It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:51

New Topic Add Reply
San Fran Custom Build
Post 06 Dec 2017, 23:46 • #1 
Master Guide
Just acquired this rod. 9', 6wt custom build labeled 'San Francisco Flyfishers Supply'. It's a black hollow glass with maroon wraps and seems to be really nicely done. Came with a Harding sock (custom fly rod sock company from Southern Oregon named Harding and Sons) and a custom black plastic tube with screw end cap. Feels like a graphite rod. Very light and fast. Has anybody ever seen one of these or know anything about the make and reputation of the rod or desirability? Was this the name of fly shop in SF that changed their name or closed? I can't find anything on the net...maybe this isn't the place to ask, since it has some level of graphite.

Thanks,
Sandman

Last edited by Sandman on 09 Dec 2017, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 00:38 • #2 
Master Guide
Definitely graphite, and looks to me like an offshore build, very similar to a couple of Taiwanese rods built on IM6 blanks I had many years ago built on IM6 blanks. Probably a good fisher with minimal value.
Shrimpy

Post 07 Dec 2017, 12:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The Flyfishers Supply fly shop was owned by Doug Mateo and located in the "outer Richmond " district of San Francisco on Clement Street. Not a long lived business, but it got some of mine. I haven't seen Doug for sometime, but he did have some items built for his shop with that logo, rods, fly boxes, some clothing. I am not sure who did his rods. I bought a 9' 5wt from him for around $70.00, a year or so ago I gave it to a beginner fly caster as a starter rod.
Respectfully rvreclus

Looking through some old papers I think Doug used St Croix blanks for his shop rods and sold them for around $120.00

Post 07 Dec 2017, 19:16 • #4 
Master Guide
rvreclus has the shop and owner right. Doug Matteo, the owner, had rods finished on various blanks, including some very good ones. The guy who did many of them was Ed Miller, and this rod looks like it could be his work, which was quite good.

Post 08 Dec 2017, 12:42 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks all, for the info...that really helps...I'm not a big fan of really fast rods, but this one seems really nicely done.
Sandman

Post 08 Dec 2017, 12:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Sandman, what about the rod assures you it is glass? Labeling? butt diameter and overall dimensions of the blank? I hoped we'd get great info from our west coast members, and sure enough. Possibly the approximate dates of that business will rule this out, but 9' for 6 line was an uncommon configuration for 'glass at the approximate time that seems likely, and 9' for 6 line was a common configuration if the shop was operating early in the fly-fishing boom of the 1970s and the onset of the graphite era. As others have observed, if it is black and feels like graphite, it probably walks and talks like a duck. It could still be an excellent rod, just not fiberglass.

Post 08 Dec 2017, 13:02 • #7 
Master Guide
Whirlpool, my remedial knowledge of rod composite is likely shining through in my comments...I assumed all graphite rods were some combination of fiberglass and graphite (amongst other materials), so that is why I called it hollow glass (with graphite)...sounds like I may be incorrect in my nomenclature and/or assumption...my apologies....certainly am thankful for the help I received...am learning...

Sandman

New Topic Add Reply