It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:21

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick FF75
Post 17 Nov 2017, 22:52 • #1 
Guide
I have a FF75 which has the decal with the registration number torn. The numbers are 45724 but the letter prefix is missing. Does anyone have an idea what the letter prefix may be? Just want to satisfy my curiosity as to when it was built. Thanks.

Re: Fenwick FF75
Post 18 Nov 2017, 00:13 • #2 
Master Guide
Without the letter prefix, the only way to narrow down a date is by cosmetic clues. Can you post any images of the rod, tube, sock?

Post 18 Nov 2017, 14:47 • #3 
Guide
Don't have photo capability right now, but rod has the original green plaid sock and metal tube with Fenwick Westminster, CA sticker on it. The obvious difference from my four other newer Fenwicks is that the model, rod length and rod weight are in black ink script rather than a sticker. I would think there would be a date when they made that change, no? But I have not run across it. Does that help any? Am I also correct in Assuming that the rods were continuously numbered from 1960 to 1981, so the lower the number the older the rod? Seems to apply for the rods I have.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 16:48 • #4 
Master Guide
The number indicates the rod's place in that year's production run, I think. The green plaid sock and Westminster address puts your FF75 from somewhere in the late '60s. My green Fenwick rod socks seem to start around '66-'67.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 16:54 • #5 
Sport
BlackHackle wrote:
Don't have photo capability right now, but rod has the original green plaid sock and metal tube with Fenwick Westminster, CA sticker on it. The obvious difference from my four other newer Fenwicks is that the model, rod length and rod weight are in black ink script rather than a sticker. I would think there would be a date when they made that change, no? But I have not run across it. Does that help any? Am I also correct in Assuming that the rods were continuously numbered from 1960 to 1981, so the lower the number the older the rod? Seems to apply for the rods I have.

Fenwick moved to Westminster, CA in July 1967, where they remained until moving to Huntington Beach, CA in 1990. Don't think you can determine the date of manufacture by the numeric serial # only, since according to Vic Johnson "blocks of serial #s were assigned to each (assembly) plant".
I have a FF75 with the serial # I94077 (the first digit being a capital i, not a one) - if that helps any.

Post 19 Nov 2017, 07:43 • #6 
Master Guide
Lunker75 and zimfly are right about serial number; there is no year to year distinction there. You can't gauge date by bag and tube and have no way to know whether they are original to that rod. I'm sure i am not the only person who has discarded a ratty nylon bag and plastic Fenwick tube for an earlier cloth bag and aluminum tube to protect a favored rod. You can get some sense of date by the diamond wrap at the butt, but we would need photos or a detailed description to judge.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 22:40 • #7 
Guide
There are three full diamond wraps with half diamonds at each end. Length is 2.25 inches from hook keeper wrap to end of the wrap. Looks like it is made from about 1/32 inch cord.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 00:28 • #8 
Master Guide
Does the wrap look something like the top rod in this photo?

https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1/yk/ba426 ... 14aba0.jpg

Post 25 Nov 2017, 14:45 • #9 
Guide
Wrap looks like the bottom of the three rods pictured, thinner than the top one pictured. Script is in black ink rather than white if that helps any.

Post 02 Dec 2017, 18:10 • #10 
Master Guide
That bottom rod is a G built in Long Beach. Can't tell much by the script, that top one in the photo is the youngest, a K, while the middle one is a J. Just like with tubes and socks, the labeling seemed to be a factor of when supply ran out. My guess is you have an H or I rod built 68-70.

Post 03 Dec 2017, 02:34 • #11 
Guide
Close enough for me. Thank you for your help. The rod casts small beadheads and dries well. Handles 3-4 pound trout easily and is one of my rods used fishing small streams under the trees. Love my Fenwicks!

New Topic Add Reply