It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:19

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Jun 2018, 17:05 • #1 
Guide
Today I had a chance to buy a vintage Daiwa 1345 [ series 1300 ] fiberglass fly rod with a Kmart reel on it.The decal is a lot different than the ones Ive seen through the years.Length is 8 foot,action none, AFTMA #7 line, lure weight none.Is anyone familiar with this Daiwa fly rod and maybe know what year this was made with this type of decal on it?Also wondering who made the blanks for this fly rod?The Kmart reel has a number 44 on it and Im not sure who made these reels for Kmart.Any help would be appreciated.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 19:48 • #2 
Sport
I am a fan of the old glass Daiwas, underrated imo...however that one appears to be a tip into butt rod which would be a turnoff to me...I prefer the older metal ferruled daiwas...reel looks like either a medalist clone or maybe even a rebadged medalist but the reel gurus here will probably clear that up before I finish typing this. I'd say if the price was right it would be a good outfit to play around with, lend out to kids, leave in the auto for "emergencies" etc

Post 13 Jun 2018, 19:52 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The reel is probably a Daiwa as well. I can't tell you much about the history, but I have one sitting on my back porch right now.
I always presumed that Daiwa/Seiko/Olympic did their own manufacturing. It's Japanese for sure.
Not a fancy rod, but a neat butt over tip rod. I did have a nicer casting Olympic that was of similar construction (but painted) in a 6wt that was nice.

The rod is a work horse rod. Nothing fancy. I keep mine strung up out back for casting if I get the itch.

Post 14 Jun 2018, 06:34 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
If the seller wanted $10 for the outfit, then an offer of $5 would be a chance to buy. $7.50 if beside a stream with fish rising. Nothing wrong with a utility outfit--it's good to have one or two--but even an all new utility outfit can be chosen and purchased for not much more. The Pflueger knock-offs of that time were prone to breakage/deterioration of the plastic drag knob and latch plate.

Post 14 Jun 2018, 08:31 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I recall seeing those in the store and on the water. Guys I saw fishing them would typically have a level line on the reel and a jar of minnies with them. To this day there's a few guys here that like fishing minnows with flyrods.
I would think that vintage glass rods are perfect for that technique. I never got into the minnows. I couldn't afford them as a kid. I did fish live hoppers and beetles.

Post 14 Jun 2018, 13:58 • #6 
Master Guide
I also like Daiwa fly rods----I have Daiwa 5344--Regal Series--semi-transparent rod bland--7 1/2'--6 wt.--foam grip. This rod cast very nicely. I too believe that they are underrated. Fish it and enjoy. Should make a good pond (bass/panfish) rod.
Gary

New Topic Add Reply