It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:15

Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next New Topic Add Reply
Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 24 Feb 2011, 11:12 • #126 
Guide
Hey, Rock- I wouldn't know a Tica if I ran into one flyfishing and wearing a thong. Tell us about this Tica, er, rod- material, lenght, wgt, action - all the goodies!

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 25 Feb 2011, 05:14 • #127 
Glass Fanatic
It's nice to see Cabela's bring out a 'glass rod. I looked them over in the store yesterday. They are OK for the price. That is all, which is good enough. I didn't see any reason to be especially excited about them. Except for the short 7/8 weight, you get more rod for the money in various inexpensive graphite rods for the other line weights (including some of Cabela's products), so I wouldn't select one of those merely because it is 'glass.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 25 Feb 2011, 05:58 • #128 
Glass Fanatic
neil green wrote:
Hey, Rock- I wouldn't know a Tica if I ran into one flyfishing and wearing a thong. Tell us about this Tica, er, rod- material, lenght, wgt, action - all the goodies!

I bumped my initial topic. Between the Tica and teh CGR a lot of rod "territory" is covered.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 01 Apr 2011, 16:21 • #129 
Little brother turns 50 next week, so I bought him the 5/6 weight rod. No problem throwing it 50 ft. I'm very happy and I hope it's a cherished gift he'll pass down to his kids one day.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 04 Apr 2011, 23:18 • #130 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Except for the short 7/8 weight, you get more rod for the money in various inexpensive graphite rods for the other line weights (including some of Cabela's products), so I wouldn't select one of those merely because it is 'glass.

That observation seems almost heretical for this board, but I wonder how true it might be for how much of the parade of old 'glass marching by on The Auction Site.

Asked another way, list five rod makes/models that can often be had for under $100 and convey a fair bit of what the fiberglass fuss is all about.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 05 Apr 2011, 06:05 • #131 
Administrator
swellcat wrote:
"Asked another way, list five rod makes/models that can often be had for under $100 and convey a fair bit of what the fiberglass fuss is all about."
OK.
  • Brand new yellow Eagle Claw rods. Not perfect, but the most cost effective fly rod on the market for the last 30 years.
  • Well used Fenwicks of every length and line weight can be purchased for under $100 on eBay with some patience.
  • Almost any Silaflex model can be found for under $100, unless it is in minty condition.
  • Virtually any glass Cortland rod can be nabbed on the cheap.
  • Many Heddons can be had for $40 plus shipping.
  • Many Conolon rods are available for $20 plus shipping.
  • Many H-I and Montagues can be acquired for $10 plus shipping.

Tom

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 06 Apr 2011, 11:23 • #132 
Administrator
For those waiting on the CGR review ... it's still coming. My life won't slow down.

For those wondering if the Vision Cult Fiber's were the same as the Cabelas CGR ... they aren't. The components are the same but the blank is COMPLETELY different in feel, flex, and looks. A Cult Fiber 5/6 weight arrived today in the mail for demo/review (Like I need more to do. HA ... ) and it is entirely a different animal. I'll get a line on it soon.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 07 Apr 2011, 10:03 • #133 
Master Guide
I would be really interested to know if anyone has cast the 5'9" 3 wt. and if so, what do you think? Considering ordering one as I really like the two CGR's I have, but it just is such a strange size.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 07 Apr 2011, 10:31 • #134 
Administrator
River Hag ... I PROMISE I'll get out in the yard with mine next week. I've got to take a half day and just cast/fish all these rods for the TFM review.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 07 Apr 2011, 12:01 • #135 
Master Guide
Cameron, you're getting too many toys to review.
Missed you at the show- next year maybe?

River Hag you from SLC?

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 07 Apr 2011, 13:12 • #136 
Master Guide
Sounds great Cameron. But hey, if you have too much to do, I would be glad to pick up the slack. Just send them over. Image

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 08 Apr 2011, 05:34 • #137 
Sport
River Hag ... I've got a couple of CGR's as well and like mine alot. Which ones do you have?

Cameron ... Cult Fiber is different in feel and flex how? Faster, slower? More tip flex or butt flex (sounds like an exercise DVD). You're working to hard! You should really send that rod out west ... for a test.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 08 Apr 2011, 08:22 • #138 
Master Guide
Mojorizing wrote:

River Hag you from SLC?

Yes sir. You?

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 08 Apr 2011, 08:23 • #139 
Master Guide
lakefly wrote:
River Hag ... I've got a couple of CGR's as well and like mine alot. Which ones do you have?

Cameron ... Cult Fiber is different in feel and flex how? Faster, slower? More tip flex or butt flex (sounds like an exercise DVD). You're working to hard! You should really send that rod out west ... for a test.

I have the 7.5 foot six and the 6.5 foot four. I really like them but I am trying to imagine a rod under that 6.5 mark and how that would cast. There are a couple of creeks up in the Ashley National Forest that I think would be great with something of the 5.9 size but only if it casts smooth.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 08 Apr 2011, 11:56 • #140 
Master Guide
River Hag wrote:
Mojorizing wrote:

River Hag you from SLC?

Yes sir. You?

Cardiac

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 08 Apr 2011, 12:43 • #141 
River hag; I have a 6-6 coming and I was wondering what line you are using or if you had tryed different wts,? Thanks, jake41

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 08 Apr 2011, 13:26 • #142 
Master Guide
jake41 wrote:
River hag; I have a 6-6 coming and I was wondering what line you are using or if you had tryed different wts,? Thanks, jake41

I have been using a four weight Rio Gold on that rod and love it. I actually have not tried anything else but probably will when our waters mellow out. It is one I can see overlining with a five for some of the small creeks. But that four weight casts beautiful.

And hey, Cardiac. Did not know that was you. Any others from the board on here as well?

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 08 Apr 2011, 18:22 • #143 
Master Guide
My brother got the 7'6" 5/6wt. We cast a Rio 4 grand on it. My brother could cast just about all the line fishing in the rain and some wind. He also later tried a 5wt and 6wt line. Don't know which ones. He said he like the 5 a lot and the 6 was great in close but felt it over loaded the rod a bit when it got out to longer distances. Great rods for the money. I'm saving for the 7' 4wt. Good luck and let us know what lines you end up with.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 24 Apr 2011, 01:29 • #144 
Guide
Well, I'd gone and done it. Bought the 7'6" 7/8wt.

Tried with a few lines, it feels great close in, but whenever I cast, it falls apart about 40' and starts into these massive tailing loops. Tried a couple different 8WFF lines on it.

Still, it feels nice, looks great. The handle, in my opinion, is perfectly sized for me and feels terriffic.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 25 Apr 2011, 02:01 • #145 
Guide

Its a nice enough rod, looks sharp. I really apprechiate the visual flair on the rod tube, too, although I'd have preferred a reel-on case instead.

I think the colour though is just about beautiful, the wraps are a great colour too, and the silver trim is understated.

The stripping guide is oddly alluring, but IMNSHO, too small. I understand its supposed to be "period correct" to when Cabela's just started sellign stuff, so I gues little strippers were the way things were, but I don't care. I hate it.

Love the reel seat, though. I'm a fan of the full wells, and this one feels a bit smaller than others I've had. It absolutely falls right into place, and the cork trim rings really set it off. The aluminum seat is a bit boring, but then its made for the abuses of salt, etc, I guess so I don't mind. Two uplocking nuts would've been nicer, though.

The rod proudly proclaimed "Pacific Bay components" and "Made in China." The employees were unsure where the blank came from, though.

Over all, I mostly like it. As I said, I have wicked tailing loop problems. I've been using a SA Air Cel and a SA GPX both in WFF. I think I'm going to use my LL Bean satisfaction garuntee to swap out the GPX for an Expert Distance which is a longer belly with a double rear taper as I just can't shoot line, plus that tiny stripper isn't conductive to launching line, anyways. I'm pretty sure the whole thing falls apart when I'm trying to aerialize running line to head, really.

I bought it for use on a FL trip for the bass pond in the old man's backyard, plus fishing the bridge lights and maybe even off the shore (I've got another 8wt graphite rod for that). We'll see how it does. I'm confident it'd be a blast close in, but for me, its just not a distance performer. For a guy with a boat, I can see this being about as awesome a bass rod as possible.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 25 Apr 2011, 02:07 • #146 
Master Guide
Nice reel on that rodImage

The finish on these rods are really nice for under $100.

Been contemplating bet the 6 vs 8 wt.

thanks for the pics.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 25 Apr 2011, 03:04 • #147 
Guide
Well, I'd been waiting for some more feedback on these from people, but I guess those who bought 'em are tight lipped, so I had to take the plunge myself.

I'm normally highly biased against things that say Cabela's on them, its vanity pure and simple, but I just feel like its cheap and I don't like it. However, this rod was a weird enough thing that I'm willing to see past that bias.

Outside of the name thing, though, its quite pretty to look at. I really find the wraps and that stripping guide sexy, although I don't quite understand why.

That reel is planned to be the backup reel to a Chinese Medalist I dremelled apart and installed a leather finger brake into. We'll see how it fares against what I hope to be a couple of lunker largemouth and if the stars are with me, something, anything, in the salt water.

Worst case, I take a yearly striper trip in Jersey on summer vacation. I will absolutely put that Medalist to the test on any blues or stripers I can find on that run, which tend to be smaller schoolies, but I ain't picky.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 25 Apr 2011, 08:51 • #148 
Glass Fanatic
Super photos, Gfen. Thanks for taking the trouble on those in addition to sharing your findings.

.. . it falls apart about 40' and starts into these massive tailing loops.[/quote]
Generally, I would think that would be a deal-breaker for an eight weight. Will you try some seven and six weight lines?

.. . Chinese Medalist I dremelled apart and installed a leather finger brake into.[/quote]
That deserves its own thread on The Reel Forum.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 25 Apr 2011, 11:48 • #149 
Guide
Quote:
Super photos, Gfen. Thanks for taking the trouble on those in addition to sharing your findings.

No problem, I used to take alot of photos before digital came along and took the jam out of my doughnut, so its nice to be able to play with still lives, eh.

Also, I know that I can't be the only one interested in these, but hadn't pulled the trigger yet.

Quote:
Generally, I would think that would be a deal-breaker for an eight weight. Will you try some seven and six weight lines?

Anyone want to send me some 7 weight lines, I'm on it.

I've got an Aircel 6WFF to try, but I don't have much faith in it. I did give it a heave with a GPX 5WFF and a Mastery 5WF sink tip, and it was ... whippy.

I'm not an expert caster, but I do know that it was pretty hopeless.

I was out for a little bit more today, and working on hauls and shooting. Using the Aircel 8WFF instead of the GPX 8WFF, I was doing much better. Also, either my casting or the line/rod combo requires some weight at the end of it. Using lighter flies, I'd see that tailing loop again, but if I put a couple BB splits on the end, it was much nicer.

I was reaching somewhere at the top end of my usual range, 50-60 feet. After that, I tend to lose it.. my standard of measurement is an 8wt TFO Teeny rod with the GPX (or overlined with a Cabela's 10WFF).

So, I imagine it just needs to be better matched with a rod, and more practice ... but if you're off, it definatly tails. I'd like to try a Wulff TT or SA Expert Distance line.

Quote:
That deserves its own thread on [url=../../forums/4]The Reel Forum[/url].

Was my first few posts to this board, actually. I just piggy backed someone's Medalist thread.

FWIW, I wrote a sort of full "review" on my rather pointless attempt to cash in on the Interwebs and make money for hooks: http://lvlimestoner.blogs ... ill-not-just-coffee.html <- You should click on a banner link on the way out, help a brother out. Image

Last edited by gfen on 25 Apr 2011, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Cabela's CGR glass rods?
Post 25 Apr 2011, 13:38 • #150 
Guide

'fen- I clicked on the facebook link on the way out? I assume that row of buttons was a banner link such as you mentioned. If not, let me know so I can go back in and click on the right link.

Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next New Topic Add Reply