It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:58

Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Dec 2011, 07:31 • #176 
Guide
I just ordered the 570-3 7' 5wt. Been looking for reviews on it but not finding to much. How has this been recieved?

Wally

Post 19 Dec 2011, 12:38 • #177 
Guide
its a weird little rod, i hated it at first but once you sort of find its rythym, its alot of fun. it completely falls apart for me at maybe 20-25'. its 5'9" fly rod. what are you planning to do with it, but still, completely falls apart.

its short. way short. too short for me, maybe not others.

don't bother trying to feed it any weight, and have a good time with it.

Post 22 Dec 2011, 19:36 • #178 
Guide
glassman wrote:
I just ordered the 570-3 7' 5wt. Been looking for reviews on it but not finding to much. How has this been recieved?

Wally

Hello Wally,

I own a model C. G. R. 466-3, 6 '6, 4 Wt. I fished several times during the summer with this very nice fly rod. It is a regal at a short distance (15 meters). It is very soft and is perfectly balance with a light fly reel : "Loop model Nymph" or with a "Airex Ablette 370". I appreciated even more with a 3WF fly line. It is perfect for use with dry flies and small nymphs. It is very pleasant to fight the fish. Its flexibility allows you to maintain the fish without risk. For what is in the general appearance, this fly rod is very successful for a very affordable price.

I think that your model will be slightly more powerful. Don't forget to send your impressions of that you used. Have fun with this little gem!

Romain

Post 22 Dec 2011, 20:26 • #179 
Sport
I had the 3 weight model. Finest short roll casting rod i've ever owned.

Post 26 Dec 2011, 01:29 • #180 
Sport
gfen wrote:
it completely falls apart for me at maybe 20-25'. its 5'9" fly rod. what are you planning to do with it, but still, completely falls apart.

its short. way short. too short for me, maybe not others.

don't bother trying to feed it any weight, and have a good time with it.

I have to agree with this assessment. There may be people for whom the 3wt CGR is perfect, but I am not one of those people. Still, there are situations for which the rod is perfect for me. I really enjoy it inside of ~25 feet and with brush-choked banks. As an urban sunfisher, this rod definitely fills a niche. One of these days I'm going to land a carp on this rod and feel really good about myself afterwards, but it's probably going to take awhile. In the meantime, I'll just slay the Boston area bream ...

Post 28 Dec 2011, 13:11 • #181 
I just received the 7' 4/5wt for Christmas and can't wait to get it out on the water. Does anyone have any reel suggestions that would balance well with this rod?

Post 04 Jan 2012, 23:45 • #182 
Sport
This was at the Watertown/Waltham line on the Charles River. Love that dirty water!

The 1492 Medalist balances my 3wt pretty nicely. I just don't like the RH retrieve.

Post 05 Jan 2012, 05:10 • #183 
Glass Fanatic
BR, welcome, and that dirty water made for a dark bluegill, didn't it.

Please see here for info on converting your Pflueger to LHW. (Those instructions helped quickly convert several Pflueger Gems. Deep link may be gone, but good textual descriptions are still there.)

Post 05 Jan 2012, 05:14 • #184 
Glass Fanatic
Here's the new address for 1492/Gem conversion: http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/amago/b-streams/. .. list2.html.

Post 08 Jan 2012, 19:17 • #185 
Sport
swellcat wrote:
Here's the new address for 1492/Gem conversion: http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/amago/b-streams/. .. list2.html.

Very cool, thanks!

Post 11 Jan 2012, 16:11 • #186 
Guide
Biggie_Robs wrote:
The 1492 Medalist balances my 3wt pretty nicely. I just don't like the RH retrieve.

FWIW, it won't fit the old Medalist reel seats, though.

Post 14 Jan 2012, 00:25 • #187 
Sport
gfen wrote:
Biggie_Robs wrote:

FWIW, it won't fit the old Medalist reel seats, though.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's a relatively heavy reel, but at the light rod weights, it doesn't bother me so much. It fits the Cabelas CGR reel seat just fine. It's not clear to me what "old Medalist reel seats" are.

I would like to know what reel seats it won't fit, because I'm considering putting it on a Dan Craft 0/1wt build as a line holder instead of converting it to LH retrieve.

Thanks!

Post 15 Jan 2012, 21:07 • #188 
Guide
Biggie_Robs wrote:
I would like to know what reel seats it won't fit, because I'm considering putting it on a Dan Craft 0/1wt build as a line holder instead of converting it to LH retrieve.

older medalists used a much wider foot than the new models. are you using an older production reel, or a newer AZN produced unit?

if older, then seats that are narrow or tight, like the sliding band CGR 563.

Post 15 Jan 2012, 22:10 • #189 
Sport
gfen wrote:
Biggie_Robs wrote:

older medalists used a much wider foot than the new models. are you using an older production reel, or a newer AZN produced unit?

if older, then seats that are narrow or tight, like the sliding band CGR 563.

Naw, it's a newer Medalist--bought within the last year or so. Definitely not MIUSA. I'm glad to find out that the older Medalists don't have the same footprint. Is there a reference to figure out the footprint for the various medalist sizes?

Post 17 Jan 2012, 13:11 • #190 
Guide
Biggie_Robs wrote:
Is there a reference to figure out the footprint for the various medalist sizes?

Yes, use a rod with a narrow seat? ;)

Post 18 Jan 2012, 21:12 • #191 
Glass Fanatic
tsraven456 wrote:
I just received the 7' 4/5wt for Christmas and can't wait to get it out on the water. Does anyone have any reel suggestions that would balance well with this rod?

Try an Orvis Rocky Mountain 3/4 cassette reel. You can them on eBay for around $50.00. They fit my 7' 4/5 wt very nicely and add a WF-4-F Cabelas Prestige line and you're good to go.

Post 21 Jan 2012, 01:57 • #192 
Master Guide
softhackle wrote:
tsraven456 wrote:

Try an Orvis Rocky Mountain 3/4 cassette reel. You can them on eBay for around $50.00. They fit my 7' 4/5 wt very nicely and add a WF-4-F Cabelas Prestige line and you're good to go.

That would make a good color match for the rod as well.

Post 22 Jan 2012, 12:22 • #193 
Master Guide
I picked up a 6'6" 4wt and after trying several lines, IMHO, it lawn casts beautifully with a Teeny BS-100.

Nice smooth stroke that's progressively full-flexing without hinges down the entire length of the rod, but not into the handle. Medium to maybe medium-fast would be my best guess. Not too fast and not too slow either. Likes medium-sized loops. Nice recovery when the line is released without noticeable tip bounce. The line slips through the guides to gain distance without significant friction and lays the fly out delicately.

Me thinks it will be just right for tossing size 8 and 10 BH wooley buggers (or cat's whiskers, of course) up against the banks and tree roots under the cypress overhangs this summer.

Bulldog, this is one you'll have to try one day.

Typically, I'd pick a Phillipson MF-70 in this situation. So as a point of reference for those who fish similar situations, I'd say it's not as "punchy" as a Phillipson MF-70. It is lighter, smoother and softer yet is still able to shoot plenty of line well and does so rather gracefully. This one's a keeper. Just be sure to use a light reel with a thin foot.

I'm definately looking forward to getting this one out on the water this summer!

Post 22 Jan 2012, 12:56 • #194 
Guide
I have older US Medalists as well as a Korean or Chinese made reel. The older Medalists have screws holding the reel foot, the newer ones do not. The newer one I have would not fit the reel seat, it was too long (don't know about the footprint). Used to be you could order a foot replacement for a Medalist, I think when they started producing them off-shore, but I don't think you can change them out now.

Post 22 Jan 2012, 15:26 • #195 
Guide
Also, my fishing buddy got some new 1494 Medalists on a Cabela's closeout. He said they came with left hand retrieve. Since he is left handed, he had to change them over, which is easy enough to do. The 1492 is still right hand, so far as I know.

I'm right handed but retrieve right handed. When I started fly fishing, almost all reels were right hand retrieve. I got used to it.

Post 02 Mar 2012, 19:05 • #196 
Guide
Well - between the posts here and Cabela's $5 shipping deal, I fell for the 4wt. We'll see how it is vs. my S Glass in the same dimension.

tl
les

Post 12 Mar 2012, 18:58 • #197 
Master Guide
It looks like Cabela's sale is back on ... $74.99 plus $2 shipping (with promo code of 32SHIP)

Post 12 Mar 2012, 23:51 • #198 
Glass Fanatic
I ended up with the 6'6" 4wt ... great little rod, had it taco-ed nicely with a Deschutes Redband over the weekend. I was also pleasantly surprised at how much line this little wand will throw ...

I ended up getting it after the previous sale but before the current one, anyone know if Cabelas has some sort of policy regarding this? and giving people who have bought an item that goes on sale within a certain amount of time the difference back? Also, has anyone experienced the cork right near the winding check not being completely glued to the blank? I think an exchange might be in order for that ...

Post 19 Mar 2012, 21:56 • #199 
Sport
Those of you with the CGR 7.5' 5/6wt might be happy to know that should you mistakenly grab the Medalist with the 4wt line instead of the Martin with the 6wt, and then choose not to walk back to the car to get the correct reel because you're still wearing your dressier shoes from work and don't want to slog through the mud any more than necessary, all is not lost! Though it prefers a 6wt, and likes a 5wt, the rod doesn't complain to much about a 4wt, and the overall effect is generally the same (much in the way that I prefer Bulleit, like Makers, but won't complain about Wild Turkey, and the overall effect is generally the same!).

Post 25 Mar 2012, 13:16 • #200 
Hello; New here, but i bought a cgr rod and the bottom ferrule is mighty tight and i don`t want to force it as I might not get it apart ... What lub should I use? Thanks

Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next New Topic Add Reply