It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:43

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Traver on Glass
Post 17 Jun 2018, 22:08 • #51 
Guide
My grandmother dated Gordon MacQuarrie and he used to visit us in Northern Wisconsin when I was young. I still have a signed book he gave me as a kid. I agree, his book on fly fishing is a hidden gem (everyone knows of his duck hunting writings). In the case of Gierach it's very hard to sustain truly great writing when you publish a book every year or two; but his worst writings are better than most people's best. He's terrific.

Ritz is fascinating. He went into business designing glass fly rods with national champion fly caster Jim Chapralis and rodmaker Ken Trisler, but it ended without any rods making it to market. I have a prototype he designed and Ken rolled marked "Chas. Ritz Special" on it -- no rod I've ever casted feels like this one. McFarland had it in his shop for a long time and I think he'd second that opinion. Ritz loved glass and it shows in his rods. He was a fascinating guy.

Post 17 Jun 2018, 22:13 • #52 
Guide
Craig S wrote:
Read some (or all) Roderick Haig-Brown. Strangely mesmerizing mixtures of amateur fishery biology and deep love of the game and all that surrounds the game. And you get, as a bonus, no name dropping.

I agree 100% on Schwiebert -- I have read him but wouldn't want to fish with him, or more probably, he wouldn't want to fish with me -- and it's great to see Haig-Brown get some love. Now there's an author whom I'd love to share a stream with. So unpretentious, and so well informed. As far as I can tell he never lost his sense of wonder in nature, which shines through in his writing.

Post 18 Jun 2018, 10:08 • #53 
Inactive
Love the Big Two Hearted River. I've got a copy of a wonderful story from National Geographic written by Nick Lyons in about 1980 where he goes to find and fish the area Hemingway wrote about. I sent out a bunch of copies to guys over on the bamboo board. Let me know if anyone here wants one and I can get one to you - hard copy or electronic - if you want to read it. PM me.
Rich

Post 18 Jun 2018, 10:33 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
Rich, thanks for sending me a copy a couple years back. I still pick at it every so often.
Did they chop your head off for a month over there?
John

Post 18 Jun 2018, 11:59 • #55 
Inactive
Hi John. I’m glad you’ve liked the article! It’s a good one. Yes I was banned for a couple weeks. I can’t decide if I’m just done or to go back with another glass/graphite post. Whatever.
Rich

Post 18 Jun 2018, 12:06 • #56 
Master Guide
RMorrison wrote:
Hi John. I’m glad you’ve liked the article! It’s a good one. Yes I was banned for a couple weeks. I can’t decide if I’m just done or to go back with another glass/graphite post. Whatever.
Rich

Some of those guys over on the cane forum have completely lost their minds. Let’s just say I won’t be partaking in that community anymore. I’ll leave it at that.

Post 18 Jun 2018, 12:26 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
It is really a shame - there is such a wealth of knowledge on rods of all materials, reels, fishing across the country and World, etc. on that forum. I really just can't understand such a hard line. The other night I got ticked and started deleting all my posts there - got through a bunch but had second thoughts and stopped.

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply