It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Jan 2008, 06:40 • #1 
The www is quite "something". When I asked google about "ABU Citation" in was directed on your site ... So first of all, hello from Germany!

I'm realy not deep into flyfishing or collecting those wonderful rods but my father left me an an old (?) ABU Citation 789, 9 1/2', 290 cm, ABULON AFTMA 8-9, Made in USA.

I'd like to have more information (age, usage, worth etc.). Is there anybody around, who can help?

Regards,
Klaus-Dirk Bauer

Post 06 Jan 2008, 07:45 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hi, welcome to our group,
Abu like Mitchell, Conolon, and quite a few other companies made up the Garcia family of International sporting goods manufactures and destributors during the 60's, 70's and early 80's. The Abu line still remains as part of the Garcia Group, the Conolon and Mitchell products are simply trade mark names today, neither being made by the original manufactures.
That your rod is stamped Abu and made in America, pretty well places it as a Conolon product produced for Abu and then shipped to them for further handling and marketing. The Abu rods included others of the Conolon lineup including the Charles Ritz series as marketed by Abu.
That your rod caries the name Citation leads me to think its an early rod, the Citation series goes back to the earliest days of Narmco, San Diego, when Conolon was the process used to produce the rod blanks. The name/model Citation was the highest grade of the early rods. If you can post a picture of your rod I can most likely give you alot more detail. As best its just a guess now, that it was produced between 1962 and 1971 at the Conolon plant in Santa Anna, California. Based on your description and without pictures I would have to say it was a Tournament rod, weighed 8 ounces, and was rated for an 8wt line. Does yours look like it has or had a butt extension now or at one time? Before 1972 it was the second highest priced rod of the Conolon/Abu lineup, and was dropped when the Charles Ritz line of rods started being marketed by Abu. Post a picture if you can I would really like to see that rod.
Richard

Post 06 Jan 2008, 08:14 • #3 
Administrator
Klaus-Dirk,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

For information on posting photos to this site, please see these instructions. Your rod is interesting. I would also like to see some photographs.

Tom

Post 06 Jan 2008, 09:08 • #4 
Thank you, Richard for your quick response, some pictures are on the way to your private email-adress!
Regards, Klaus-Dirk

Post 06 Jan 2008, 09:10 • #5 
Thank you, Tom for your quick response, some pictures are on the way to your private email-adress!
Regards, Klaus-Dirk

Post 06 Jan 2008, 09:29 • #6 
Administrator
Klaus-Dirk,

I it is acceptable to you, I will post the photos here.

Tom

Post 06 Jan 2008, 09:30 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Wow terrific rod Dirk,
Toms gonna post the pictures for us. Your rod was reintroduced in 1975 after the Charles Ritz line was dropped by Abu. It sports the earliest fiberglass spiggot ferrules that Conolon produced. It was manufactured the same year as Toms sweet little pack rod. In 1976 Conolon was about to introduce the entire line of Glass Spiggot ferruled rods in the United States, but to the best of my knowledge the idea was put on hold, the rods labeled for Abu and shipped off, I have the 1976 printed copy for those rods, they were ready to be marketed here but for some unknown reason the line never was or if so, in such limited numbers that only a couple of examples have ever shown up. Instead Conolon introduced their entirely new line of Glass/graphite composites and soon after the all graphite rods.
Your rod still carries over the butt extension, so Im guessing it was still classed as a Tournament grade rod and as modern line designations we all the vogue Abu insisted that the "spread" be listed as to line weights, thus the 789 Citation model. Fantastic rod really, Im sure had Conolon introduced that rod in the states it would have been very well received, its one of the nicest looking rods Ive seen of the Abu lineup. I have several of the later Abu's both Composite and 100% graphite, but yours is by far the best looking of the group including the Ritz Rods, I really like yours.
Richard

as a postscript, Abu Sweden made quite a few rods themselves, however even as early as 1962, it was cheaper for Garcia to produce high end rods at Conolon and ship them to Abu for remarking and marketing. I have a few examples of the Abu made in Sweden rods, they are well made, I would class them as at least a four star rod, and suspect that many were assembled in Sweden on Conolon blanks after the purchase of Conolon by Garcia in 1961. Even way back then labor costs were climbing in Europe faster than here. After the closing of Conolon Abu and Garcia went offshore for the manufacture of there fishing rods.

Post 07 Jan 2008, 11:59 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
enuf with the tantalizing. Pictures, pictures! :D

Post 07 Jan 2008, 12:31 • #9 
Administrator
Here are the photos that Dirk sent me of the rod.

Tom

Post 07 Jan 2008, 12:55 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
drive safely! no speeding. We need you to be well.
:)

Post 09 Jan 2008, 14:53 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Dirk,
I received your pictures, actually with my slow dialup they were downloaded after I went to bed for the last two nights. Im gonna edit them a tiny bit for size, then upload them to my photobucket, that will take tonight at least. Then next time Im logged into this forum I will post the better pic's in the Photo section. Sorry about the delay but Im very slow dialup and we are having some major winter storms.
Richard

Post 10 Jan 2008, 03:45 • #12 
Hi Richard,
thank you for all your help and the information. Looking forward for seeing the ABU Citation on "Fiberglassflyrodders"; and who knows, maybe one day an enthusiastic angler from the USA visits me in Hamburg and takes the rod back to the US?.

Post 10 Jan 2008, 18:35 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Dirk,
Well let me explain, Im very slow dialup in the southeastern Sierras, (rural mountains) of California. As such my dialup requires litterally hours to upload pictures such as yours. It generally takes me days to compress them, load them up into my photobucket when I go to bed and eventually post the link to the group. Thats what Im doing when I go to bed now, I should be able to post links to pictures of your rods in a day or two.
I think the only way that nice rod will come home is by a member passing threw your country. Aparently the shipping between the European Common Market and the United States has some monitary Barriers, I wasn't aware of until I recently shipped reels to Germany and Great Brittian and found the rates were 300% higher than other areas around the world. Such is life and politics.
Richard

Post 16 Jan 2008, 23:51 • #14 
Sport
Man, what a beautiful rod! Boy, it would be a great redfish rod. Also would be a nice surf-fishing rod, with that length.

Tom L.

Post 18 Jan 2008, 06:45 • #15 
I think you are right! It even looks better now because I put some time into cleaning the grip and the rest of the rod. I mentioned ealier, that I'm realy not into that flyfishing business. Tomorrow I plan to go for walleye but I usually use hard or soft baits on a casting rod/reel. The river I usually fish in has some upgoing trout/ salmon (from North Sea) at this time of the year as well. So because I'll probably continue my "way of fishing" someone of you folks must come here to bring the ABU "back home"!

Dirk

Post 04 Dec 2017, 10:33 • #16 
Hi everyone. Im from sweden and are new to this forum.
I found this forum when googling info on an old Abu garcia Rod similar to that mentioned above.

I have two questions for you guys.

1. This year has been kind of a starter for me when it comes to fiberglass rods, because i bought my first one early this summer. It’s a orvis superfine 7,6 #4 glassrod. Do you have any experiences with this rod? I love it so far. Takes my fly fishing to another level.

2. This is my main question. I helped a friend move this weekend and among his stuff I spotted an old rod and tried to get more information about it but couldn’t find any. Can someone tell me a little about this rod and it’s history etc. I will attach a picture of this rod in this post.

Thanks in forehand. / Josef

Post 04 Dec 2017, 11:35 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Holmbergjosef! Others will have information about the ABU Garcia, but I do have the Orvis 764 Superfine Glass, and like it too. It's on the quick side for glass, with an extremely powerful butt. Mine is home-built, and I measured the butt at .468 inches (11.9mm). It's a good, accurate rod for a wide variety of situations. Enjoy yours, with many tight lines!

Post 04 Dec 2017, 11:52 • #18 
Piscator
that's an exceptionally nice rod, both color and ferrule (Tom's post) reminds me of mid-70s Berkley para/metric.
I'm wondering since it doesn't say Conolon, whether they didn't source the rod from Berkley.

Post 04 Dec 2017, 15:02 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
In one of Richard's old posts above, he mentioned in 1976 they had planned to come out with fiberglass ferrules, but instead moved that to the European operation, but perhaps a few were done here. My friend Kurt has a Garcia 5 piece 4 star rod with glass ferrules, and it is a beautiful rod and casts very smoothly.

Larry

Post 04 Dec 2017, 15:30 • #20 
Thank you so much. As i fished the Orvis Rod this summer i liked it more and more by the time.

Post 04 Dec 2017, 15:32 • #21 
Thank you for your respons Larry. So do you think the rod is made in USA?

Post 04 Dec 2017, 15:37 • #22 
Abu bought Garcia in 1984 so it must have been produced after that...

Post 04 Dec 2017, 22:35 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Richard was our expert on Conolon and Garcia, and he said the rods were built in the US and then shipped to Europe. I think what he was saying above was that only a few of the glass spigot models may have been sold here, and apparently he was right as I have fished with one. However it was not a Citation but a Garcia 4 Star.

Larry

Post 05 Dec 2017, 02:35 • #24 
I see. Is Richard still active on this forum?

Post 05 Dec 2017, 19:13 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
No. We have heard nothing from Richard in a few years, and I fear he has probably passed on.

Larry

New Topic Add Reply