It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:41

New Topic Add Reply
Mystery rod
Post 03 Dec 2017, 20:35 • #1 
Sport
Anyone have any idea who made this? It’s 8 1/2 foot and has no markings left.

Re: Mystery rod
Post 03 Dec 2017, 21:21 • #2 
Master Guide
That ferrule looks Phillipson. I'd guess an Orvis kit rod from the early 70s.

Post 03 Dec 2017, 23:31 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Yup, Phillipson.

Post 04 Dec 2017, 19:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Based on blank color and lack of brass female ferrule ring it is an Orvis Fullflex Orvis A blank (not Phillipson).

A kit rod based on the wraps.

Last edited by jeffsod on 05 Dec 2017, 06:58, edited 2 times in total.

Post 04 Dec 2017, 20:12 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
The OP asked who make it. Phillipson made it.

Post 04 Dec 2017, 20:13 • #6 
Sport
Agree - Fullflex "A" kit rod

Post 04 Dec 2017, 21:24 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Folks, I never can keep straight which Orvis models were made by Phillipson and which went by similar names and looked similar once Orvis manufactured their own. Don't have time to research it. I can't see it in the photo--it may be there, but isn't the Phillipson telltale signature the metal ferrule ring, or is the sleeve ferrule alone sufficient to i.d. it as a Phillipson made blank? Unmarked kit rod, but what are the characteristics that make it a Phillipson (even if branded for Orvis) for sure? Thanks for saving my tired brain a search here, as I know it has been discussed before. I figure it is worth refreshing the point for the OP anyhow.

Post 04 Dec 2017, 22:18 • #8 
Sport
Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on how to determine what weight it is? There are no markings on the rod. If I had to guess I would guess 7/8, but I really don't know if that was an option for this rod.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 05:31 • #9 
Sport
I think the FullFlex "A" came in two sizes and don't offhand know the specific weights. If I were to guess, the lighter of the two would be right around 4oz's and be a 6wt. I did know someone who claimed to have an 8' Fullflex "A" that were heavier than the one's i've had, but never actually saw the rod. He claimed his like a 7/8wt line.

Jason

Post 05 Dec 2017, 05:42 • #10 
Sport
Just my opinion but I don't think Phillipson made these. We know that Phillipson made the earlier Golden Eagle and mustard yellow 1st gen Fullflex's but think it's been established that these Fullflex "A's" were some of the first rods Orvis was making on their own. They certainly borrowed some design elements from Phillipson (the swelled ferrule minus the ring) but on close-up inspection of the blank material itself there are differences in color and weave pattern. Phillipson glass was white under their trademark colors - these are naturally brown - almost a Fisher brown. The stripped "nude" Phillipson I have from the early 70's doesn't resemble this. I've had three of these Fullflex "A's" over the years (two built and one blank) and they also do not cast much like a Phillipson's Royal Wand's or Epoxite's either.

Jason

Post 05 Dec 2017, 07:11 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Even back in the Paleolithic Era, Orvis would've likely had their own tapers irregardless of who made the blanks? Would they have simply re-badged a Phillipson blank? I also have seen a massive collection of Orvis glass rods. I recall Fullflex A in 7' 5wt, 7'6" 6wt, 8' 7wt and 8’ + 8’6” 8wt. I bought a few Fullflex A. He wouldn't sell any Golden Eagles... I also had a new 6' 6wt in a yellow blank that I sold. My hunch is it would be a great canoe rod. Trying to figure this out through these photos is kinda crazy. Close ups of the ferrule sections may help...
What's does the inner ferrule look like?

Post 05 Dec 2017, 07:42 • #12 
I believe this is a Fullflex A kit rod or a Phillipson equivalent to the Fullflex A. If you guys recall, I posted a couple of weeks ago my find in the basement of my house. After a bit of detective work, along with my 1978 Orvis catalog, it was determined I had a 7' 5 weight Fullflex A kit rod. The question mark is that in the catalog they talked about the kit rod being amber, while mine is the darker, just like "Iubek" posted.
To answer his question, the catalog calls mine a 5 weight (7') and the poster's rod,being 8' 6" is a 3 1/2 oz, 8 weight. Mine was actually marked 5 weight by the builder, matching up with the catalog. I'm suspecting Phillipson went to the darker shade blank after 1978.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 09:38 • #13 
Sport
Thanks for the information and feedback. I will post some additional photos this evening. A few of the larger eyes are a little loose. Does anyone have any suggestions for who might be good to put new wraps on the rod?

Post 06 Dec 2017, 10:59 • #14 
Master Guide
OK, I'll switch from Phillipson to Fullflex A kit. I have one. Same color, same ferrule etc., 8' (maybe 8.5) 8 wt. I'll guarantee it doesn't cast like a Phillipson.

Post 06 Dec 2017, 12:11 • #15 
Piscator
Fullflex A

New Topic Add Reply