It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:04

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Classic rod, new reel?
Post 22 Apr 2017, 06:55 • #1 
Guide
I have been thinking about upgrading my current arsenal of phillipsons (master in 7 ft, fished as a 5 weight, orvis golden eagle 7 1/2 fished the same way) from a martin 61/63 to an orvis battenkill ii. Reason being that the closed nature of the tuna cans is a pain and the battenkill is plain gorgeous. I am thinking the weight/balance should be tge same. Thoughts? Anybody here put modern gear on classics?

Post 22 Apr 2017, 06:57 • #2 
Piscator
form follows function.
I've never liked the caliper-clicker Martins, anyway.

Post 22 Apr 2017, 07:10 • #3 
Master Guide
"The Battenkill is plain gorgeous" is reason enough for me :). Old, new, cheap expensive, doesn't matter as long as it makes you happy. It's only fun if you do it your way! I mix and match gear all the time.

Tim

Post 22 Apr 2017, 08:53 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I mostly fish disk drag reels, with an occasional JW Young or Medalist thrown into the mix. I would definitely upgrade from the Martin 61 or 63. With rods that length and line weight, balance won't be a problem for anything.

If you already own the new battenkill, it's a no brainer. I don't look at my reel when fishing. I don't like the futuristic look of the Orvis Mirage, but if I had one, I would use it on those rods.

BTW, which Battenkill the disk or click version? New model or older model? I wouldn't buy a new Battenkill myself, but just because there are so many good used reels out there that are a better value.

Post 22 Apr 2017, 09:02 • #5 
Guide
Was thinking the new click with a couple spare spools. Can use 5 wt wullf bamboo special fpr the phillipsons and use the other for the 4 wt batson rx 6 i just built

Post 22 Apr 2017, 09:49 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The nice thing about buying a new orvis reel is that you can go into the shop and spin the reel and hear the click, and you can walk out with it the same day. Like all Orvis gear, while it might cost more than other gear, you know it's going to last.

On the flip side, there are so many other reels out there that I like more, but looking at that price range, it takes some looking. The ones that come to mind are actually vintage ovis from the 70's, the new JAF reels that are still available on the auction site. The battenkill is nice, but is the drag adjustable?

Post 22 Apr 2017, 10:13 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The drag is technically adjustable but I can't really discern any difference in the limited settings. It's not really necessary tho, since I think the range is spot on for a light trout reel.

Post 22 Apr 2017, 11:43 • #8 
Guide
It’s been a while since I had a standard 61-63 but I’m thinking they are in the 3.5 ounce range. The current Battenkill II is lighter, about 3.0. Mine weighs 3.1, loaded up with WF5 and backing right at 4.0. That might be a tad light for a lot of glass rods depending on length, weight, and reel seat. If you have something that is right at 4 ounces I would mount that up and see if you like it. If you need something about .8 ounces heavier I would consider the LL Bean Pocket Water at 3.85 ounces. I have them both and the Pocket Water is every bit as cool as the Battenkill II in my opinion.

Post 22 Apr 2017, 12:54 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I use large arbor reels on vintage glass rods. Obviously, it doesn't bother me. I'm a stickler about the rig being balanced and the foot fitting the reel seat comfortably. I have a few Phillipsons with cap & ring seats. Will the foot of the new Orvis Battenkill seat well? I doubt it. For me, Hardys seem to fit best on my Phillipson rods. The new Medalists may work too.
Sage Clicks are mighty nice but super light. If you don't mind fishing a tip heavy rig, have at it. It's not something I would go with. If you want a large arbor reel that's going to balance, consider some of the heavier ones like Aspen or Cheeky. I have an Aspen LA in the 3.5". It balances well with a few of my vintage rods.

Last edited by scud dog on 22 Apr 2017, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Apr 2017, 12:58 • #10 
Sport
Tough to beat an Orvis Battenkil I have two of them and love them both.

Post 22 Apr 2017, 13:40 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
johnl wrote:
Tough to beat an Orvis Battenkil I have two of them and love them both.

I have one and just went to see how it seats with a Phillipson 70C. It doesn't fit well. You would wind up with a significant groove in the spacer. Reels with feet that aren't too radically tapered would be better. Ross, Hardy, Islander, Vosseler and vintage Medalist come to mind.

Post 22 Apr 2017, 15:15 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I use whatever combination I want. It's me who is fishing the rig so I might as well enjoy the appearance of it.

Post 20 Jun 2017, 18:56 • #13 
Guide
Well today i sprung for a reddington zero to balance my phillipson mf70. Balances the same as battenkill II but seems simpler and drains water much better. Plus a push button spool release is much easier than the tab on the orvis. Should be an interesting setup

Post 20 Jun 2017, 20:12 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
we need pics!

Post 20 Jun 2017, 21:19 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I love vintage rods and have some vintage reels, but I almost always fish modern reels because they are soooo much nicer. My favorites are Teton and the silver Battenkill Barstock reels.

Post 20 Jun 2017, 23:36 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Be interesting to hear how you like the Zero. I had one, but returned it. Thought noise level was very high and start up inertia seemed excessive.

I've talked to others who thought they were great.

Barry

Post 21 Jun 2017, 06:16 • #17 
Guide
I'm a CFO man exclusively for trout. For the heavier fish (salmon and steelhead) I like my Billy Pate anti-reverse. I've got an Orvis SSS anti-reverse too, but the Pate has it beat.
CFO's are just music to my ears.

Post 21 Jun 2017, 09:48 • #18 
Guide
For Picket pin, She may not be the prettiest rig, paint on the label is missing a layer, she has been rewrapped a couple of timesm but this rod for me started the Phillipson Addiction a year ago. Paid $40 for it with a tuna can and missing a guide. Honestly, was there to buy the tuna can. As to the new reel, the new look is growing on me and look at that balance point.

Just a hair reel heavy for my tastes but will be perfect with 15 ft of line out. Running a 406 DT5F on it. Only line that touches my Glass. Tom makes great stuff.

Post 21 Jun 2017, 11:13 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
eric, i like it! not familiar with the reel so i can't talk to its fishing qualities, but i think that it is a good looking pairing, to my eye. a pleasant surprise, and thanks for showing. reel-wise, i am happily stuck in a vintage groove -- but that's just me :-)... i bet there are some more interesting vintage rod-modern reel/modern rod/vintage reel pairings out there...

Post 21 Jun 2017, 17:32 • #20 
Guide
Honestly, my martin which was new in box at the beginnibg of the season began getting tarnished, gummed up etc. And i couldnt hold out for an mg 3

Post 21 Jun 2017, 21:46 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
mg3's can be tough to come by in any condition. Here are three vintage glass 7-footers ... top to bottom: Fenwick FF70 with a Ryobi 255mg, Fisher with a Battenkill MKIII, Browning 322970 with Martin MG3.

Image[/quote]

Post 23 Jun 2017, 02:38 • #22 
Sport
The Purist wrote:
I'm a CFO man exclusively for trout. For the heavier fish (salmon and steelhead) I like my Billy Pate anti-reverse. I've got an Orvis SSS anti-reverse too, but the Pate has it beat.
CFO's are just music to my ears.

Nice set-up! I have the Orvis Presentation for light work and the complete Orvis SSS AR series for heavier work, I must also admit that the drag on my Pate is in a different league. That one only sees water when I expect big saltwater fish (not too many of them around here...)

Post 24 Jun 2017, 17:06 • #23 
Guide
Wow, the whole series of SSS's. It must have taken a while to assemble that collection. I hardly ever see them for sale. With mine the seller didn't know it was AR, so it really sweetened the deal for me. STH's were so very well made.

Post 24 Jun 2017, 18:19 • #24 
Sport
Thanks yes took me about 10 years to get them all, especially the 6/7 AR. Meanwhile also got several multipliers. I got the 11/12 first when I was looking for a reel that could hold the Rio grandspey 10 line at 1000 grains, just a simple reel... Wow was I in for a surprise, build quality and lightness off the charts! It started the search for more of that series.I got most from the States. A pretty rare reel as they cost up to 550 new in 1984! so not too many were sold I reckon. Drag could be heavier, but contemplating putting in new cork discs. I know that good quality thin sheets of cork are being used in the saxophone restoration business. Lets see if I can get my hands on some.

Post 25 Jun 2017, 17:54 • #25 
Sport

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply