It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:11

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Sep 2017, 09:23 • #1 
Inactive
Hey guys,

Well, I think I'm officially becoming a glass head. Yesterday I realized that I'm officially fishing more glass than graphite, and when I'm fishing graphite I'm finding even softer models to be too stiff. I've been lucky enough to get some great deals on some glass rods, and as many of you may be able to relate, I'm finding myself looking out for even more rods. That said, I can't be dropping a couple hundred bucks every time something peeks my interest.

So in short, what are some classic models and sizes that I may be able to find online for cheaper prices? I fish a lot of different trout water, the biggest being the Upper Delaware.

Thanks!

Post 11 Sep 2017, 09:28 • #2 
Master Guide
If you like fishing 8' 5wt rods, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better value than a Fenwick FF805.

Post 11 Sep 2017, 10:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'm by no means an expert on classic glass (most of my glass rods are modern), but to expand a bit on Robert's suggestion, I would suggest that you look at the old Fenwicks, among others. There's almost always a bunch listed on Ebay. Some of the BIN listings seem quite overpriced, but many are sold in the auction format. And many are sold through the classified section here at what seem like quite reasonable prices. The Wikipage (there's a box on the right side of the main page near the top) has a great run down of the various Fenwick models and also has writeups on many other classic lines/models. As to the Fenwicks, I think it really depends on the particular rod, but my understanding is that in general the two digit FFs are slower/more deliberate than the three digit FFs. But you should have lots of choices is 5-8 wts between 7 1/2 - 8 1/2' feet. Good luck in your search.

Post 11 Sep 2017, 11:25 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Agree with Fenwick FF805 being fantastic but it's relatively harder to come by and slightly more expensive than most Fenwicks. The FF 756 has to be one of the all time favourites. It will cast anything from a 5 to 7 as it has a fine tip but very strong butt - it's an extremely versatile rod. Common and therefore usually very affordable.
In general the Fenwicks represent a very good price/performance tradeoff. You can find a lot of information in this forum on individual models.

Post 11 Sep 2017, 12:05 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
And don't overlook the Phillipson rods...there are still some great deals to be had on Phillipson and Fenwick rods as well as Heddon, Wright McGill and others

Post 11 Sep 2017, 13:57 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I got really lucky and my intro to classic glass consisted of Phillipson, Fenwick, and Fisher. The nice thing about all those three is you'll likely be able to pass them on via sale or trade to other FFR members if they don't suit you. I was able to sample quite a lot of vintage rods this way without spending as lot more than the shipping costs. And it's really really fun.

(PS - FF897 is the one I've held on to. Just sayin)

Post 11 Sep 2017, 18:02 • #7 
Master Guide
Cortland ProCrest or Fr2000 series are softer than Fenwicks in general, if you like soft and relaxed they may be for you.

Post 11 Sep 2017, 19:38 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I'm still looking for a ff805 myself, but I use the 806 and 807 all the time......I paid $38 and $45 for them. Best deals ever, classic for sure, and they work very well. I doubt anyone will find them that cheap, but twice the price would still be a good value.

Love that term " glasshead".

Post 11 Sep 2017, 20:45 • #9 
Master Guide
For 8' fly rods, the Fenwick FF79 and FF805 are sweet trout rods. The FF806 is a great all-rounder, and the FF807 is a great streamer rod.

Another favorite is the Cortland FR-2000 series. The 7.5' 5/6 rod was my first "quality" fly rod that I bought more than 40 years ago and it is the first rod I choose for swinging wet flies and small streamers.

I haven't fished an 8' Phillipson that I didn't love. Also the 6.5', 7', and 8.5' Phillipson's. And one 7.5' Phillipson (Orvis Power Flex).

Adding to the list:

Garcia Conolon. I have fished several that were very nice. My favorite is the 2025-B.

Browning Silaflex 3 and 2 series. Wonderful rods. Most prefer the 3 series, but don't discount the 2 series. However, probably not a rod for someone with smaller hands or who prefers a thinner grip.

Berkley Parametrics. I'm not fond of the grip on the Curt Gowdy series, but these are powerful rods.

Post 12 Sep 2017, 07:55 • #10 
Piscator
brockton wrote:
I got really lucky and my intro to classic glass consisted of Phillipson, Fenwick, and Fisher. The nice thing about all those three is you'll likely be able to pass them on via sale or trade to other FFR members if they don't suit you. I was able to sample quite a lot of vintage rods this way without spending as lot more than the shipping costs. And it's really really fun.

Aside from being great rods, they are liquid commodities.
I've been the twice owner of Para/metric, Phillipson, and Cummings rods - certainly Fisher/SA and Fenwick fit here, as well. They find an anxious market if you need cash to fund a project quickly. The rods I sold were offered back to me, and their interim caretakers asked first dibs if I decided to sell them again.
As the market goes, good venerable rods won't be made again, so the supply side of the equation is fixed.
People sometimes soapbox over the demand side, but everything irons out over time.

Phillipson rods I would be looking for are 6-1/2', 7' and 8', especially the DFS.
Heddon T (trout) tapers and Pro-Weights are a good choice.
On the very affordable side, I have a soft spot for Shakespeare and Berkley S-glass.
If an S/A System comes up, do not pass go.
In lighter rods, Cortland glass and Silaflex don't get a lot of discussion and you may find good sleeper buys.

Post 12 Sep 2017, 16:12 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
brockton wrote:

typo! I meant the FF807.

Bulldog's right - those well known brands are always in demand and you can usually turn them around pretty fast. Fish then while you've got them and then pass them on when you find something else you want to try!

There are a few that I've sold that I wish I'd hung on to, but the lure of trying something new would likely be too strong and I'd probably end up selling them again... there's a few rods left on my 'want to try' list.

Post 13 Sep 2017, 00:04 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
If you like slower rods, here are a few suggestions (most if not all have been mentioned).

Fenwick: your options are limited for slow rods, but there are some great rods.

FF84: This is the slowest Fenwick I can think of. A nice 8' 6" 5wt.
FF85-3 A 6wt

but if you are just a glass addict, FF755, FF806, FF70, FF79

Phillipson. You will have to find your own favorites. Eponite, Scotchply, Epoxite, 3m epoxite Bulldog recommended the best of them, but I also like the 8' 6" versions of the Epoxite blanks. Beside Phillipson branded models, look for LL Bean, Orvis, and many more. Even Leonard.

Cortland. There are a lot of good rods. The FR2000 is the most notable, but there are some really nice Crown models as well. Pay close attention to these. There are a lot of short-tip or damaged cortlands out there.

Heddon, There are some great heddon rods out there, but there are also some dogs.

Silaflex 222xxx or 322xxx rods

Have fun. Opening a mailing tube with a rod in it is one of the joys of life.

Post 13 Sep 2017, 07:33 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Carlz wrote: "Opening a mailing tube with a rod in it is one of the joys of life."

Truer words were never written!

Post 13 Sep 2017, 13:58 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Affordable....that's what is nice, they are all affordable, and can be turned later if you decide. I have bought dozens and dozens of rods, cast/fished em a few times, and passed em on.

So many rods, so little time...

Post 14 Sep 2017, 04:07 • #15 
Guide
If you home in on a few you really want to own or try out, definitely post in the "Fly Rods Wanted" forum here. I've been amazed at the specific requests that get responses. That special stick might just be languishing in another glass head's closet and just need to be mentioned to prompt a sale or trade.

Post 14 Sep 2017, 12:45 • #16 
Master Guide
DavidFin, where are located? I live in Berks County PA, have 5 Fenwicks and 1 Phillipson. You are welcome to lawn cast them.

Post 14 Sep 2017, 18:08 • #17 
Guide
Carl wrote "Have fun. Opening a mailing tube with a rod in it is one of the joys of life."

Well usually....
Fracture not noticed by the seller, who is not a rod dealer so is forgiven. Not shipping damage.

Was a 2pc 8' rod made for the Golden Gate Casting Club. From a rod dealer who usually ships safely but lost his mind on this one and shipped in an un reinforced CARDBOARD SLEEVE.

Favorite affordable (usually) cult classics short Wonderods.

Post 15 Sep 2017, 12:44 • #18 
Inactive
I live in North Jersey, but would love to cast anything I can get my hands on.

Thanks for all the responses guys. This thread helped me remember a time when I found a bin of Cortland and Fenwick rods, which I think were graphite, at a thrift store. Didn't pick up any of them! haha.

Actually, in a weird way this thread inspired me to finally bite the bullet an invest in Rod Building materials! Wish me luck.

Post 15 Sep 2017, 13:10 • #19 
Guide
David, what part of North Jersey..? Displaced West Milford/Greenwood Laker here.

Post 15 Sep 2017, 14:33 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
DavidFin wrote:

Actually, in a weird way this thread inspired me to finally bite the bullet an invest in Rod Building materials! Wish me luck.

Careful! It's a slippery slope and everyone on here is an enabler. I learned that the hard way. ;)

Post 15 Sep 2017, 15:06 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
If you are going to build your own and like glass on the slower side, you can Lamiglas blanks from the factory ~ $115.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 02:40 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
i'd definitely be on the lookout for an 8' 2pc Parametric! i love these rods
and this is my very favorite rod length in the series! it was the fist glass
rod longer than 7'9" that i loved (and still love). i'm a big fan of the Gowdy
version too. so much so, that i picked up a 2nd one as back up just in case.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 06:11 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Cult classic? Affordable? Lots to choose from but tops on my list: Hardy Sceptres from 7.5 - 9' -- all great rods IMO. Phillipsons 6.5' - 8' and Shakespeare Wonderrods, especially 5wts 7'9" and shorter.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 06:59 • #24 
Piscator
tonemike wrote:
i'd definitely be on the lookout for an 8' 2pc Parametric! i love these rods
and this is my very favorite rod length in the series! it was the fist glass
rod longer than 7'9" that i loved (and still love). i'm a big fan of the Gowdy
version too. so much so, that i picked up a 2nd one as back up just in case.

have you tried one of the 3-pc para/metrics? One I never got around to...

and don't look now (kidding, look fast), but there's a System 5 selling too cheaply on our own classifieds...

Post 02 Oct 2017, 12:00 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
i have a three piece berkley para... not gowdy, but same blank, different dressing. some like it as a 6wt, but i prefer a 7wt for warmwater fishing. it is versatile... handles dries, wets, streamers and my favorite bead-chain clousers. i had some pictures on the site until PB bombed them!

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply