It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:01

New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson X80
Post 26 Nov 2017, 00:52 • #1 
Master Guide
All, I have a chance to buy this Phillipson X80HDH for $25. I couldn't find this exact model in this forum and I've never owned a Phillipson, though I'd like to try one. Is this a well thought of model and a fair market price? No sock or tube, but does appear in good condition. I don't want to rebuild one.

Thanks,
Sandman

Last edited by Sandman on 09 Dec 2017, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Phillipson X80
Post 26 Nov 2017, 07:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It's not the top shelf Phillipson but if it's in good condition it's easily worth more than $25.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 08:50 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
If you want to try one, you should be all over that like a bluegill on a popping bug.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 09:03 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
If I recall, that's an eponite blank. It's a very reasonable price for trying out a Phillipson rod.

Post 27 Nov 2017, 12:43 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
It is a great early rod. I have several X series Phillipsons. According to the paperwork that I was able to view at Rick's Rods, the X series was offered from 1956 to 1958ish. They were offered in 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 and 9 foot lengths. They are an eponite blank, and the ones I have seen have a cigar shaped grip. The blank is like a swirled butterscotch candy color. They are a favorite of mine. The action is a little slower/softer than the later S and T series. $25 is a steal if you are looking for this kind of rod.

Post 27 Nov 2017, 13:36 • #6 
Master Guide
All, thank you so much for the info and thoughts, particularly to Bloodhound for the detailed info. I enjoy the slower rods. Am in the process of buying it now. If it doesn't fit well in my arsenal, I'll offer it up on this site.

Sandman

Post 29 Nov 2017, 08:40 • #7 
Piscator
I think all 8' Phillipsons are nice rods. Great trout rods, and a couple of friends caught river stripers on the same rod.
It was the only 6-wt Eric had to take out.

Post 06 Dec 2017, 23:04 • #8 
Master Guide
Guys, thought I'd follow up with some photos of the rod. I got a chance to throw a 6w in the lawn and really enjoyed the casting of this rod. A bit slower than I am use to, but didn't take long to get the rhythm of the rod and loved the slow smoothness once I did.

It shows some use, but overall in very good condition for nearly 70 years old. All the ferrules and wraps are straight and tight. The glass looks like the same type of composite in Tobacco glass (but what do I know) except quite a bit lighter in color, like butterscotch.

Thanks again for the help...I'm glad I got (especially for $25 and no shipping cost since it was bundled with and FF805 and a 1962 PLS70, which were my main targets in this purchase)...there are plenty of trout streams I can use this rod on...it's a keeper for me..

Sandman

Last edited by Sandman on 09 Dec 2017, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 00:12 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Those Eponite blanks really are beautiful. They are phenolic resin and that one is still bright (they darken with exposure to sunshine). It has been tastefully rewrapped and cleaned up.

If you are used to a fast rod, adjusting to an eponite rod takes some patience. The swing weight is a bit more and you need to slow down and let the rod do it's thing.
I actually fish my eponite 8' rod more than my FF805. The FF805 has a lot more competition as a 5wt dryfly and small nymph rod. The Eponite is a great 6 wt for streamers, large flies and poppers.

Post 09 Dec 2017, 18:43 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Sandman, a lot of people (myself included) fish Phillipsons with a line weight lighter. My 706 and 766 Phillipsons are my go to 5wts on smaller waters​. They're good with a variety of lines. I'm using DT5s.
Judging by the pics and your comments you got a great deal.

Post 09 Dec 2017, 20:40 • #11 
Master Guide
The guy I bought the PLS70 sock/tube, FF805 sock/tube, San Francisco Fishers Supply custom build graphite sock/tube (other post) and this 8' Phillipson X80 (all for $100 plus shipping), also threw in two of these MC56 reels loaded with lines. One came with a 6wt with sinking tip and one with a 6wt floating...It seemed to throw just fine with a 6wt, but I still need to try a 5wt on this rod...I have a 1494 loaded to try...
Sandman

Post 10 Dec 2017, 05:51 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
You done good, young man, you done very very good. My only worry is that the Fenwick triangular tube with both caps intact could be missing from the Smithsonian or some State Museum of Science and Technology. It looks quite straight, suggesting it has been in ideal curatorial conditions. You would think by now it would have been warped like a tin roof from sitting in blazing sun in a hot car.

There are not many like that out there. Plenty of lost/broken-off caps are out there, but no one knows just where, other than a few layers of digging down to the Plastics Revolution era. I would check the FBI SOL (Stolen or Lost) Artifact list. Nobody finds a Fenwick with both caps, even digging two feet deep into an alluvial cut bank or dredging six feet of muck from the littoral zone. A backhoe on a sandbar won't come up with one either.

Great gear, great price. Just don't let a Lawman see you with a straight Fenwick tube with both its caps. Legitimate private ownership of such a thing is highly suspicious. Throw away one cap, warp that thing like a licorice stick in scorching sun on the rear deck of your car, and you can relax and enjoy that gear for a long time.

New Topic Add Reply