It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:39

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Apr 2015, 04:48 • #1 
Sport
Based on a post I had recently of an old Shakespeare spinning rod, and results of this rod, thanx to midmofly.....
(SP-A521 • SKP • GoldCup Prof.Dlx WR • 1967 • spinning/rod • 7ft)....

What then would I look for within the Shakespeare line if I wanted to find a fly rod of this same size, etc?
I was lead to believe some of the rods back then were the same flex and tip action and were then marketed as either a spinning rod or fly rod.
So what am I looking for as in a fly rod with this same action, while surfing the internet for a used (marketed) fly rod of this nature? Is there a certain
numbering system as a key to the action on rods that I should be aware of?

Last edited by whrlpool on 21 Apr 2015, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
Displayed photo. Use the IMG code, please.

Post 21 Apr 2015, 06:27 • #2 
Master Guide
mycorkhandle2----below, I will give you a sight that tells all or most info on Shakespeare fly rods:
http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/ ... hakespeare

I do not know if kwik taper in spinning and kwik taper in fly rods is the same. Shakespeare did not make a lot of 7' fly rods and the ones they did had a different taper than kwik (more full flexing), also, 7' rods usually cost a bunch more. If you want that kwik taper cast, most of the kwik taper rods are going to be around 7'9" and rate for 6wt (5 wt line may work).
The above sight will give you all the info you should need, but if you need any other help, PM me.
Gary

Post 21 Apr 2015, 09:19 • #3 
Sport
Yes, I'm familiar with the Shakespeare site with info, thanx.
And, your input on the kwik taper of rods is appreciated, I guess any of the "full flex" rods are my favorites. If I knew more of some of these full flex's in other rod manufacturers it would be fun to search the internet for perhaps obtaining a couple. In my earlier life of fly fishing, I bought an Orvis, 5wt SuperFine...I'm sorry I let it go. The smaller rods work well in some of the small streams I prowl, so anything below an 8ft works out. Something with a light touch in tight surroundings.
Bob

Post 21 Apr 2015, 09:42 • #4 
Master Guide
Bob----look at any of the panfish special or any 7' models that are for "HEH" line---very nice rods. Also, rods that are marked standard
taper are fuller flexing.
Good Luck,
Gary

Post 21 Apr 2015, 13:06 • #5 
Guide
mycorkhandle2 wrote:
What then would I look for within the Shakespeare line if I wanted to find a fly rod of this same size, etc?
Is there a certain
numbering system as a key to the action on rods that I should be aware of?

Basically... no.

If you can get access to old Shakespeare catalogs you'll find complete lines of rods under the same model #. For example, '73 listed Presidential 515 Wonderod Series with 12 different rods, all with 515 in the model# with a different prefix; BC=baitcast, PB=pushbutton, SP=spinning, FY=fly. The BC and PB rods also had letters L, M, MH, H at the end designating the action. SP and FY rods had no such letters. The action was listed in the description. Some rods have the exact same # but the lengths are different.
You'll also find the similar 340 Series listed. The rod model lineup is nearly identical, but the wrap colors are different and there are different quality guides and handles. The 340 series was a less expensive line than the 515 series. Are the blanks the same? Comparing similar models, eg, SP-515 7' and SP-340 7' it's possible, but not necessarily across types. The longest SP is 7', but the shortest FY is 7'9", so there's not a direct equivalent.
Add in the fact that Shakespeare changed model series #s from year to year. The Presidential series had several different #s in different years as they changed components. In '79 it was the 508 series and the PB style had disappeared and there were more SP models, but there is still an SP-508 7' that looks much the same as the earlier SP-515 7'. By '81 the Presidential series was a lower end line as Ugly-Stik and Graphite became TOTL.
So, Shakespeare may have used the same blank in several different series over many years, but IMHO there's no direct numbering system to follow to know which are the same. You may be able to study the catalogs to see if there's an FY-521 7' fly rod listed along with your SP-521 or follow the blank in another series.
I'm still convinced your SP-521 is a spinning rod, even though it can cast a fly line.

New Topic Add Reply