It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:42

New Topic Add Reply
Bamboo question
Post 08 Dec 2017, 00:14 • #1 
Guide
This isn't a glass question, but I am hoping some of you are also bamboo lovers and can help me with a question. I was lucky enough to win a 6'6" 2/3wt quad bamboo rod built by John Irgens tonight at my local T.U. Holiday Banquet. I had never heard of John Irgens before, but I have found out that he was from Rice Lake, WI and is now deceased. Not that I know much about bamboo, but the rod looks to be beautifully made. But I am wondering if anyone has any other info about Mr. Irgens or his rods. Are they looked at favorably by bamboo aficionados? What kind of value would you place on it? Oh, and is there anything special I need to do to a bamboo rod to keep it in good shape? Thanks for any info you can give!

Re: Bamboo question
Post 08 Dec 2017, 11:09 • #2 
Master Guide
Never heard of Irgens, but if you mean by "quad" the rod has 4 rather than 6 sides, its a relative rarity and, if otherwise well made and if it casts well. may have some value above the usual rod.

As to taking care of it, never put it away wet and watch the varnish. If it shows a crack, get a redo. If water gets inside a boo rod, it'll rot internally and you won't know its happening until it snaps in two. That concern is the reason I've been hesitant to buy older bamboo rods unless they are impregnated.

Post 08 Dec 2017, 11:15 • #3 
Master Guide
Probably a local builder, as long as its well crafted with a good taper and ferrules it should make a great fishing rod.

Post 08 Dec 2017, 23:46 • #4 
Master Guide
From the bamboo forum:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... ns#p508651

Post 08 Dec 2017, 23:51 • #5 
Guide
Thanks everyone! That's a lot more info than I knew. I had no idea that his rods were sold at Bob Mitchell's; I worked there for 12 years and we never sold them while I was there... I haven't had a line on the rod yet, but by waggling it in my living room it seems like I am going to like it. Should make a great brook trout rod.

Post 09 Dec 2017, 07:16 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
You should do a little digging on the Classic Rod Forum about care of cane rods. Some of the basics are:
1. don't store the rod in its tube when it's wet, wipe off then let it dry in its sock until thoroughly dry
2. don't twist when putting the sections together or taking apart
3. don't overflex the rod when fighting or landing a big fish
4. make sure the ferrules are seated all the way together when assembling
5. keep the ferrules clean inside and out

Post 09 Dec 2017, 08:43 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Quads are not rare. I have owned 26 from 23 different makers over the years. This fellow I have never heard of. But that said, there are a ton of hobbyist makers out there making few rods for the market.

Post 09 Dec 2017, 13:56 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
And "hobbiest" doesn't necessarily mean amateur.

New Topic Add Reply