It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:05

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
it's even got mylar
Post 17 Sep 2018, 20:24 • #1 
Piscator
I got the Harnell 652 - 8' 7-wt.
If it's as good as it looks, taking it to the coast for redfish from a kayak in 3 weeks.
Should be a good match for that work.
from a distance the reel seat pockets look wussy, but up close they look stout - and it's a Harnell

matching it with my Valentine planetary, and definitely paddling out with the slime line.

Except for bait rods, haven't bought a fly rod in years (like I need to) - sold a few, though.

Re: it's even got mylar
Post 17 Sep 2018, 20:28 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
looks amazing ! Can't wait to see you report back and how it performs I'm sure it will serve you well.

Post 17 Sep 2018, 21:08 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Ron that's a fine score. I have a soft spot for Harnell as I took my largest striper on a ten foot harnell conventional glass. I will be very curious to hear your thoughts on its casting. I have not yet had the pleasure to cast a harnell fly rod.

Post 17 Sep 2018, 21:59 • #4 
Piscator
I sold an 8' 8 or 9 wt to Tom many years ago. It was fast for e-glass, and heavy to go with it, it sure was a beauty.
I was really in my hill country cycle then, and every rod I was accumulating was focused at that.
Now fall coast trips are everything to me.
Tom was supposed to sell me the rod back, but he slipped away somewhere, so I've been stalking them on ebay for the past month.
Probably older, nickel silver ferrules and solid block cork. FWIW, the cork on the rod above is closer to my preference, but the solid block is beautiful. I remember it was a Big grip.

On the rod above, I set my snipe higher than the win and was only the 2nd bid, so I got a good buy.
I'm guessing it was someone else on the board who had the taste to make the 1st bid.

Not for this trip. but I may look at a fitting a butt in place of the rubber stopper - I did it before on a System 7 - tonemike has that rod now.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 19 Sep 2018, 22:18, edited 2 times in total.

Post 17 Sep 2018, 22:24 • #5 
Piscator
here's where we're taking our kayaks - will be in a canal house behind the red dot - top just right of center.
(this is a lot easier to read at 3180 x 2350 https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1/ir/9s162ig.jpg
As of now, only have the first day tides planned - the morning has 2 high tides - fish the 3 inside cuts south of Talley Island, and be through the big cut on the hard pack outside beach for the strong falling afternoon tide that drains the flat into the big bay.
Shy of a cold front, prevailing wind is SSE, which will let us drift-fish much of the way home.
Haven't yet worked out the tides the following days. But Estes cove and "former cut" north of Talley are all skinny grass, so will be in there with the fly rod some time during this trip.
We're also 5 mile drive to launch boats at great flats along Aransas causeway.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 19 Sep 2018, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Sep 2018, 23:24 • #6 
Master Guide
I gave away an 8' Harnell, which seemed to be a very early one with the solid cork grip (one solid piece; no rings). It was full flex and seemed like a six weight, but I was damned if I could find a tempo it liked. It honestly felt like somebody cut a section of an antenna and put guides on it, without a designed taper. I eagerly await your casting report for that beauty!

Post 18 Sep 2018, 07:32 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, that surely looks like a later model than the first one you owned. I do recall that solid cork it had. While cool it is too big for my hand. I really like the look of the new one. I have occasionally come across them in a local antique shop but most have been too far gone requiring full restoration. I do imagine they might give a different feel if you stripped off all the black paint and put on the correct number of guides though. For saltwater glass I have to say the fisher I have is my go to in a 9/10. I have an 8wt Eddie Bauer labeled fisher that is nice but the reel seat is not ideal for the salt. I think it is an Allen.

Post 18 Sep 2018, 09:36 • #8 
Piscator
I wanted something shorter than my 8-1/2' Issac for getting off short quick casts from a kayak.
Should have bought a CGR 7/8 last spring, but they're all gone now.
I'm guessing this rod to be a soft 7-wt, making it a good in-close sit-down rod.

Post 18 Sep 2018, 17:43 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
pretty rod.. I built a spinning rod with that color scheme back in the 70s, tore it down and rebuilt later when it started to look a bit gaudy ;-)

Post 18 Sep 2018, 19:17 • #10 
Piscator
that's tastefully done mylar, though - and agree the thread is kind of bright, but my Valentine will actually play it down
here's my favorite mylar example - Phillipson E80 (true 6wt)

Post 19 Sep 2018, 15:06 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
the Philipson is pretty for sure..

Post 19 Sep 2018, 17:07 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool!

Post 19 Sep 2018, 22:43 • #13 
Piscator
it arrives in tomorrow's mail - I'll update if I have time to tinker - but I also have boat-rigging parts coming.
Finished up a really nice rebuild of the skeg today - this device is required for the 10' boat to track well in coast wind - the skeg had 2 glaring design flaws, the first I fixed when I installed it 6 years ago, the 2nd I fixed on this rebuild.
I'm loaning my daughter's boat to the right-size guy.
of course it's fully rigged for fishing
Aside from being short, it's only a 45-lb boat, built to be wind-cheating, haul a good load (325 lb), and really moves.

Salt fishing and river fishing have a lot more in common than you may realize.
When you're on a cut in a strong draining tide, it is a river. Of course the bait coming out with the tide draws up big fish from the big bay and channel, especially during the fall migrations. The channel goes to the Gulf, which is 3 miles away. Many pelagic fish will travel 25 mi/day to find enough food.
Wading and blind-fishing the cut, will probably use a TS-250 sinking line - and a different rod, my RPLX7 3-pc, which will be stashed in my bow hold.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 21 Sep 2018, 09:44, edited 4 times in total.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 07:00 • #14 
Piscator
Received the Harnell today.
It's a wonderfully sweet progressive 7-wt with a powerful butt.
Didn't get to cast it a lot, but stood on the wet driveway and handled some slime line in the air with my back cast over the fence and my forward cast just into the sage over the pop-up, which is pretty typical redfish range.
I can't describe it other than it oddly felt so right - the combination of the reel and slime line on the rod - like the rod had been looking for this line all its life.
Does just what I wanted, super control in close, tight loops, forgiving, quick to get out - accurate.
Will also be a great rod for dock-fishing at night.
Weight is 4 oz, comparable to any salt rod, and a perfect match with the Valentine. .
The Harnell reel seat has Patent pending stamped on it, and is quite solid.

If I was designing a rod, I would have spec'd this cork. Note how it compares to my favorite Phillipson 6-wt above,
the action of this rod is almost identical to the Phillipson EF80-S I had built from blank, and basically the same cork
and of course if I hadn't sold it, wouldn't have gone looking for the Harnell.

As far as the progressive tip goes - you know the feeling with a fast graphite rod when you have more leader than line out and you're casting like a one-armed paper hanger trying to keep the leader off the water? A progressive glass rod doesn't do that. In close, the casting process with just the leader is the same speed or slower than when you have more line out and are loading deeper down the blank. Overall, everything about loading a glass rod is a bit slower, but that's not a bad thing, because it gives you more control.
It's this taper, plus the 6" shorter length that makes this rod the choice for sitting in a kayak, over my 6/7 Izch inshore para.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 21 Sep 2018, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 07:26 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Boy Ron that reel just looks right on that rod.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 07:31 • #16 
Piscator
thanks friend - looking forward to getting it wet

Post 21 Sep 2018, 13:55 • #17 
Master Guide
Bulldog, very sharp Harnell/Valentine combo...I've been recently searching for lighter weight Harnell's...my father bought these rods in the sixties...known as one of the higher end U.S. production rods of the time...the mylar may be a little gaudy for some, but I think it is indicative of the quality Harnell strived for during the time period (flashy meant high quality)...

Thanks for sharing the details on your fall trip...looks like tremendous fun.

Sandman

Post 21 Sep 2018, 14:16 • #18 
Piscator
the e-bay seller reported it 4/5 wt, but I searched our forum and found the same rod reported as 7-wt.
That's when I set up my snipe - the rod looked too good to leave alone.
When it came home, it's definitely a 7wt - it was alive with the correct line.
That said, it probably would trout-fish well with a 6-wt or even 5.
Interesting, the rod feels tippier when it's unlined, but really feels right lined. Again, it's a virtual twin of the Phillipson EF80-S, but one-line-weight lighter.
That could be the stiffness of the monocore slime line - but they're a perfect match.
Watch out for people who don't get glass.
It's a great rod wearing old clothes, and I knew the Valentine was a perfect match for it.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 22 Sep 2018, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 15:19 • #19 
Master Guide
Thanks for the heads up Bulldog...I'm not sure Harnell made a 4/5w fly rod...still researching...

Sandman

Post 23 Sep 2018, 02:01 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Ha, I’d forgotten that I got that sweet System 7 from you Ron. I put a fighting butt on it and it’s ended up being a real workhorse, catching thick Rainbows in Alaska. It’s actually at my buddy’s cabin up in Denali National Forest. I do love the System fiberglass rod series!
I hope that Harnell rod serves you well out on the cost!

Post 23 Sep 2018, 05:21 • #21 
Piscator
(pretty sure I sent it with a fighting butt)
Struble doesn't make these anymore
I also put one on a Struble line winder - really improved it

I bought the 1960 Harnell catalog on ebay, so I'll be ready to answer any questions later...

Post 27 Sep 2018, 12:08 • #22 
Piscator
Chris, I got the 1960 Harnell catalog - I'll get copystand photos sometime over the next month.

Harnell made a series of UL dry fly rods, all end in R, but 600, 601, 604, 605, all 5'
656, 657, 658, all 6'

in longer rods, 645R, 7' light
650R, 9' medium
652R - mine - 8' medium
654R, 8' light (there's a rough one on ebay, BIN)
655R, 8-1/2' medium

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 27 Sep 2018, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Sep 2018, 12:08 • #23 
Master Guide
Ron, thanks so much for the info....glad to know they made ULs...and early on too...the search is on...look forward to the catalog photos...

Thanks again,
Sandman

Post 27 Sep 2018, 12:13 • #24 
Master Guide
I am interested in these: 656R, 657R, 658R all 6' and 645R, 7' light...Would be cool to see some examples if anyone has them...also curious to know their action..

Sandman

Post 27 Sep 2018, 17:13 • #25 
Piscator
Good luck finding the light trout rods, and I know you'll let us know if you succeed.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 28 Sep 2018, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply