It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Sep 2017, 08:32 • #1 
I recently purchased an 8' Conolon F-80 fly rod ( Costa Mesa made) and I can't seem to find any information as to what weight reel and line it was designed to use. I suspect that it in the 4 to 6 weight range due to the fact that it has no fighting butt , but I'm pretty new to fly fishing and have a lot to learn. Are there any Conolon experts out there ?? Please help . BTW is this rod very valuable or collectible ? Please advise.

1BassMaster

Post 20 Sep 2017, 09:45 • #2 
Master Guide
flyfishing4goldentrout, the true Narmco/Conolon expert had reported in an earlier thread the following:

"The F-80, is a late Namrco Conolon Costa Mesa rod from between 1957 and 1959, if it has the black plastic reel seat its a last year 1959. Line weight should be a modern DT7 This model was at or near the bottom of their quality, it would be about the same as the later Garcia Conolon Blue two star series. Sense the blanks were pretty much the same for the conolon 7wts, about the only difference was fit and finish."

Enjoy your Narmco. If you get the chance, photos are always good.

Post 20 Sep 2017, 10:49 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
standman wrote:
This model was at or near the bottom of their quality, it would be about the same as the later Garcia Conolon Blue two star series..

Don't let that bother you---I love fishing those cheaper blue rods.

Post 20 Sep 2017, 11:08 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It isn't valuable monetarily; its value is as a knockabout fly rod for panfish or bass, 7-weight being a very versatile all-round line weight, and thought of that way in this rod's time.

Post 20 Sep 2017, 11:34 • #5 
Thank you to all who replied to my inquiry. I actually mounted a Ross Worldwide #4 7/8 reel to this rod and tried it this morning ,and found it a bit heavy over all , but it performed well. I'm thinking about using it for steelhead fishing , what do you think??

Post 20 Sep 2017, 14:52 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Go for it, when we were kid's in the 60's and 70's we used whatever 8ft 7wt we could find for steelhead.

New Topic Add Reply