It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:49

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Jan 2017, 10:44 • #1 
Guide
As a collector of fiberglass rods and a researcher and student of rod history for many decades, I believe it is important to accurately document the history of fiberglass rod development. In the hundreds of ads, catalogs, magazine and newspaper articles I've read over the years, they all attribute the invention of the fiberglass fly rod to Dr. Howald. It wasn't ever disputed, or even hinted at that this wasn't the case until sometime in the late 1990's and then again in the late John Merwin's 2005 article in Field and Stream in which he gives credit for the invention to Dr. Havens.
The earliest mention of Havens I've found is from a 1950 catalog which states that shortly after WW2 production began at Narmco. WW2 ended in Sept. 1945. "Shortly" is relative. We have documented proof in Dr. Howald own handwriting that he first used Plaskon resin and fiberglass for fly rods in June 1944. That's one year and three months before the end of the war. Not close in horseshoes or hand grenades. Unless someone has documentation, from the period, that Havens preceded Howald, I don't think words like "possibly"or "maybe" are historically accurate enough to take the credit from Dr. Howald. Did Dr. Havens produce the first hollow fiber glass rods? Yes.
But I've handled dozens of 1947 Glastik Wonderods, and haven't seen any 1947 Narmco rods. Is it because they broke and didn't survive? Has anyone else ever found an actual 1947 Narmco or Conolon rod?

Post 17 Jan 2017, 01:35 • #2 
Sport
Here is a news article from 1947 that mentions NARMCO and someone using Conolon rods:
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/70031952/

Post 17 Jan 2017, 06:29 • #3 
Master Guide
The Purist wrote:
As a collector of fiberglass rods and a researcher and student of rod history for many decades, I believe it is important to accurately document the history of fiberglass rod development. In the hundreds of ads, catalogs, magazine and newspaper articles I've read over the years, they all attribute the invention of the fiberglass fly rod to Dr. Howald. It wasn't ever disputed, or even hinted at that this wasn't the case until sometime in the late 1990's and then again in the late John Merwin's 2005 article in Field and Stream in which he gives credit for the invention to Dr. Havens.
The earliest mention of Havens I've found is from a 1950 catalog which states that shortly after WW2 production began at Narmco. WW2 ended in Sept. 1945. "Shortly" is relative. We have documented proof in Dr. Howald own handwriting that he first used Plaskon resin and fiberglass for fly rods in June 1944. That's one year and three months before the end of the war. Not close in horseshoes or hand grenades. Unless someone has documentation, from the period, that Havens preceded Howald, I don't think words like "possibly"or "maybe" are historically accurate enough to take the credit from Dr. Howald. Did Dr. Havens produce the first hollow fiber glass rods? Yes.
But I've handled dozens of 1947 Glastik Wonderods, and haven't seen any 1947 Narmco rods. Is it because they broke and didn't survive? Has anyone else ever found an actual 1947 Narmco or Conolon rod?

Didn't Dr. Howald invent a process of making hollow fiberglass rods stronger, rather than invent the fiberglass rod per se? My 50's vintage Shakespeare says "Howald Process."

BB

Post 17 Jan 2017, 10:06 • #4 
Master Guide
Technical progress is usually a fuzzy thing. Probably the best argument is in Victor Johnson's book Fiberglass Fly Rods that the WW II fiberglass community was small and both sides were working on similar things in the same time frame. Some people moved between companies, so people must have been generally aware of what was going on the the field. His observation was that most people he interviewed in the West gave the nod to Dr Havens and most in the East to Dr Howald. The Johnson book claims NARMCO started rod production in 1945 and that Dr Howald sold his process to Shakespeare in 1945, so both prongs in the development seemed to be roughly parallel. In an evolutionary sense, rod makers now use the concept of rolling impregnated woven cloth (even though the resin, sizing, and fibers change - the concept is the same) around a mandrel used by NARMCO rather than pulling parallel fibers along a mandrel of the Howald process. So while Shakespeare used the Howald process as a market differentiator for a long time, the industry went the route of Dr Havens methods even after the Howald patents expired.

Both sides of the WW II era fiberglass community seemed to contribute. Owens-Illinois in Toledo was the pioneer in spinning glass and later in developing fiberglass applications. The aircraft industry in the San Diego area also was a pioneer in fiberglass applications. Fishing rods were an offshoot of the FRP industry and not a driver, like aircraft and the military, and the industries in both areas were contributing. Therefore, IMHO it is important to study the FRP industry, not just the fishing rod niche. The licensing was also complex. Dr Howald sold the Howald process to Shakespeare, but Owens-Illinois cross licensed other pre-preg cloth innovations for the fishing industry.

Post 17 Jan 2017, 10:12 • #5 
Guide
Thanks Rannoch for the article. It says it is a casting rod (bait casting) and is from the Spring of 1947. It does not mention Dr. Havens. During the period in question (1944-45) patent papers show Dr. Havens working at U.S. Rubber, and later at Vultee patenting artificial limbs. In a 1960's patent, Dr. Havens describes the inherent weakness of woven glass fiber impregnated with resin. Dr. Howald didn't patent the hollow fiberglass rod for Shakespeare, I think it was a man named Scott who wrapped fiberglass spirally over the steel mandrel, then the straight glass fibers over that and wrapped spirally over that with the cellophane. These where called "Double-bilt" Wonderods in the 1959 catalog. Finally a strong hollow rod.

Post 17 Jan 2017, 10:24 • #6 
Master Guide
I had a Narmco Conolon rod, made in San Diego, that I believe was from The mid-1940s. I thought all of the pre-Costa Mesa Conolons were this early.
Anyway, I sold the rod to Carlz so I can't examine it further.

Post 17 Jan 2017, 10:29 • #7 
Guide
What gets fuzzy is memory, and unless someone can show me the patents that are claimed for Dr. Havens, the historical record shows Dr. Howald as the inventor and originator of the fiberglass rod. His patent papers show the date of his "reduction to practice" as August 1944. The patent office found no prior art. I find no evidence anywhere that Dr. Howald should share the historical honor of being the first. Hey, H. G. Wells thought about going to the moon, but I don't think he should get any credit for getting to the moon.

Last edited by The Purist on 17 Jan 2017, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Jan 2017, 15:02 • #8 
Guide
The patent for the Shakespeare hollow fiberglass rod was 2,749,643 by Arthur L. Scott filed 12/31/1952 and granted 6/12/1956. This became the "Double-bilt" Wonderod. It still used the Howald Process but without the balsa core, modified for a removable steel mandrel.

Post 17 Jan 2017, 15:25 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
It is fun and instructive to read patents, isn't it. Very easily done these days at the patent office website. I didn't research these in particular, but one place things can get murky is in simultaneous development, which "prior art" may not reveal. Sometimes in a technology, one outfit gets to the patent office first and expedites that process through clarity of the application, luck in the examiner assigned or whatever. It is possible for one to win by a hair in the technology development but lose by a hair in the patent process. Or even someone didn't realize what they had and all its potential uses, so didn't vigorously pursue a patent.

Not saying at all that is what happened here, yet when competitors--even coworkers--get busy with something new, it is common and completely understandable that there will be competing claims as to who thought of what first or did it. Often they aren't settled or understood in their time. When the smoke clears years later, I don't know that its easier to settle them at that time.

Great discussion and thanks on the patent i.d.s. Having looked up some of it years ago, I am going to have to do it again soon.

Post 17 Jan 2017, 16:14 • #10 
Guide
I'm just trying to clear up a historical record that only recently became murky. (I had to edit a recent post, the reduction to practice was August 1944 not 1945). Both Howald and Havens were patent savvy individuals with each having dozens in their names by 1944. I just can't find Havens doing that kind of work at that time to patent, regardless of what recent books say. Again, it was never ever disputed at that time by any sports magazine writer or newspaper writer that anyone other than Shakespeare made the first fiberglass rod. It was a big enough of a deal that someone would have disputed it if they could have. Just my opinion also, but I enjoy hearing what others say.

Last edited by The Purist on 18 Jan 2017, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Jan 2017, 19:51 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Lunker75 wrote:
I had a Narmco Conolon rod, made in San Diego, that I believe was from The mid-1940s. I thought all of the pre-Costa Mesa Conolons were this early.
Anyway, I sold the rod to Carlz so I can't examine it further.

Was that the 409? I thought it was from the mid 50's. Did you date this one to earlier? I can go investigate the rod tubes and look for it if you think it was pre 55. I have 50's era rods from Silaflex, Narmco, Shakespeare and possibly Fenwick (it was pre-serial number but I can't date it earlier than 1960). But I don't have any glass rod I can date to the 40's.

If I had to use a Mid 50's rod, I would use my 1290 as a 5wt and an 8.5' conolon for a longer heavier rod. For that sweet spot 8', both the Silaflex MF80 and Conolon "Live Fiber" rods were both really nice for 6/7wt rods. I don't have any Fenwicks that really go back that far, but a 1960 vintage 326 compares well against any of the 8ft Fenwicks I have.

On the down side, the later Fenwick and the 1290 are the two rods that I would actually still fish on a regular basis. I love the Conolon action but they aren't as nice as newer rods. I fish them but wouldn't give up my modern rods for them.

Post 18 Jan 2017, 10:15 • #12 
Master Guide
Carl - yes, I'm thinking of the 409 w/the blue reel seat. Don't ask me where I got the idea that the San Diego Conolons were from the '40s because I don't remember.
Another time I wish Richard (flyfishing4goldentrout) was still with us.

Post 18 Jan 2017, 22:30 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
A little searching shows one of Richard's old posts which was in response to one of Quashnet's rod pictures.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6163

edit: Lunker, yes, you are right, according to the wiki, Narmco moved to Costa Mesa in 1951.
https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Garcia_Conolon

Post 19 Jan 2017, 00:34 • #14 
Master Guide
Thanks, carlz. Nice research! That's the stuff I was thinking of.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 08:13 • #15 
Guide
Okay, I read the Wiki article, and it says "That both companies claimed the developement of the Fiberglass fishing rod about the same time with two different construction process's seems to be the fact."
Can someone show me where Narmco made this claim in 1946? Shakespeare makes this claim all over the place in 1946. And the East Coast vs West Coast thing doesn't hold water because Shakespeare was a national brand by that time and had been for decades. It seems to be more of a conjecture than "fact". Can someone name these mysterious people that left Narmco and went to Shakespeare? I know it has been written in several modern accounts, but I like facts over hearsay. Just because someone writes something in a book or on a Wiki page without naming the source of information isn't good enough for me unless that person was there when it happened. This hobby of collecting fiberglass rods and info is somewhat new and we either get it right now or it will be muddled for a very long time.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 09:29 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I don 't have a dog in the fight, and I don't even think it is worth disputing, but wartime was the impetus for a lot of early composite development; then commercial and recreational applications emerged in the mid-to-late 1940s, and more so in the 1950s. Building a better aircraft, not patent claims to establish a barely envisioned industry of the post-war boom,came first with the fervent development teams.

The record has not become murky recently; there were different claims at the time as various groups and research teams split off from one another--not necessarily out of any ill will, but just because defense needs were receding and recreational needs were emerging and commercial opportunities with them, companies reforming or newly created as a result. People take ideas and methods with them. By 1950, NARMCO advertised a "first" of tubular 'glass fishing rods.

To me, actually, the record is pretty clear; these are multiperson development outcomes with slightly variant methods and timing of actual patent applications.

As for what newspapers or sports writers said . . . . For goodness sakes, few are more gullible than newspaper journalists and outdoor writers (in that order), who often believe the last person they talked to, especially if some freebies went with the conversation. They are easily manipulated by good marketing personnel who make it less work for them to produce a story. The most they might do is reflect the competing claims of various companies, but if one company wins the advertising battle, the writers help rewrite the history, which they may know little about. I can guarantee they didn't go to DC to do a patent search or log on to the website as we can do today to read 1940s and early '50s "fiberglass" patents and see the burst of development and intertwined researchers, companies, and methods.

If credit is really important, it goes to teams led by top people impelled by wartime demands that drove and led to the plastics revolution, and the commercial recreation boom. It could also be said that there were conflicting claims at the time, and many with no interest in naming a winner. The specific date of any one patent application or award wouldn't necessairly i.d. a winner, either.

If that wasn't sorted out in its time, it won't be today. "Among the first successful hollow fiberglass . . ." is probably a sufficently accurate characterization.

http://www.whitefishpress.com/bookdetail.asp?book=182

Post 19 Jan 2017, 09:30 • #17 
Master Guide
Here is another link on the NARMCO side: https://mitchellreels.ourboard.org/foru ... ?f=77&t=67

This timeline seems to link up with Jeska and official Shakespeare site. Pilot production out of a research facility in 1946 and opening up a full-scale commercial plant in 1947 (Costa Mesa, CA and Columbia, SC).

The back stories could be different, but had to be timed similarly to have full scale production at the same time, especially since both were more focused on wartime activities until recently. IMHO, The business arrangements seem to be different leading to different publicity. Plaskon and NARMCO were basically material suppliers and did research to generate applications for their materials. Plaskon brought Shakespeare, an established tackle company, on board early in rod development. NARMCO seemed to start rod production as a sideline - they weren't a tackle company. That to me would cause a big difference in marketing and publicity.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 09:42 • #18 
Guide
In late 1944 Dr. Havens is applying for patents that he assigns to US Rubber, in 1947 he is applying for patents for artificial limbs that he assigns to Convair Vultee. As I said earlier, Dr. Havens did patent a method for hollow fiberglass fishing rods in the '50's. So yes the full honor of being the first to develope the first hollow glass rod goes to him, but not the first fiberglass fly rod. Not a big deal to some, but a big deal to others. Even Havens recognized the inferiority of the woven glass fiber rod later. Hence his patent for a method of manufacturing parallel glass fiber rods and 3M's unidirectional glass fiber rods. If someone wants to say that both were developing the first fiberglass fly rods at the same time, the historical record does not support their claim.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 12:10 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Semantics. Sorry, I misunderstood based on the opening post phrase "invented the fiberglass flyrod" which would be a stretcher for any of the "contenders," since they developed a material and methodology to producing fishing rods in general that could be applied to fly rods, which had already been invented. The "first" patentable development claims would be for hollow/tubular/flexible/ fiberglass shafts/rods.

First to market, first to produce, could be. Applying the technology to a marketing choice to produce fly rods would be a team project as well.

If this is the 1946 (date of application) Howald item referred to, note the title. I didn't read it all over again, but it doesn't appear that fly rod is the distinguishing element. http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0& ... S%3DHowald

First to develop, not clear at the time for the reasons explained. Developer of the method that became the industry norm is also clear.

I gotta say, it is fun to read through these, looking at the various perspectives in originality from which a claim is derived. For anybody who hasn't done it, be sure to look at the references and related patents cited at the end and often in the text as well. Read those and figure it out for yourself.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 13:34 • #20 
Guide
Shakespeare had no rod production facilities at that time. All rod production ended at Shakespeare in the early 1930's. So Shakespeare had no rod factory or machinery in 1944, but I'm to believe that Narmco did have these facilities, techniques, knowledge, expertise in place but didn't beat Shakespeare to production? It was probably more like Narmco saw what Howald and Shakespeare were doing, and in a forehead slapping moment said "Hey, we could do that too!"

Post 19 Jan 2017, 14:21 • #21 
Guide
The first Howald prototypes were fly rods, but the first Wonderods brought to market (late 1946) were bait casting rods. No balsa cores, no ferrules, probably much easier to make. The fly rod model 1390 (the 3 indicates 3 piece) was first in early 1947, then the 1290 ( the 2 indicates 2 piece) came next. I still think it is amazing that Shakespeare went from zero to full production in a little over a year. I wasn't around in 1946 to know, but I'm sure 1946 was a whole different world than 1944 was!

Post 19 Jan 2017, 17:21 • #22 
Master Guide
I'm being a devil's advocate, but if the Costa Mesa plant was in full fishing rod production by February 1947 like the NARMCO employees claim they copied Shakespeare very quickly.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 18:13 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Trademark history gives some clues also because of "first use in commerce" documentation, March 1947 for a trademark exclusively relative to fishing rods, Conolon. Wonderod has a longer history that predates fiberglass rods, and there are more variations to be considered. Some trademark apps are anticipatory of production, some after the name has been in use (as in the case of Conolon). You have to read deeper in the records than I want to in order to sort it out by manufacture/sale and so on. Actually, I want to but I don't want to put the time in. For a little more, use the "expand all" button half down the right side of the page.

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=71580 ... atusSearch

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=71502 ... atusSearch

Post 20 Jan 2017, 07:43 • #24 
Guide
The Wonderod trademark does not predate fiberglass rods. Shakespeare was in the development phase with Dr Howald in October 1945 and the trademark application is dated 1946. The word they didn't get a trademark for was Glastik, and had to stop using it. The word Wondereel had been trademarked in the 1930's and so Wonderod was a natural choice. I think Wonderline was also in use by then.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 14:42 • #25 
Guide
I stand corrected. I looked at the USPTO site for trademark info, and it looks like Shakespeare's first use in commerce for the word Wonderod is the same as the word Wondereel. The Wondereel was introduced in 1939, and Shakespeare must have anticipated a rod named Wonderod but didn't market. It could be that they were planning on one, but with WW2 breaking out in 1941 they were not able to follow through. Then, before the war ended, along came Dr. Howald and the prospects of a truly wonder of a rod. Wonderline didn't enter the scene until the late 40's. Thanks Whrlpool.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply