It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:53

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick FL series rods
Post 26 Jun 2017, 07:35 • #1 
Inactive
Hello,

Iam an avid Fenwick fan if you can't tell. I have some questions about the FL series rods that Fenwick sold to builders as blanks.

I have owned a FL96-5, FL90-5, FL84-5 all in 2 pc config. All of these I sold or gave away. I regret selling the 2 but the 3rd I gave to a friend whom enjoys it and I don't regret that.

Anyways, I currently own a FL72-6 6'1" 1pc yellow Fenwick and a FL72-6 6'4" 1pc brown Fenwick. The brown one is like the "glow stick" style Fenwicks. It really glows in the light. Any idea which one is older? I purchased both these rods second hand and have no idea.
What came first the yellow (chicken) or the brown (egg)? Or maybe produced in the same time frame?

Next I might have an opportunity to get a FL60-5 2pc. This rod is brown (glow) like my FL72-6. Interesting enough I never knew they made a FL60-5 and cannot find any info on this rod at all. The guy told me it's a pre feralite blank. Perhaps my brown 72-6 is also pre feralite also? Can't tell because it's one piece. Iam to understand all these are Fly rod blanks according to the FL on the rod. Right? Also if anyone has experience with the FL60-5 would you consider it comparable to the FF535? I own one of those in near mint and like it a lot.

All that said I absolutely love these rods. Great action and feel. My favorite is my FL72-6 6'4" 1pc. It's a dream to cast.

Anyways thanks for any help.

Post 26 Jun 2017, 12:48 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The yellow blanks came before the brown ones.I have a yellow FL96-6 that is the same action as the FF806 except that it doesn't have the feralite ferrule.It has a ferrule but it is a little bit wider in diameter.Your 1 piece rods are likely the same as the brown feralite minus the ferrule.Back in the early eighties these blanks cost about 15 to 20 dollars.I bought the FL96-6 blank about 2 years ago and by the time I paid for it,the shipping and the currency exchange it was $163.00 Can.I have to admit it though,it was worth it.

Post 26 Jun 2017, 12:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty sure they are two distinct lines of blanks, the yellows being a mainstay to hobbyists and custom builders. Personally, I prefer this line to any of the brown factory feralites or comparable blanks, but others will know the similarities better. For info on the yellow blanks, check here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37987

Post 26 Jun 2017, 13:01 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
You could buy the brown blanks after they finished with the yellow ones .Years ago I built 3 of them.The yellow blank I have now is an FL96-6.The later brown blank of the same model was the FL96-6F.It had the newer feralite ferrule.I still have a catalogue from 1985 showing the brown blanks for sale.

Post 26 Jun 2017, 19:24 • #5 
Inactive
I appreciate the responses. I only question which came first because the feel and act like the ff two digit Fenwicks, not the ff 3diget Fenwicks but don't appear to be made like the early only numbered Fenwicks.
I could be wrong though.

That said, I saw that thread you posted sometime ago, even on that there is no mention of a FL60-5. I find it to be an interesting rod. If they were made during the ff 2 diget series rods, there is no comparable 5' fenwick then. The 5'3" fenwick didn't show up until the FF535.

On a side note both my brown and yellow FL72-6 is only marked that way. No FL72-6F on the brown one.

Post 26 Jun 2017, 19:52 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
It is worth a journey into the forum archives with a search for yellow fenwick and just try and digest everything that is there.

My knowledge comes from these old posts.
I I think there are three lineages of the brown Fenwick glass blanks. The first were the Grizzly blanks. The fenwick book is probably the best source of information on these.
Then there were some FL blanks that were not labeled "blank". The yellow ones fit in here somehow. Then the brown Fenwick blanks that were labeled "blank". These are the same as the 3digit fenwicks.

I'm happy for someone to correct me, but that's what I seem to remember from my readings. I have had quite a few of these, but it doesn't really help in dating them. They are all old.

Post 26 Jun 2017, 20:01 • #7 
Inactive
My brown one is not labeled blank either. Neither is the FL60-5
Interesting.

Post 27 Jun 2017, 15:37 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Im going to look in the Victor Johnson book.There should be something about the FL-60-5.If there isnt it is likely a blank.Then again who knows.Ive seen red factory Fenwicks but no one else has seen them.In fact I know someone that had a red blank.

Post 27 Jun 2017, 16:06 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I looked in the Victor Johnson book and the only thing in there was an FF60.It was a 6ft. 5 wt.I looked in an old blank catalogue and the shortest blank was 6 ft..It was an FL72.There was very likely an FL60 blank but he didn't carry anything that short.Im going to check my FL96-6 and see if it says BLANK on it.Its a yellow blank.An FL60 blank is likely 5 ft.

Post 27 Jun 2017, 18:00 • #10 
Guide
I built my first rod in 1970 .It was a fl72-6 brown blank.
I wrapped it with black ond orange varigated thread.
I caught a lot of trout out of the Tellico river with it.
It died in a horrible trail bike accident.
The shop i bought the components from had plenty of brown and yellow Fenwick blanks

Post 27 Jun 2017, 22:39 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I checked my FL96-6 and there is no Blank marked on it and I know it was a blank because I built it.It definitely casts well.Image

Post 28 Jun 2017, 06:45 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I don't recall the yellows ever labeled "blank," either. I think that is because they were made exclusively for the rod-building market, so it was understood that a yellow Fenwick was a custom rod built from a blank. At least I don't recall any factory yellow Fenwick rods. I could be wrong, because if they had been defaced by the signature snowshoe webbing basket-weave wrap, I would not have looked at them long and blotted them out of my memory soon thereafter.

I would have kept checking the yellow blanks, though, because it is an excellent series. Even among today's products, a man could do worse than have a full assortment of yellow Fenwick homebuilds for all his freshwater fly fishing.

As to the marketing, again, from memory, labeling "blank" became a strategy for one reason I can think of once a line of brown feralite blanks was sold: to distinguish them from the factory models while promoting their sale through association with the factory models. If you think of the period of the fly-fishing/rod-building boom of the time, manufacturers needed to decide if they would offer blanks, and whether they would be exclusive or clearly identifiable as to the comparable factory model. Different companies tried different strategies in this regard, and it was a little trickier for OEM suppliers whose blanks were used by several marketing companies.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 07:24 • #13 
Inactive
Yes the FL60-5 is 5'.

It certainly is interesting to think about. I love these rods and agree that they are an excellent fishing tool even when compared to today's equipment.

New Topic Add Reply