It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:25

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Apr 2012, 10:22 • #1 
Guide
Wonder if any one bought any of the 3 pc. fiberglass blanks on Ebay this week.
Had them posted at 60.00 range. Now are 85.00 whats up with that.
Any one know who made them? Do they have any merit.

Post 10 Apr 2012, 11:58 • #2 
Sport
I saw those too. While they piqued my interest I placed an order for a Steffen brothers instead.
I'd still be interested in how they cast and handle.

Post 10 Apr 2012, 13:18 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
$60 was the starting bid. After the first round auction, they put them up with a buy-it-now price. I didn't buy one either.

Post 10 Apr 2012, 13:26 • #4 
Master Guide
They are being sold local to me as I saw them being offered on a local classifieds site. They look interesting but could be total duds. Would like to hear a review as well.

Post 10 Apr 2012, 15:54 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I saw those and was curious too only because the blue blank would defintely get my daughters interest.

Post 10 Apr 2012, 16:33 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I sent a message to a friend of mine, his friend is the person who has them listed. He did build one out. After I speak with him, I will try to get some info to you all.

Post 10 Apr 2012, 16:48 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you Shane - I'd love to hear the report.

Post 10 Apr 2012, 19:11 • #8 
Guide
River Hag wrote:
They are being sold local to me as I saw them being offered on a local classifieds site. They look interesting but could be total duds. Would like to hear a review as well.

What site did you see them on? Were they cheaper? When I see a quick change makes me wonder.

Post 10 Apr 2012, 19:19 • #9 
Master Guide
They are on the KSL.com site in their classifieds section. Here is the link;

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad. .. 0fly%20rod

$85 on there as well.

Post 11 Apr 2012, 00:29 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I looked at them as well (as I would have with virtually any fiberglass fly rod blank for sale), and passed on the first listings. I think they sold for ~$65. This may have bolstered the listing at the increased price. Maybe I would consider one at 50% of first listing price, but at the current price I would pay the extra and get a known commodity such as a Steffen, Kettle Creek, NOS Scott. ..

Andrew.

Post 11 Apr 2012, 15:14 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I was watching them as well. I believe they started out initially with a starting bid of $60 with a BIN of $125 which he called 'retail price'. I'm interested too but am hesitiant to go for an unknown blank.
Has anyone contacted him to say that some folks on the FFR are talking about him and invited him to chime in? That might be helpful to all of us.

Post 11 Apr 2012, 16:47 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I contacted the seller, and was told the blank are manufactured in China. The factory is supposed to make blanks for several other companies on the market, and according to the seller, they show great attention to details. Haven't ordered any blanks yet, would love to hear your thoughts first.

Chris

Post 16 Apr 2012, 04:56 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Spoke with a friend about the blanks. He built a few, and said he really likes them. He mentioned he may post some info hear. Also he packed a couple up to send to me, so I may have a look. I will report back, after I see them.

Last edited by Shane on 17 Apr 2012, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 Apr 2012, 07:02 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I sent the seller a message asking a number of questions about the blanks yesterday.
The seller has not answered any of the questions yet.
When or If I get a response I will pass on what I find out.
Tight Lines and Curious Loops
Andy M

Post 17 Apr 2012, 18:48 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The Seller got back to me with all my questions answered.
Below is the information I was given.
Tight Lines and Responsive Loops
Andy M

"Thank you for the interest in our blanks. Our blanks are med fast, A 6wt line will load it a little quicker and closer in. But if distance is needed a 5wt might be better. The blanks are very straight when assembled. We went with multiple colors for more options for the builder and fisherman. They are 100% fiberglass, unsanded blanks. We are working on more size configurations and sanded blanks. Possibly more colors in the future. We use an overseas rod manufaturer. And we would be able to work with you on bulk orders. We thank you for the questions. We have been getting positve feedback on these rods and are very excited about them. FiberRods"

Post 17 Apr 2012, 21:20 • #16 
Guide
Not sure if I'll buy one, but it is good to see another hat in the ring!

Post 18 Apr 2012, 02:52 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Here is the info I was given from the seller.
/Chris

"We have a manufacturer that builds rods for many different rod companies out there. They are based in China. They really do a great job with these rods, and they pay particular attention on details. Thanks for the inquiry ... let me know if there are any other questions that come up."

Post 18 Apr 2012, 23:12 • #18 
Hello Fiberglassers, I am one of the partners listing these rods on ebay. Just wanted to give you some info about us. We are a group of fisherman that are interested in fiberglass. As a rodbuilder we found it hard to find blanks to build on. We wanted to do something about it. We wanted to introduce new colors and use charactaristics we liked about rods we have fished, such as sanded or unsanded, spigot or tip over butt, colors, spigot colors, line wts, rod lengths. We want to know what you are looking for in a rod blank. We want to offer more options to the builders and fisherman that enjoy fiberglass fishing. We are starting work on a 7'6" 4 wt model. And looking at adding a couple more colors. What are you as rod builders and fisherman looking for in a blank? Tell us what colors you would be interested in, lengths, line wts. We have built and fished with these rods and had a good time with them. Thank you for the interest in these blanks and please let us know of any questions.

Post 23 Apr 2012, 19:53 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Received a tube full of the blanks today. First thing, I like the colors, and the unsanded look. I also noticed that, there is a double wrap at the ferrules, which I also like. I am not sure about the action yet, as I simply put the sections together and did a slight wiggle test. At first look, I would have been happy with the $85 price tag. Time will tell. I think one needs to be built out to really get a feel for them. The red, and orange ones, look very nice.

Post 23 Apr 2012, 20:14 • #20 
Master Guide
Shane wrote:
Received a tube full of the blanks today. First thing, I like the colors, and the unsanded look. I also noticed that, there is a double wrap at the ferrules, which I also like. I am not sure about the action yet, as I simply put the sections together and did a slight wiggle test. At first look, I would have been happy with the $85 price tag. Time will tell. I think one needs to be built out to really get a feel for them. The red, and orange ones, look very nice.

Are you going to build some out for sale?

Post 23 Apr 2012, 20:34 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
River Hag, Not sure? the blanks where sent for me to look at, but not positive what happens next. I would not be opposed to build on these blanks, but at this point I have no plans for it.

Post 23 Apr 2012, 21:21 • #22 
Master Guide
Shane wrote:
River Hag, Not sure? the blanks where sent for me to look at, but not positive what happens next. I would not be opposed to build on these blanks, but at this point I have no plans for it.

Sounds good. Will keep my ear to the ground in case you do. Might have to think on a purchase. Thanks!

Post 17 May 2012, 01:37 • #23 
troutfinn wrote:
... We want to know what you are looking for in a rod blank ...

You asked, so here's what I want:
7' 3wt. un-sanded, spigot ferules in translucent green. And I don't want to pay more than $55 for a no-name (probably made in China) blank, especially without any kind of warranty or satisfaction guarantee.

There you go, that is what I'm looking for.

Post 21 Jul 2012, 18:07 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Built up the first one of these blanks today. I think I may post some photos tomorrow and give my impression of them.

Post 22 Jul 2012, 08:52 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Shane - please share your impressions. I'm curious as to what you think.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply