It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:25

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Nov 2017, 00:15 • #1 
Inactive
Searched the forum and wiki for info. Hoping to get a sense of fair market value for a Garcia Conolon 5 Star 2402A fly rod. 7' "Dry fly action". Says rated for a 6wt. line but clearly loves a 5wt in my hands. Any idea value wise? Save for some cork soiling rod is in excellent condition. Sock, but no tube. Any info appreciated, Thanks.

Last edited by dpenrod on 26 Nov 2017, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 01:06 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The last three 2400 series 5 stars on ebay went for $50-$90. It seems the price of these has come down since I collected some a few years ago. I like the old blue ones that I coveted as a kid, and one of them went for $7.50

Post 26 Nov 2017, 08:48 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That will make a nice rod for somebody and is a good example of the type--a wheelhouse configuration of the material as used in its heyday. Not especially valuable, though. They can be enhanced through a cosmetic and hardware rebuild/upgrade, but are just as valuable used as knockabouts exactly as they are. A reasonable price would be between 25 and 50 dollars. Yard sale, ten bucks. If I stumbled on one at a garage sale, I might buy it, but not to sell for a few dollars more, just to have a short all purpose rod a little different from a couple I have now.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 09:00 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds about right. With an original sock, $100 still sounds expensive right now. If it were an 8'6" rod, the price would drop dramatically. These rods are not given the love they deserve. The problem is there are so many other Conolon rods out there that are not as special, the short 5star's seem to get overlooked.

I would split the difference between Whirlpool's and Newfydog's estimates. Whirlpool is quoting wholesale and Newfydog is quoting retail :). It is a 7' 6wt which makes it a nice configuration and rarer. The sock helps too for any collector.

Is that the staggered ferrule version?

Post 26 Nov 2017, 09:01 • #5 
Inactive
whrlpool wrote:
That will make a nice rod for somebody and is a good example of the type--a wheelhouse configuration of the material as used in its heyday. Not especially valuable, though. They can be enhanced through a cosmetic and hardware rebuild/upgrade, but are just as valuable used as knockabouts exactly as they are. A reasonable price would be between 25 and 50 dollars. Yard sale, ten bucks. If I stumbled on one at a garage sale, I might buy it, but not to sell for a few dollars more, just to have a short all purpose rod a little different from a couple I have now.

Thanks pool. Not actually looking to sell. Just picked it up at my local shop. After the fact, but got to wondering whether or not I overpaid. Actually really like this little rod and it will see some use as my hopper/big dry rod in the trout parks come spring time.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 09:08 • #6 
Inactive
carlz wrote:
Sounds about right. With an original sock, $100 still sounds expensive right now. If it were an 8'6" rod, the price would drop dramatically. These rods are not given the love they deserve. The problem is there are so many other Conolon rods out there that are not as special, the short 5star's seem to get overlooked.

I would split the difference between Whirlpool's and Newfydog's estimates. Whirlpool is quoting wholesale and Newfydog is quoting retail :). It is a 7' 6wt which makes it a nice configuration and rarer. The sock helps too for any collector.

Is that the staggered ferrule version?

Stainless steel? spigot ferrule

Post 26 Nov 2017, 09:25 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
There were some where the tip section is longer than the butt section. It makes them less convenient for transport, but I like the action on those a touch more.

Those Conolon rods fall into the category of great fishing rods that you can still get cheap.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 10:05 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
We used to have a wonderful Conolon expert here. The rods are a complicated pot-pourri, and I think they are not so popular because of that---few can sort the gems from the others. He said this of the 2400 series rods back in 2008:

"Now we get into the 2400 series originally the gold four star rods that morfed into the DL five star line. Available as the 2402. In all issues a true 6wt at 7ft. These rods from 1970-end of production used the patient Garica internal stainless steel male furrule into the female tip section. Sort a unique way to reinvent the wheel. The big point is that this rod is based on a much different mandrel and master blank and at least for me, this whole 2400 series is my favorite lightweight conolon set of rods. That includes the 2404 at 8ft again still a true 6wt. On these two rods its very easy to drop down to a 5wt line. You can expect to pay for a 1970-1978 version anywhere from $100 up depending on condition, everybody who knows Garcia glass is on the lookout for these rods."

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5537

Again, I think the price of these has come down now that glass is available in so many forms.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 12:39 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Whatever they are worth in dollars, I would not sell my 2404 8fter. Is one of the smoothest rods I have., and probably has got wetter than any other rod I own the last two years. Pictures of yours??

Post 26 Nov 2017, 13:25 • #10 
Inactive
majicwrench wrote:
Whatever they are worth in dollars, I would not sell my 2404 8fter. Is one of the smoothest rods I have., and probably has got wetter than any other rod I own the last two years. Pictures of yours??

I’ll try to get some up. Photobucket no longer works for me so will have to find an easy alternative.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 15:42 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
https://postimages.org/

Soooo much better than photob

Post 26 Nov 2017, 16:16 • #12 
Inactive

Post 26 Nov 2017, 17:33 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Does it have the fiberglass spigot ferrule? Those are pretty nice. I have an 8wt that is my favorite bass bugging rod.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 17:42 • #14 
Inactive
jeffsod wrote:
Does it have the fiberglass spigot ferrule? Those are pretty nice. I have an 8wt that is my favorite bass bugging rod.

stainless steel spigot

Post 27 Nov 2017, 06:42 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Those are very nice too. I believe they came just before the glass spigot. You just have to be careful on keeping the inside clean as the SS will wear down the glass faster than a glass on glass. I had the 8ft 6wt for a while of this rod. Very good action.

Post 27 Nov 2017, 10:29 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I don't feel they wear any faster then a glass spigot, maybe less so.. Mine has been used and abused by me, and was fished hard before I got it, and the ferrule gap is fine. I have never cleaned it.

Post 27 Nov 2017, 10:43 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
That is good to hear Magicwrench. I was going based on what has been discussed here in the past. I didn't own mine long enough to make an assessment.

Post 27 Nov 2017, 17:55 • #18 
Master Guide
Sounds like a fun rod, if I came across one I'd probably take it home.

New Topic Add Reply