It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Aug 2017, 20:56 • #1 
Sport
Hello Folks,
I have a nice little 7 foot 6 weight rod with the writing wearing off, and I'm hoping one of you experts could help identify the brand and possibly its age, based on the pics. It was suggested that it might be a Phillipson, but I'm uncertain. Here is what I can read on the rod: There is an "Acraglas" name on it, but I assume that's not the maker. The readable writing on the rod says: "234 oz. Line HDH HDG #6 Made in USA." There is something written before that, and it's too faded to be readable. Here are the pics:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jacob

Post 07 Aug 2017, 21:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, that is a Phillipson that looks like it might have been rewrapped at some point.

Post 07 Aug 2017, 22:11 • #3 
Guide
Agree with jeffsod, the lettering and grip look like a phillipson blank. Nice find!

Post 07 Aug 2017, 22:43 • #4 
Sport
Very good, thank you guys! I'm definitely eager to fish with it. Any suggestions on a reel pairing?

Post 08 Aug 2017, 05:41 • #5 
Piscator
A 4-5 oz reel would be just right. Medalist 1494,
I would use a 3" or 3-1/4" Young Beaudex/Pridex

Post 08 Jun 2020, 22:15 • #6 
Master Guide
Interesting...
The “Acraglas” logo on the Brownells Acraglas epoxy and the label on the rod are identical....

[ The use of PostImages is banned on this forum. Please refrain from using this spam host, and putting this forum and its members at risk of malware. ] I moved these photos so they wouldn't be lost. Tom

Here’s the ad copy:
“Brownells Acraglas® Epoxy enhances rifle accuracy by providing a stable, non-shrink bedding material for rifle stocks. Once hardened, Acraglas has tremendous strength and shock resistance, and will not crack, craze, or crystalize. Acraglas will adhere to nearly any surface. A super epoxy for fixing and mending, used by professional gunsmiths and hobbyist alike. Comes with release agent, dye, and complete instructions.
Manufacturer model #: 30490.“

Interesting. Wonder how this is related.... ?

Post 09 Jun 2020, 07:04 • #7 
Piscator
Absolutely agree on Phillipson.
consider that's a high-toughness epoxy resin if it can withstand the repeated shock of a rifle - note the trademark is identical.
I would guess Phillipson's first foray into use of epoxy resin.
Since he didn't stick with it, maybe he liked it on fast spinning rods, and didn't like it on fly rods.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 08:23 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The name, according to the US Patent/Trademark registration office, was first used in commerce in 1956. It was registered as a trademark by Brownell's in 1982. (http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield ... vj48zz.3.2). Once trademarked, it included the registration symbol.

Thus, some guesses. The rod, with letter-based line descriptors of the 1960s or earlier, is older than the decal, which appears to have the trademark symbol, and if so, would be from Brownell's, 1982 or later. Probably the trademark decal was supplied with the Brownell's kits or to gunsmiths who specialized in its use on custom products. Some form of the product may have been used in refinishing the rod--80s or later--and the decal applied at that time.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 09:20 • #9 
Piscator
here's a clearly-Phillipson Acraglas fly rod - could be a merchant rod commercial name
Maybe Brownells liked the trademark and resurrected it
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -290327868

Post 09 Jun 2020, 14:52 • #10 
Administrator
I don't recall seeing this label on other Phillipson rods, but there are now two examples. It is hard to tell if this is a rod shop tradename that contracted with Phillipson prior to the 3M buyout. Bill Phillipson was always willing to build rods for other companies. It might also be old Phillipson stock sold off after 3M bought the company. There are no Phillipson or 3M markings. By 1974 all the rods in the Phillipson/3M catalog had glass ferrules, so I doubt these rod blanks were built any later.

According to the Brownells website, they have been an independent company since 1947. So that eliminates the idea that Brownells picked up the tradename from a parent company. If Brownells registered the trademark in 1982, then the rods were built prior to that. The artwork for the rod and Brownells packaging certainly looks the same. The rod art has a symbol where the ® should be (I found the photo below on eBay and 'enhanced' it some with PhotoShop). I have to wonder if Brownells considered selling fly rods in the late 60s/early 70s? I would have expected the Brownells name on the rod too.

Tom

Post 09 Jun 2020, 19:41 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Has Brownells been in the fiberglass business all the time that they have been in business? It seems possible to me that the Acraglas artwork and product may have been acquired shortly before the trademark was registered? a division of another company or a small independent that sold out.

New Topic Add Reply