It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:20

New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson P-80
Post 08 Jul 2017, 18:55 • #1 
Guide
Just got this today. My first hammer-handle Phillipson in it's original blue cotton sock and square tube.

It has seen very little use and is "fishable" as advertised, but the 1st line guide on the tip has an "inelegant" repair and the line guide below the ferrule has been squashed a bit. Life with fleabay, I suppose. I'll have to find someone who can competently repair both.

Could somebody help me date this? I'm guessing early 50s?

Re: Phillipson P-80
Post 08 Jul 2017, 19:17 • #2 
Guide
Also, it came with this:

Seems like a pretty decent reel.

Post 08 Jul 2017, 21:17 • #3 
Master Guide
Those are very fun reels, light enough to balance shorter rods and really sweet clicker.
Besides, everyone needs a solid spool reel :)

Post 09 Jul 2017, 06:22 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Great. I'd be most delighted with the reel, which looks virtually unused, factory grease still in place.

Post 09 Jul 2017, 12:48 • #5 
Guide
I am very well-pleased with the reel. First one I've ever seen up close.

Post 09 Jul 2017, 19:42 • #6 
Guide
It's a left-handed retrieve reel now (need to get some Hot Sauce on it).

Post 09 Jul 2017, 20:17 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
That's in pristine shape. Enjoy!

Post 31 Jul 2017, 13:59 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Reel is sweet and a bonus to the rod with sock and the square tube! Score

Post 07 Aug 2017, 16:24 • #9 
Guide
Fun old rod. My first non-bamboo Phillipson and likely not my last.

Post 08 Aug 2017, 05:42 • #10 
Piscator
Very nice pair. Take it fishing

Post 13 Aug 2017, 15:21 • #11 
Guide
Ron:

Will this rod throw a 5-weight forward or will I need to stick with a 6-weight? It's fairly noodly, suppose I could just try it, right? And...with several lines.

Post 13 Aug 2017, 15:50 • #12 
Guide
All my phillipsons tend to prefer underlining by 1

Post 14 Aug 2017, 10:04 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I suspect at some point the rod was completely re-wrapped ,I based my opinion that the Phillipson rod has been re wrapped at some point because.
"Metallic single thread wraps were not used on Phillipson rods originally."
That's a more current trend,your rod would have had a base wrap possibly with a tipping at the outer ends.
You might want to do some research and have the rod restored to original when you have the repairs done ???
None the less the rod will be an excellent addition to your arsenal of fishing tools.

The actual given Name of the "Hammer Grip" is actually known as a Welsh Style Grip
The grip style predates Bill Phillipson by decades,the grip shape is actually very comfortable,however the shape never caught on because it was different,you see different is a problem for most fisherman because they have preconceived notions about whats best,We tend to stick with those preconceptions many times even when it's proven to not be the best option available.

I had a terrific conversation a few years ago with Tom Morgan about fly rod designs that the public had negative preconceptions about that were actually better in many cases than the accepted standards."The Norm"

The Welsh Grip was among the topics we kicked around.We also talked about Mixed Material Rods,Fiberglass Butts or Tips with Bamboo or Graphite Sections,Staggered Ferrule Rods,One Piece Rods,Double Built Rods,all sorts of different stuff.

The general conscientious between us was that it really didn't matter because the public has very deep rooted preconceptions and expectations they will not deviate from period.

" My grip has to be round and All the sections of my fly rod have to be the same length dam it !" :lol

Besides nowadays it seems everyone wants a rod that will fit in a brief case. :eek

Getting back to your Phillipson
Remember the line weight is a recommendation not a designation,the rod will handle a line weight above and below the recommendation without any trouble.
The line weight you choose to fish the rod with depends on how the rod performs best in your hands.

The AIREX fly reel is a nice Bonus and a okay choice however you may want to try a Medalist 1495 1/2 to get a proper balance again depending on what feels and performs best in your hand.

At one time I was considered the go to guy for anything Phillipson,unfortunately I'm not taking in work any longer due to health issues.
You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to help you get your Phillipson back in tip top shape .

As to a date on your rod my guess is late 50's to Mid 60's you should check the Phillipson catalog thread to get the best information about a exact date of manufacture.

Tight Lines And Phillipson Fiberglass Loops
Andy M

Post 14 Aug 2017, 13:31 • #14 
Sport
Quote:
The actual given Name of the "Hammer Grip" is actually known as a Welsh Style Grip

Andy, you DO have someone locked in to document your memoirs … right ?

Post 14 Aug 2017, 23:30 • #15 
Guide
Andy:

Thank you! You've given me alot to digest. I may just go and fish the rod for a bit before I do anything. It's a shame it isn't correct but, it shouldn't affect how it fishes. I'll start there and figure the rest out as I go.

The hammer handle information is way cool, thank you for that also. I always wondered about them on the Grangers and then on the bamboo Phillipsons. Always wanted to try one but never had the chance until now.

Post 15 Aug 2017, 04:22 • #16 
Piscator
hey Lloyd, sorry I'm late on your question.
Every glass rod I've ever tried will fish a range of lines, and some do that better than others.
Particularly rods that some call noodley.
You can under-line them and have a great dry-fly tool, especially with a DT line.
If your goal is to throw big flies maximum distance, you want a heavier line.
Very specifically, your P80 should fish fine as a tailwater trout rod with a 5-wt., nymphing hardware included.
If you want to throw big wind-resistant poppers, fish a 6.

My buddy Curtis (bassackwards, made a "guest appearance" here yesterday) caught stripers on his fishing my borrowed Teeny T130 line.

Image Image

Post 15 Aug 2017, 11:23 • #17 
Guide
Ron: Thank you! Appreciate that insight.

Would it be possible for somebody here to post some good photography of a P-80 so I can see what original wraps look like?

New Topic Add Reply