Oct 2012, 00:29 • #25 
I have the GCR 6'6" 4wt. After the second day of fishing I noticed a wobble when casting and eventually discovered the blank was moving inside the forward portion of the cork handle (as if it was hollowed out). I wasn't very happy with this but the rod casts beautifully. I doubt Cabela's would repair it so I will live with it. I keep thinking if I could figure out a way to inject expanding form inside the handle that it would solve the problem.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply