It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:41

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Lubricating Ferrules
Post 05 Dec 2017, 13:28 • #1 
Guide
Having just had a stuck ferrule on the upper two sections of my FF75-4 and taking a day to get them back apart, what are the pros and cons of lubricating ferrules? Have never done so before but now considering it. Comments?

Re: Lubricating Ferrules
Post 05 Dec 2017, 13:33 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Soft bar soap. Cleans off easily and doesn't build up or collect a lot of dirt.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 14:09 • #3 
Piscator
gulf-wax on spigot ferrules - clean first with denatured alcohol (q-tip in the female)
nothing on metal

Post 05 Dec 2017, 14:26 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Some Fenwick rods say right on them to "lubricate with paraffin" (Gulf Wax) like suggested by Bulldog.

Fenwick rods are sleeve over ferrules which I wax, I don't wax any of my spigots which was what was recommended by the manufacturers/builders.

Nothing on metal.

No problems with anything.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 14:46 • #5 
Guide
Glass wears against glass so lubrication helps prevent that. I think it's particularly important on spigot ferrules where wear to the male spigot will ultimately result in a bad fit. I see too many older Winstons and Scotts with that problem. Prevent wear by cleaning the ferrule occasionally with a soft cloth (alcohol if you want) to remove tiny bits of lint or dirt. Run a few pencil strokes of paraffin down the ferrule. Reassemble with a twist to distribute the paraffin.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 15:09 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
What about metal that is a touch loose?Any way to snug them up just a hair?

Post 05 Dec 2017, 15:25 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
the hersh wrote:

Beeswax which is tacky was the old standby for loose metal ferrules.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 15:43 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Bamboozle wrote:
the hersh wrote:

Yes. Beeswax works well.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 15:45 • #9 
Guide
Lubricate - paraffin. Looseness - beeswax.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 18:05 • #10 
Master Guide
Agree with Yoter45.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 18:17 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
We're talking about fly fishing here. Land of the $100 nippers. We should probably use the finest ski wax. Only $140 for a 30 gram bit.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 18:48 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I can see tip-sections being launched along with the flies! :-)

Post 06 Dec 2017, 19:36 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
thanks everyone,i happen to have about 10lbs of bees wax and some chapstick tubes.That ski wax,i used to spray flurocarbon on parts at a factory when in high school.Never knew it was so pricey.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 10:08 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
If you can find it;
http://u-40.com/ferrulelube.html

Post 07 Dec 2017, 19:43 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Apparently U-40 Ferrule Lube is no longer made by Trondak but Renzetti has a version that is identical and/or they bought the remaining Trondak inventory & recipe.

Based on your recommendation I ordered some of the Renzetti stuff to try.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 21:54 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Orvis sells paraffin in small flat cylindrical containers. You can also buy a lifetime's worth in the grocery store over where the canning supplies are. I was interested in reading the comments about bee's wax. Never heard that nugget before. Would you recommend it over paraffin for metal ferrules?

Post 08 Dec 2017, 06:21 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
As a general proposition for any ferrule type, keeping the ferrule clean and checking its snugness periodically while fishing is more important than any form of lubrication. Lubrication invites overtightening, and if too much is applied, retention of grit. Or the lubrication that enabled it to seem to slide together more easily also enables it to twist or slide apart more readily. In actual use, there is no movement between well fit ferrule surfaces, which mate and act as one, so no lube is required. In other words, lube is an assembly or protective function. Paraffin is soft and decreases fiction, but has low film strength. Bees wax is hard and slightly tacky; it has a much higher film strength and actually increases grip between surfaces. Thus, either has its pitfalls.

Bees wax was used to tighten metal ferrules. Too much could make them fit so tightly they might come apart, or the ferrule itself would part from the rod upon disassembly. It is a temporary measure for a poor metal ferrule fit. Then the ferrule itself should be replaced, kept clean, and assembled with a firm, continuous pressure until it "bottoms"/seats. Lubricating a good fitting metal ferrule, depending on the viscosity of the lubricant used, will just let it twist and work loose. Then the user keeps needing to push and reseat, disassemble and reseat, (picking up debris in the process) in a vicious cycle that wears the ferrule further.

Paraffin is recommended by some makers, as in Fenwick. Cleanliness and proper assembly/disassembly are more important if paraffin is to serve its function. The risk with paraffin is that its lubricity enables what feels like a smooth fit that is actually tighter than need be between the conical (not cylindrical as in metal ferrules) mating surfaces.

Beeswax was also recommended by some, notably Winston for the spigots on its Fisher-supplied 'glass blanks. Beeswax creates a smooth, grippy film. If too much is applied, the user may wind up forcing the sections too tight to replicate the gap observed before the beeswax was applied. Another way to damage the female section. Again, cleanliness and proper assembly are more important and necessary for beeswax to serve its protective function.

As in many applications of "lubricant," which is really acting as a protective film for nonsliding surfaces when used on ferrules, it is very easy to put on too much. It is almost impossible to apply too little. An old tip from a member years ago might be helpful--after ensuring that the ferrule surfaces are clean and free of grit. Fingertip warmth and leather pad with the preferred type of "lube" wiped into it, then wiped/polished in the male, all excess removed.

Even this is less important than cleanliness and assembly. Metal: continuous pressure of cylindrical mating surfaces, applied smoothly until the ferrule seats. Glass-to-glass (conical mating surfaces), slide on--little pressure required--until the surfaces engage. Push snug.
viewtopic.php?p=214110#p214110

Post 08 Dec 2017, 06:22 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I use paraffin. I use it sparingly. I don't use it to improve the fit. I use it to insure against the ferrule locking.

Post 08 Dec 2017, 11:35 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
whrlpool wrote:
As a general proposition for any ferrule type, keeping the ferrule clean and checking its snugness periodically while fishing is more important than any form of lubrication.

This ^^^^.

I make a habit of checking the fit of my ferrules often. Considering most non bamboo rods I own have spigot ferrules and many of those male spigots are not made of exactly the same material as the rod blank and are only a few inches long; it is expecting a lot that one joint or another won't loosen with the constant flex of fly casting.

I don't lube spigots (manufacturer/builder recommendation) and maybe that's why I experience occasional loose joints, but stuck joints isn't a frequent or difficult enough problem to get me to change my ways.

I will add that I have only experienced one rod in my lifetime with a completely shot ferrule. It was a 1st generation Fenwick HMG that I owned, loved and cared for (waxed ferrule) but sold in perfect condition to a self-professed tackle abuser.

When I saw it years later, the ferrule was shot however I don't know if it was from wear or a damage.

However I bet if I never sold it it would still be OK, waxed or not.

YMMV

Post 08 Dec 2017, 14:38 • #20 
Master Guide
I fish a 3 wt Winston/Fisher blanked rod that needs a periodical beeswax treatment to maintain ferrule gap clearance. I should maybe send it into Winston to see what if anything they can do but for a 40 yr old rod that has had the guides worn out and rebuilt twice before I bought the rod I really don't want to risk the mojo that little 3wt has built up over time. It's old, it's plain as hell but it's a fish catchin' sweetheart.

Post 08 Dec 2017, 18:55 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Taeke wrote:
I fish a 3 wt Winston/Fisher blanked rod that needs a periodical beeswax treatment to maintain ferrule gap clearance. I should maybe send it into Winston to see what if anything they can do but for a 40 yr old rod that has had the guides worn out and rebuilt twice before I bought the rod I really don't want to risk the mojo that little 3wt has built up over time. It's old, it's plain as hell but it's a fish catchin' sweetheart.

I found a used rod with a male ferrule that was too thin. I used epoxy that I wiped off clean. I allowed the thin film to cure and repeated the procedure time after time. Afterwards, I buffed a spot with fine grit sandpaper. I touched it with a little parrafin and fished it for about 6 years until I sold it. Worked fine. I didn't use bee's wax.

Post 08 Dec 2017, 23:35 • #22 
Master Guide
I use ivory soap. I had never had a problem until recently. Same rod as yours, FF75-4, the middle two sections have been stuck together for going on a month. Very frustrating.

Post 08 Dec 2017, 23:37 • #23 
Master Guide
Bamboozle wrote:
the hersh wrote:

I'll second that. Beeswax worked wonders on an Orvis Madison cane rod I had.

Post 11 Dec 2017, 08:15 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
This is an interesting read. It's good to see the comments regarding different waxes and soap.
I'm also glad that nobody's recommended nose oil. Is this just a local thing I see in Pennsylvania? Is this common among the fishermen where you live? Are you a proponent for the use of nose oil?

Post 11 Dec 2017, 08:17 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
scud dog wrote:
This is an interesting read. It's good to see the comments regarding different waxes and soap.
I'm also glad that nobody's recommended nostril oil. Is this just a local thing I see in Pennsylvania? Is this common among the fishermen where you live?

Don't know if common, but it's what I was taught as a boy in Maine. Had to be from the nose; too much salt if taken from the forehead etc.

Where can one buy Ivory soap these days? It seems to have disappeared from supermarkets here in Colorado.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply